Beginner Lifting Programs

Options
MrsG31
MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
Been reading reviews of the New Rules of Lifting for Women book -I think I may just see if my library has a copy and make photo-copies of the exercises routines. Any other lifting info out there for beginners that you have tried and liked?

I have been *trying* to go to the gym 2 nights a week and do a full-body routine using the machines. I go to the Y and use the Activtrax system; it prints out a work-out plan for me, mostly machines but some free weights stuff as well like arm rows and squats. My gym also just moved into a new building recently and the Incline Chest Press machine is still in storage (which I HATE that machine), so a trainer showed me how to do my own chest press using the Smith machine. Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed that much more than the #27 machine!

But I want to do more! My big goal for this spring is to start getting up early 2 or 3 days a week and going the gym when it opens at 5am. Too much stuff going on in the evenings, too many times does our schedule get interrupted and I can't make it to the gym. I would still need to have time to take a shower when I get back before I get the kids up and ready for the day. I normally end a strength-training session by hitting the elliptical or treadmill for 10-15 minutes and that is what makes me all sweaty. I have been thinking of paying for some personal training sessions to get me started, but not sure if any of them do 5am sessions.

Also...I have been wondering.....the women on here who lift and focus on strength-training.....do you have friends in Real Life that also lift? Because I don't personally know anyone who does. Most of my friends either run (a lot) or don't do anything. My younger sister and her friends are really the ones I know who lift....but that is because they are all group ex fitness instructors and they do it for a living. Other than that....can't think of any one. Maybe I need new friends? LOL

Replies

• EmmiDahling
    EmmiDahling Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 5 of You Are Your Own Gym using the app on my phone and I love it! I hate going to a gym, so it's perfect for me that I can do it in my living room wherever it fits into my evening. I'm seeing changes in my body size and strength, but don't have the knowledge base necessary to compare it to something like NROWLFW.

I don't have any friends in real life who lift, but I'm an exercise loner so it works out fine for me.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Just start by reading NROL4W first- it's full of great info(some is a bit outdated, admittedly). It's is a wonderful intro to why women should lift. The program is solid. I started it as a complete newb and saw excellent results. Starting Strength is supposed to be good as well.

No one I am friends with in real life lifts. I've been made fun of by family and friends, I've been told how wrong it is for women to lift heavy. It doesn't matter- the research is sound and my results are proof enough for me.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Check out strongholds 5x5 - there is a women's group on MFP that has a breakdown of the program. It is a free program you can download, just google it. Be aware the site is geared for guys so a lot of brostick.

Also Startling Strength is another good read.
  • btwinkyb
    btwinkyb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation, so thanks! :-)
  • Becky2816
    Becky2816 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started StrongLifts 5x5 today with the hubs. Anyone else doing that program?
  • jschneidrn
    Options
    Are any of these programs good for doing at home? I no longer have a gym membership but need a good program to follow. Thanks!!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I bought an olympic barbell set for $200 from D*ck's Sporting Goods (can't name the store, since it gets flagged due to being spelled like a male body part.)

I downloaded the Stronglifts 5x5 app on my cellphone, and lift at home. :)
  • hskriver
    hskriver Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend checking out Nia Shank's website (http://www.niashanks.com). She has a lot of information about weight lifting and lots of different programs you can purchase. I used to do NROL4W, but recently switched to her free beginning strength training guide and love it (http://www.niashanks.com/womens-beginner-strength-training-guide-lift-like-a-girl/). I like that it is simple and customized to your needs and preferences - you choose the exercises from a list. I'll be moving on to one of the programs in her e-books soon. With Nia's programs, I better understand why each exercise is included and how to modify the program if there is something in there that just isn't working for me. I found NROL4W to be a bit too much in the later stages, but I was afraid to adjust anything since I wasn't sure how.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    hskriver wrote: »
    I would also recommend checking out Nia Shank's website (http://www.niashanks.com). She has a lot of information about weight lifting and lots of different programs you can purchase. I used to do NROL4W, but recently switched to her free beginning strength training guide and love it (http://www.niashanks.com/womens-beginner-strength-training-guide-lift-like-a-girl/). I like that it is simple and customized to your needs and preferences - you choose the exercises from a list. I'll be moving on to one of the programs in her e-books soon. With Nia's programs, I better understand why each exercise is included and how to modify the program if there is something in there that just isn't working for me. I found NROL4W to be a bit too much in the later stages, but I was afraid to adjust anything since I wasn't sure how.

I love Nia Shanks and am currently following her 4-day/week upper/lower split. As a beginner, I started with StrongLifts 5x5, moved to NROL4W, then an intermediate bodybuilding and powerlifting combined program. So far, Nia's stuff is my favorite.

I don't have any GIRL friends IRL who lift, but a lot of guy friends who do, so I talk to them a lot.
  • PRguez
    PRguez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    hello,
    I have been trying to stick to a gym routine with no success! I have no program, i tried TNRL for women but no luck there, i think because some exercises i need space and weights that are always taken by the macho-men in my gym :(
    any recommendations of a program that it is easy to start with? i always believed in strength training as opposed to cardio only! x
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    PRguez wrote: »
    hello,
    I have been trying to stick to a gym routine with no success! I have no program, i tried TNRL for women but no luck there, i think because some exercises i need space and weights that are always taken by the macho-men in my gym :(
    any recommendations of a program that it is easy to start with? i always believed in strength training as opposed to cardio only! x

Pick a program and stick to it. If you need equipment, ask the guy at the (insert machine/bench/rack here) how many more sets they have. Don't make excuses to not get your workout in. You can do this!
  • Surfingbodi
    Surfingbodi Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hey PR! Good to see you again (just responded to post of your in other thread). So I feel same way about the guys and the racks. What I am doing that seems to be working is finding the times that that area of the gym is slower. M-F after work is NOT a good time probably. I am doing the 5x5 strong lifts 3x per week so that makes it easier as it isn't that many days (I do other things as well on other days). Also, I can do everything off the floor but the chest press and the squats so I try to make it clear I am 'in line' to the guys if there are any using the racks I need. While I am waiting for them to finish, I do my floor things (dead lift, barbell rows, bench press as we have a few benches so not so hard to get a free one). I hope this helps!