What is your favorite running book?

Options
I love to run. And I love to read. And somehow, I just discovered running books.

I've read Born to Run (LOVED it) and Eat and Run (thought it was ok, not great). I also just ordered Running and Being: The Total Experience.

What other books about running do you recommend, either to read, or avoid? Either informational, or more story/memior-ish like the above two I've read.

Thanks!

Replies

• DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I loved Marshall Ulrich's book "Running on Empty". I also really enjoyed "Relentless Forward Progress" by Bryon Powell. It really helped me out when I ran my first Ultra a few years ago.
  • legallyblonde916
    legallyblonde916 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Great thread! :)

ChiRunning
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Great thread! Must check out born to run.

Ugh so annoying I'm at work my kindle is at home I got a fantastic kindle single ages ago about this guy who was a chronic alcoholic, gave it up and took up running. It is brilliant, so so honest I loved it. Unfortunately cannot for the life of me think of the name of it. I will check in this evening and let you know.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I've read Advanced Marathoning and Matt Fitzgerald's book about nutrition for marathon training. Both really good as far as information and learning about the sport of running. I'm going to have to check out some of these others. :)
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It's in a bit of a different vein, but one of my favorites was What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. It's beautifully written.

I also really liked Relentless Forward Progress, not for inspiration but for instruction!

And, Eat and Run by Scott Jurek was also a good read.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Ugh so annoying I'm at work my kindle is at home I got a fantastic kindle single ages ago about this guy who was a chronic alcoholic, gave it up and took up running. It is brilliant, so so honest I loved it. Unfortunately cannot for the life of me think of the name of it. I will check in this evening and let you know.

Kind of sounds like a great little book I read called "Chasing the Runners High" by Ray Charbonneau. Was that it?
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I quite like a running memoir. Rich Roll - Finding Ultra, Dean Karnasas, 50/50 (talk about an amazing guy who isn't built of the same stuff as the rest of us, ran 50 mmarathons in 50 states in 50 days), and I second Haruki Maurakami's What I Talk About When I talk About Running. He talks a lot about my running path.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Amazon just delivered Eat and Run by Scott Jurek, planning to read this weekend.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    The only running book I have is the Runners World Big Book of Half Marathon and Marathons.
    i am about quarter into the book and seems pretty good.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Amazon just delivered Eat and Run by Scott Jurek, planning to read this weekend.
    Great book.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Currently I am working on ChiRunning.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Noakes' Lore of Running - history, chemistry, physiology, training advice, etc.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Unbroken?
  • KWKY
    KWKY Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Racing Weight
    Run Less Run Faster ... my running bible, awesome for a mum with a PT job and two little ones.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    The most useful books for me have been: Run Less, Run faster (FIRST running program), New Rules for Marathon Nutrition and Brain Training for Running

Honorable mention goes to Running Technique, Running Lore and Tread Lightly

My favorite non-instructional books are The Perfect Mile and Duel in the Sun

yeah...I am a bit of book junky! lol!
  • arwenmakin
    arwenmakin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Born to Run

Feet in the Clouds (I LOVE fell running)

Just a little run around the World I found very touching...

What I talk about when I talk about Running (or is it think?)
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    woo hoo! got it. Its the long run by Mishka Shubaly. I really enjoyed it am going to download some of others for the weekend.
  • jaz141
    jaz141 Posts: 32
    Options
    My Amazon cart is filling up! Thanks, everyone!
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    The "Little Red Book of Running" Is full of excellent tips and easy to reference. I love it.

I also thought that "Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon" was a very instructional read, if not a little dry. Currently using the methodology in that book for my 25K training.
  • mashabear11
    mashabear11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    "Running like a girl" - Alexandra Heminsley, it's really honest and funny...