Push-Ups

Options
stellaluna431
stellaluna431 Posts: 35 Member
Anyone doing the program seeing improvements in their ability to do push-ups? I'm only on week 2. I've never been able to do a push-up in my life, and I have serious doubts that I'm ever going to be able to. I try, of course, and I'll keep trying.

I read about people who have finished this program saying they couldn't do a single push-up before it started and now they can do one-armed military push-ups. With an "s"- that is MULTIPLE one-armed military push-ups. That's crazy to me.

So have you seen improvements? I can't even make it through one of the one-minute sessions of modified push-ups without my arms shaking uncontrollably and giving up on me. I get back up and keep trying, but it's hard to see a future where that doesn't happen haha.

Replies

• bjpressley85
    bjpressley85 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have had a little bit improvements on my push ups..... not as much as i would like! My girly push up have totally improved, but I am still struggling with military push ups. Hopefully with time!
  • berrygirl2013
    berrygirl2013 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm only in week one of BR, but I've done the 30 Day shred and Ripped in 30 Days twice, and I found after the first round..I could do a decent amount of military push ups, without giving it too much thought. A definite improvement from the first day where I couldn't even do one haha. Don't worry, as your body gets stronger you'll end up surprising yourself with what you can do. Just give it your best shot! :smile:
  • hollyelise68
    hollyelise68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I did a round where I stayed in girly pushups. I then did a month of P90x where you do an insane amount of pushups, all with different hand placement. I found if my hands are under my shoulders I can do a lot, but when I move them down where they are under my chest I can't do them, or many. I was still doing girly style, but try moving your hands. I think I just don't have the chest strength and moving my hands up allowed me to use more shoulder.
  • MissBounceUK
    MissBounceUK Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I still really struggle with push-ups - I refuse to do them on my knees, but I'm VERY slow and I don't get as deep in to the movement as I would like to. I'm hoping this will improve with time, but it's frustrating that after nearly a month, I still feel like a bit of a weakling when it comes to this particular exercise. :-(
  • AZ0310
    AZ0310 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm on week three and still doing them on my knees. I've never been able to do push-ups. I looked up how to do push-ups and am practicing. A couple of suggestions was to work on holding plank for a minute first. The next step was to just go as low as you can and hold it a bit then go back up, gradually getting stronger. I've seen other suggestions to start with wall push-ups.

I have noticed a lot of improvement though. I was really struggling with modified push-ups the first week.
  • clarebailey355
    clarebailey355 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second round of BR. I was doing push-ups on my knees the first go round but eventually I was able to progress to military style. My range of motion isn't as big as some of the guys on the DVD (Omar is practically kissing the floor!) but you'll work up to it eventually.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. Ive been doing JM workouts since 2011 starting with 30 day shred, then No more trouble zones and in the beginning I did 4 straight and then the rest on my knees, now my pb is 27 straight push ups.
  • cactuswax
    cactuswax Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Women are built differently! It takes a ton of repetition over time to build up those muscles and pull off successful push ups. Not saying it's impossible though ;) Just takes a ton of pushing yourself.

I will say that after seven weeks, and having done crow push-ups for 3 rounds now, I'm almost able to completely pull them off. When I started I couldn't really do a full pushup. Loving them now!
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    During my first round of the program I was doing the more complicated push up moves on my feet by the end. I do still sometimes need to go to my knees depending on what other moves are in the workout that might make my arms a little week. I am in my second round on my last week next week. I can say in Workout 11, there are three different push up moves (each in a different circuit thankfully.) I can do the crow pushups just fine in the beginning. By the time I get to the push up with the band, my arms feel taxed and I can only do a few. Forget about the last push up where you jump your hands out. I am too afraid to land on my face.

So I can do them, but no way can I do one armed. Also, I am not sure if my hands are in the best position. They may be out a little from my shoulders. It seems that way after I do a few anyway.
  • eternalone88
    eternalone88 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes you will get stronger and be able to do full push-ups and all different types. When I started the program a year ago I couldn't even do a sit up or plank since I would shake so bad but as time goes on your body gets so fit that you'll be amazed I love the feeling to be able to do plank ups. Good luck!
  • kristymack22
    kristymack22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The best way to get better at doing push ups is to do them constantly during the day. When you wake up do 5 or set a goal, at some point do them during the day, even if you are standing and pushing off a wall, and then again at night do a few before bed. I am in the army, now the army reserves so I am trying to get back into the shape I use to be. Doing them a few times a day and setting a goal, maybe 5 per set the first week, 7 the next week and so on, has helped me in the past to prepare for a physical fitness test.
  • EternalRho1922
    EternalRho1922 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is my first round of JMBR. I could not do any pushups before I started. During phase 1 and phase 2 I did all the pushups in modified position. I just started phase 3 this week. I was able to do the pushup jacks without any modification. I did however do them at a slower pace, 5 pushup jacks to their 8 pushup jacks in a set. So you will get stronger, but it will take time. Hand placement also makes a big difference, so listen to Jillian and watch carefully when they are doing the sets of pushups during the first few weeks.
  • 365toAwesome
    365toAwesome Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you can work up to 50 modified knee push-ups, you'll be able to do military push-ups. Jillian does work and you will be doing push-ups :)
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I could do like 3, and it was a struggle. Now I can do up to 35, but a lot of times is more like 22-25 push-ups. And I don't struggle at all until like 12. Pretty cool! I love Jillian!
  • actiontime26
    actiontime26 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    push up are hard. You have to lift all you body weight with your arms. You do get better at the end. I'm at week 11 and military push-up is much easier. I can do 10-11 out of 12 compare to 4 or 5 ( both on my feet). However, I have to say that the 3 step push-up is a KILLER! haha
  • MissBounceUK
    MissBounceUK Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Just when I thought my push-ups were improving, I started week 7 today of JMBR and Jillian throws in Crow Push-Up - yikess!!! Not fun!
  • actiontime26
    actiontime26 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    haha Jillian is a push-up and plank freak hahah..You will get new challenge in 9 and 11 with the push-up you never thought you could do it that way.
  • stellaluna431
    stellaluna431 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I finished phase one yesterday and, though I still can't do a regular push-up, I can tell you I am definitely seeing improvement in my upper body strength and the modified push-ups are slowly becoming easier. I'm sure that adding in a daily dose of yoga is helping with that too. I look forward to seeing what I can do after phase 2!! Thanks for all your encouragement and tips!