Young with Chronic Pain

Options
Anyone else in this group under 30 with chronic pain? Just looking for some help to stay motivated. It's hard to look like a healthy 24 yr old but be unable to even carry a backpack.

I'd appreciate any new friends though!

Replies

• crankymagpie
    crankymagpie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a little over 30 (a little less than my profile says; I never tell the truth about my birthday, online :)). So... youngISH. Creakier and in more pain than seems right for my age, anyway.
  • Portlandmom
    Portlandmom Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Have you tried weights with the machines? Another thing I just started was aqua classes at the new gym that I joined. If has been helping me.
  • hippiebutterfly
    Options
    I am 27 been dealing with chronic pain for 4 years. have been told by doctors that I am too young to be in so much pain ( I have issues with my back) I do yoga most days of the week. I have found that if I keep moving that helps.
  • BecauseIamAwesome
    BecauseIamAwesome Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here and looking over all the topics. I am 28, and have suffered chronic pain since a neurological injury when I was 11...though it's gotten much worse in the last decade.
  • Cate1492
    Cate1492 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm 22 and I've been fighting with my pain since I was 18. I lost a great job 2 years ago because I wasn't dealing with my fibro very well. The thing is, when you feel sorry for yourself and ask, "why me? why does this have to happen to me?" every twinge and ache is magnified tenfold. At least that's how it was for me. I will never know why, and I had to accept that and force myself to do a little exercise at a time and add more as I felt I could handle it. I found that the key is to build muscle. When we're in pain, all we want to do is be still, take a nap, try to relax the pain away; but what we're really doing is relaxing our muscles away and it's making the pain worse. Work on muscle building, low impact, and a little cardio every day. Build up to using more weight and doing cardio longer. If you need it, physical therapy will teach you invaluable tools. Whatever you do, don't give in to the pain and the fatigue. It can be like quicksand, if you give it an inch, it'll suck you in a foot.
  • Chillyfrog
    Chillyfrog Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm 22 and I've been fighting with my pain since I was 18. I lost a great job 2 years ago because I wasn't dealing with my fibro very well. The thing is, when you feel sorry for yourself and ask, "why me? why does this have to happen to me?" every twinge and ache is magnified tenfold. At least that's how it was for me. I will never know why, and I had to accept that and force myself to do a little exercise at a time and add more as I felt I could handle it. I found that the key is to build muscle. When we're in pain, all we want to do is be still, take a nap, try to relax the pain away; but what we're really doing is relaxing our muscles away and it's making the pain worse. Work on muscle building, low impact, and a little cardio every day. Build up to using more weight and doing cardio longer. If you need it, physical therapy will teach you invaluable tools. Whatever you do, don't give in to the pain and the fatigue. It can be like quicksand, if you give it an inch, it'll suck you in a foot.
    I have been dealing with Fibro for almost 20 yrs, everything ^^she^^ said is right. Don't give in to it and don't let it rule you.
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with chronic pain in both feet since I was 19. I'm 42 now so I'm not young but I was very young when I got it. It was the result of a work accident where both feet were crushed by a 5000 lb generator. I'm actually still recovering from yet another reconstructive surgery to my right foot I had in July last year. My profile pic displays the swelling. I've had 22 operations to my right foot and 15 to my left. I'm scheduled to have another reconstruction for my left next month.

So after 23 years of living with chronic pain & numerous surgeries, I can offer a lot of advice: despite all the pain, keep looking up, always, always stay positive. It doesn't do you nor your loved ones any good to feel sorry for yourself. It'll get you down then you don't want to stay healthy and can lead to overeating. Keep moving. If you can walk, then do so. Even if it's only a couple steps at a time, do it. If you're sitting on the couch watching TV, still think about moving if it's not too painful: leg raises, ankle flexing, twiddle your toes, move your arms.

Have you tried swimming? To help prepare for my latest round of surgeries, I did DDP Yoga for 6 months. It combines a few yoga poses, with cardio, isometrics and strength building. You raise your heart rate while standing still.

This is a quote from a children's novel that I've posted in another forum here at MFP:

"Take pride in your pain. You are stronger than those who have none." - Lois Lowry, The Gathering

The same is with me, people don't see the pain unless I show them my feet. Most times I put on a happy face and act like nothing is wrong. If you have chronic pain, own it but don't let it own you. All of you are strong having to continually deal with it. Don't ever forget that :smile:
  • kmouse2
    kmouse2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Well said EchoDelta890 - don't let your pain own you! Keep moving and gaining strength and be proud of yourself in everything that you do. People without chronic pain don't understand that just getting out of bed some days is a real struggle - but we overcome that struggle and get on with our day. That is really something to be proud of - then if you accomplish anything more that day - rejoice!!! try building more core strength - a good PT can help with that. Take care of yourself and make it so you own your pain and be very proud of all your daily accomplishments. Hugs
  • andreyadonna
    Options

