What cued you to rest longer or repeat a week?

Options
goldthistime
goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
If you took an extra rest day or didn't move to the next level when you were supposed to what triggered that decision? Sore knees would definitely slow or stop me. But what about just tight calves? I want to move on to Week 3 but can't decide whether I am being reckless or a baby.

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Tight calves are a cue to get happy with a foam roller or a tennis ball

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/foam-roller-calves

And STRETCH regularly.
  • goldthistime
    Options
    Thank you. Great advice.
  • cahors97
    cahors97 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did week 1 for a week and a half and just did the first day of week 2 last night. For me, I still felt like I was trying way too hard to get through a workout to move on. I figured that if I had to work that hard then I wasn't ready to move on. I don't know if that's a correct assessment or not, but it's what worked for me. When I went to week 2 last night I didn't think I could finish the whole 20 minutes, but I did. I feel like if I'm working so hard to do one workout then I'm not ready to move on to the next one.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I did week 1 for a week and a half and just did the first day of week 2 last night. For me, I still felt like I was trying way too hard to get through a workout to move on. I figured that if I had to work that hard then I wasn't ready to move on. I don't know if that's a correct assessment or not, but it's what worked for me. When I went to week 2 last night I didn't think I could finish the whole 20 minutes, but I did. I feel like if I'm working so hard to do one workout then I'm not ready to move on to the next one.

You probably need to slow down during the workout too.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I went on this same principle! I felt if I was finding it hard, really hard I wasn't ready for harder. I often found 2nd or 3rd time I did the same one I'd want to keep running past where they said to walk or do something else (I do Zombies5K). Which is an awesome feeling and makes me so excited for the next run....almost worth repeating one for that feeling lol!
    x
  • luciafernanda
    luciafernanda Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    week 3 sucked...I did it like 6 times, and it kept getting harder!!

Maybe I was running too fast. I've finally slowed down now I'm on week 5.

Also, I wasn't bothering with rest days. I was running every time I went to the gym. Sometimes three days in a row, and the third day would kill me, and then I would punish myself because I would think "you did it on Monday easily...why do you suck today..." :/

Now I've slowed down and I'm making the effort to fix my social life so that I don't feel the need to run two days in a row before a three day break. I did week 4 in time, and now I'm doing week 5 on schedule :)
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    If I felt like the last workout was too hard, I would not move onto the next week until it felt easy enough, as if it were a challenge I'd overcome and if I did it again, it would not feel like it challenged me at all.

As for rest days, I would take them every other day . . . although when I first did C25K, I would only run 3x a week.
  • goldthistime
    Options
    Love the input from others and from vardaeml of course. I ignored my "tight calves" problem I had initially and continued on. My worry was that I have had many strains and overuse injuries over the years, but I was lucky this time. I did buy a foam roller btw, and use it often.

Things were progressing swimmingly for me until I got the flu. I did week 7 day 1 without batting an eyelash, but have tried week 7 day 2 twice since the flu and have been unable to complete it. Hoping the third time is the charm, but if I have to keep repeating for a while longer, so be it.