3-14-14

Options
mel521
mel521 Posts: 74 Member
daily thread

Sounds like most of us had an off day yesterday. Good luck to everyone today. I'll do W4D3 as soon as my baby goes down for her nap.

Replies

• airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Welcome all, happy Friday everyone.:flowerforyou:

Today survived Week 7, Day 2, which was an exact replica of Day 1's torture (25 minute run, 5 min warm up/cool down).:noway:

I paid attention to the time I started, to calculate when it should end & tried to NOT look at my watch (I did sneak ONE peek & only had about 7 minutes to go).

Another trick, pick a spot on the run (a few spots as you pass them) ...tell yourself you are NOT going to look at the time till you get to that spot, & then convince yourself to pick the next spot BEFORE you look at the time, then the NEXT, LOL. I lasted almost to the end of today's run w/o peeking. I think its torture to look and find out you have only ran a few minutes and have SO many more to go, lol

Hope everyone survived their run. I'm not going to think about Sundays....
  • mel521
    Options
    Way to go, airangel! That's awesome! I'm on a treadmill so I'm constantly tempted to glance down at the timer. I've started saying I won't look until the song I'm listening to is over, then the next, etc. So far, I can only go a few minutes without looking, but I hope to do better next week.

I finished week 4 today and did my 5th day of 30 day shred. I plan to take this weekend easy because we have a ton of stuff going on, but I'll be right back at it on Monday!
  • DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Rest day for me, yay!
  • FocusKimFocus
    FocusKimFocus Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - I finished Week 5 Day 1. I almost didn't make it happen - got off work around 6pm and was supposed to go to a school play at 7pm. But ... I did it, and was really glad I did (and the play started late, and I managed to get by without a shower).

My app is 18 weeks long (goes couch to 10k), so I think it may actually be a bit easier on the ramp up to long runs ... we'll see. Today's runs were 5min, 6min and 5min. I'm really glad I don't have to deal with hot weather - that's a real Achilles heel for me.
  • airangel59
    Options
    @Kim: Glad you got your run in ...my W5 D1 was 5 and 3 min done twice...so much for all these programs being the same huh?
    I might possibly download another Zen Labs but first have to see if I survive this one till the end, lol
    I have NO plans to sign up & actually run a 5K. Downloaded the app just to challenge myself.

@Mel: I'd go nuts on the treadmill. Bad enough when I am stuck walking on the thing, the seconds tick by so slowly, lol.
    Seems like you also play mind tricks on yourself as far as looking at the time. My treadmill is by tv and I usually have my mp3 on with earbuds and the TV on but muted ...so are you constantly changing up the speed/incline for the intervals?

The weather definitely is a factor here (Tucson, Az)...we've already hit the 80s. I wanted to start & finish the 8 weeks before we hit the 90s/100s. I bring water to the park (leave it and some goodies in cooler bag in car) but don't run with water (hence Tic Tac's and a LifeSaver). After the run I end up back at the parking lot, grab my Polar 24 oz bottle and continue walking. I try to get about 1 hr 20 min total workout.

Doesn't seem like too many of us ran today.
  • maree142
    maree142 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi all, no running today, but got a new pair of shoes and bought a couple of running audible books to maintain my focus as I am a bit down that the 10 minute plus runs are such a mountain for me to climb.
    I am also on a couch to 10k app, but i am really only on 4kms in what I am achieving in 35mins. I am not bothered by my speed, but want to get the endurance.
    A tough yoga session this morning that showed how tight I was --- ahh, the body!
    Hope everyone enjoys their week-end, Maree
  • airangel59
    Options
    @maree: I too only care (at this point) about the endurance, just getting thru each run w/o stopping. I've gone to a crawl (seemingly running in place at times but baby steps) to a more faster pace but I get too winded for the exertion. Since I have no plans to actually do a 5K or any run actually, speed to me is not at all important. I just want to eventually be able to switch from boring crappy calorie burn to running which burns more. I figure speed will come later.
  • mel521
    Options
    airangel, yes, I have to change speed every interval. It stinks, but I can't leave my kids to go outside and I have too many to take with me. I leave the incline in the same place the whole time. And the seconds do tick by so slowly.
  • FocusKimFocus
    Options
    Rest day for me today. I used to run/walk on a treadmill back when I lived in the heat of Tucson, AZ. I would have an fan and a window unit a/c pointed at me. I was never able to make myself get out by 5am in the summers - the only time I could handle the heat! That's a big reason I live in a very cold place now (and like it).

Good luck Maree!
  • FocusKimFocus
    Options
    I meant to add good luck to Mel too. I'm glad my kiddo is finally old enough for me to leave him alone for a bit. I'd forgotten that was another reason for the treadmill days (though I never did get away with spending more than a few minutes on the treadmill while he was awake. Those days with young ones are LONG, but the years sure did go by fast (in hindsight).
  • mel521
    Options
    Thanks, Kim! I have 4 kids. The oldest is in school, but the 4 yr old, 2 yr old and 7 month old are with me 24/7. I try to run in the mornings after my husband and oldest leave, before the others wake up. That's why I post so early! :) I'm trying my best to enjoy them being little!