sci-fi/fantasy/pop psych suggestions!

ryvenna
ryvenna Posts: 83 Member
hello, everyone!
i'm looking for book suggestions...! i've thoroughly enjoyed fantasy novels by brandon sanderson and gladwell-esque pop psych.

the best books i've read this year have been works of fiction: "the 40 rules of love" and "water for elephants"

please share some of your favorite finds-- and it's ok to give ANY recommendation. i'm hoping to get my fill of pleasure reading before i begin to work 14-16 hr days starting in july. :(

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Can I recommend something I haven't read yet? :)

Vicious - V. E. Schwab

http://amzn.com/0765335344

It has been on my "to read" list for a little while now, though I just recently got around to trying a sample of the first few chapters, via the Amazon Kindle app. I am definitely intrigued by the writing.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    My favorite all-time sci-fi story is "Dune" by Frank Herbert. It has everything. Religion, politics, court intrigue, space travel, a bit of romance, ecology... it's part of a series, but start with Dune and see if you like it.
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age. It's the greatest book of all time.
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    ...but I don't hold it against people who don't like it.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    My favorite all-time sci-fi story is "Dune" by Frank Herbert. It has everything. Religion, politics, court intrigue, space travel, a bit of romance, ecology... it's part of a series, but start with Dune and see if you like it.

I second Dune. Plus... Dune is known as one of the first sci-fi books that introduces politics, and an entire civilization/culture. Apparently, previous books in the genre were more one-dimensional. Dune gives you instant geek cred. ;)

I also really enjoyed Jumper by Steven Gould. It's very approachable sci-fi, like Brandon Sanderson and the series is a lighter, quicker read.
  • HoneyFrogger
    HoneyFrogger Posts: 59 Member
    I always suggest these for fantasy A Song of Ice and Fire :) althou it can be long and drawn out at times and some of the characters dull, grrm does tell an amazing story :)
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    My suggestions:

Urban Fantasy: Nightside series by Simon Green, Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia. There are a ton of other good ones but those are my favorites.

Fantasy: Dragon Bone Chair by Tad Williams, Any of the Drizzt D'Urden novels, Codex Alera, As mentioned above George R. R. Martin, but it is pretty dark. Also the Lightbring series by Brent Weeks.

Pretty much anything the below authors touch i love:
    Brandon Sanderson
    Jim Butcher
    Simon Green
    Brent Weeks
    Terry Goodkind
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Recent releases I very much enjoyed: Eon, Written in Red, and The Raven Boys

Kate Elliot's "Jaran" Trilogy, Robin Hobb, Elizabeth Moon's Paksennarion books on the fantasy side.

On a non SF/YA/Fantasy side, some of my favorite reads were Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and Your Inner Fish
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member

Dune was a great read. I read some of the other in the series, too, but never finished. I am curious as to how the saga ends so I may pick them up again one day.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    This is an older thread so I don't know if anyone is still looking for sci-fi/fantasy suggestions but here goes:

Beggars In Spain by Nancy Kress - about engineering people who have no need to sleep and the rift the two "cultures" create in the world

Embassytown by China Mieville - planetary colonization

The Hab Theory by Allan Eckert - a real oldie; not sure if its still in print. About the world moving its axis and the preparation for that occurrence

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman - about two parallel worlds in London, England.