What color is good for the Ketostick?

Options
dperri471
dperri471 Posts: 29 Member
I am relatively new to Keto and I finally got my Ketostick to turn a different color this morning. Very happy to be in Ketosis. Now my question is what color is optimal for the best fat loss where I'm still being healthy about it?? I wonder if it's different for everyone?

Replies

• healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Was wondering the same. I bought some this week. Down about 2 lbs so far with another day to go before I weigh in. Stick has darkened a tad but wondering how dark it should be to be in true ketosis.
  • emmy724
    emmy724 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump, I am interested as well!
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm sure others will chime in, but in my experience, as long as it's not a negative ketone result, you're in ketosis. I only get mine in the dark purple range when I've been working out or very active. I usually have only trace amounts show with mine.
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options
    Mine is typically between trace and moderate. As long as its not negative, you should be fine. Ketosis is ketosis :)
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I am relatively new to Keto and I finally got my Ketostick to turn a different color this morning. Very happy to be in Ketosis. Now my question is what color is optimal for the best fat loss where I'm still being healthy about it?? I wonder if it's different for everyone?

I think it depends. Mine goes between moderate and high. If you're dehydrated it can show a dark purple too, so light sticks aren't necessarily indicative of being out of ketosis if you have all the other symptoms of ketosis. Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as you get more keto-adapted, you don't necessarily show dark pink or purple on the sticks as much as the earlier days when your body is throwing out more ketones.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options

I think it depends. Mine goes between moderate and high. If you're dehydrated it can show a dark purple too, so light sticks aren't necessarily indicative of being out of ketosis if you have all the other symptoms of ketosis. Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as you get more keto-adapted, you don't necessarily show dark pink or purple on the sticks as much as the earlier days when your body is throwing out more ketones.

^^^---- This
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Ketostix are so 1970s, my wife and a friend who are far from low carb, let alone keto tested positive. I use blood strips from Canadian pharmacy to go with my free precision extra meter. It still shows I am in ketosis when I am not as confirmed by blood ketone levels. My advice is dump the ketone urine strips and eat closer to your macros. Dr Atkins was the one who used those urine strips in seventies, but even atkins doesn't recommend it any more.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I'd stop worrying about ketosis and what color your sticks are. Personally I wouldn't waste your money on ketostix. Eat your macros, log your food accurately, and you should see progress. There's no "optimal state of ketosis for fat loss" - fat loss is going to be determined by your caloric deficit.
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Ketostix are binary. Either in or out. Darker colour usually just means you need to drink more water, not that you're any deeper in Ketosis.
  • kittyneutron
    kittyneutron Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Here's what I've gathered after reading a ton of articles and posts.

Ketostix can be relied on to show if ketone bodies are present. Apparently, there is no such thing as "low level" or "high" ketosis. It's an either or thing. That said, ketostix cannot give a false positive. They can however give a false negative, for a number of reasons, such as:

-You are in ketosis, but do not have ketones in your urine
    -You are in a higher state of hydration (delutes the urinary ketones)
    -Hormonal changes
    -Normal daily fluctuations

Bottom line is that while the readouts can be psychologically reassuring, they aren't the end all, be all. As long as you use them only as a general indicator, knowing the margin for error, I think it's a nice tool to have in the back drawer :)
  • dhilltx
    dhilltx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with kittyneutron...for keto purposes, it's on or off...the depth is insignificant. If they change to a color purple at all, you're good...the darker the color just means you're not drinking enough water.
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options
    I know I posted last month but I want to chime in.

The other thing with ketostix is that you'll find you really don't need them after a certain point. When I first started keto, I was obsessive about measuring if I was in ketosis or not. Then gradually I figured out yeah I am because I'm hitting my macros everyday. At this point, the only time I use ketostix are if I have a day where I think I might have goofed up my carbs (going out to eat) just to check, but otherwise they are entirely unnecessary. Keto is keto.