This is almost exactly what I had to say. I'm 25 and I've been surviving Fibro since I was 15 1/2. Sometimes it's so hard to move when you are in pain, but move you must. I've spent a lot of free time in pools in my life. Swimming works the muscles and reduces stress on them at the same time. I always sleep like an angel after a good swim.
  • Lady_Clarington
    Lady_Clarington Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    28 years here & been in pain since I was 19. It sucks but the idea of NOT being here sucks even more.
  • LilyMammoth
    LilyMammoth Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 and was diagnosed in February with psoriatic arthritis in my S.I. joint, knee, wrists, and elbows. I just assumed for the longest time that the pain in my knee and S.I. joint was due solely to being overweight.
  • harktosh
    harktosh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    25 here. I have been diagnosed with scoliosis, degenerative joint disease, and facet arthritis. Never thought I would be young and feel like I'm pushing 100, but here I am. Ended up in physical therapy after rupturing a disc in my back. You're definitely not alone!!
  • Thezestiest
    Thezestiest Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm 31 now, but I was diagnosed with fibro when I was under 30. I've been suffering from pain ever since I can remember - but didn't know what it was before about 5 years ago.

I definitely recommend exercising in water - either swimming or aqua aerobics. I did physical therapy in a pool and it was a lot less painful than regular PT.

Know you are not alone, and try to stay positive no matter what happens! It really does help.
  • MonicaJumper
    Options
    I'm 28 now. I've had scoliosis since I was 14, and got diagnosed with fibromyalgia, lumbar arthritis, degenerative disc disease, and some other fun stuff when I was 24. I'm one of those rare cases where the scoliosis continues to get worse over time. You are definitely not alone :) just keep going, but be careful not to injure yourself. Be kind to yourself. We can do this!

I suggest everyone read "The Spoon Theory". I forget who wrote it, but a quick search will find it. Its very enlightening and helpful. Also good to show friends and family who don't understand.

I wish everyone the best of luck! Feel free to add me :)
  • jjsupersmack
    jjsupersmack Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 22, diagnosed with chronic back pain at 12 and fibromyalgia at 20. Also I'm currently adding "pregnancy aches and pains" onto the list, but I'll get to scratch those off in a couple months ;)

Feel free to add me as well!
  • willo78
    willo78 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm 35 and have Ehlers-Danlos III (Hypermobility Syndrome) which is a genetic condition causing all of my connective tissues to be too stretchy which means lots of pain, subluxations and dislocations on a daily basis.

I agree with the others who've said that you should try not to get into the 'woe is me' way of thinking though that is easier said than done, especially if you're not managing your pain well at that particular moment in time. I've found that a combination of painkillers, anti-inflammatories and low dose of antidepressant to help my sleep pattern along with regular exercise (even if it's 'just' walking the dog twice a day) has certainly helped me manage my pain better.

It's really frustrating having a hidden illness because people don't see the illness - they see a 'healthy person' in front of them who should just get on with it and do what others of their age are doing... not trying to figure out what activities they can manage that day and what impact said activities will have on the following day. Spoon theory in a nutshell - you have so many spoons per day, each activity costs a set number of spoons, if you spend too many spoons today you'll not have enough spoons to manage tomorrow.

Feel free to add me if you like, I still remember my 20's lol, not least because I only got a diagnosis towards the end of them!
  • OriginalKatie
    OriginalKatie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 27, had chronic pain for about three or so years. I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I used to train a lot more intensely until I developed fibromyalgia. Now I have to exercise lightly, which is frustrating. My goals have changed a bit. I still want to lose the weight I've put back on, but for the time being my goal is pain management. I think staying motivated is a big challenge every day for me, but I think that setting small goals for your self and being organised/planning ahead helps.
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    ravenclawseekergirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm raven. I've had chronic pain since I was 14, I'm 21 now. It started in both of my big toes and now...well if you think of a joint and/or muscle and I have it there now. It slowly spread throughout my body over the intervening years. Apparently it's because I have hyper mobility syndrome. But...well Like you I suppose I've often felt very alone. When I was in school, it was awful not being able to keep up with my friends when we went out places. Slowly over time i lost friends, because when it's cold it's agonising for me to walk. I realized lately that I don't actually remember what not being in pain feels like.
    I used to be very sad and wonder why I was trapped inside the body of an old lady, but i've made my peace with it at last i think. Maybe I've got used to the pain, or maybe it's got used to me. Losing 5 stone/70+lbs has helped me to be able to sleep better at night. So maybe it's that I'm now getting somewhere near the right amount of sleep. :happy: