Tips to stop snacking

Options
Just after some tips and tricks that you use to stop snacking? I find that to be the hardest thing on my weightless journey! Yes, even harder than working out! I've tried drinking water instead (which sometimes works) and doing other activities that occupy my hands such as painting my nails but sometimes I just snap and eat a lot of snacks! I've only just committed to restarting my journey so maybe this is why?

Replies

• Fridge67
    Fridge67 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The first thing I did was remove the bulk of the bad stuff that was in the house, chocolates, chips ,ice cream and investigated things that i could have that werent to bad . I also bought an ice cream machine that makes ice bream from just frozen fruit which is good when you have that ice cream craving ( frozen fresh bananas and mango were the best) .
    Moderation is the key, I have my kids hide small freddos and when I am craving chocolate I get one, not bad on calories and saites the craving . Good Luck:wink:
  • hailzfitness
    Options
    Thanks for that :) I live with my parents and they buy the groceries so I will tell them not to buy any for me or even hide them from me!! Haha thanks again
  • lindalaynahcoates
    lindalaynahcoates Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yep I definitely agree with not having bad foods around... I bought a 20 pack of fun sized Milky Way bars thinking it would be a good way to have a snack here and there... and they didn't last very long at all haha. If you really want to snack, try snacking on healthy stuff like capsicum, celery or cucumber. When I want a snack I have a cup of tea, it's low calorie and warm and filling. Or I will have some vita weats. Never eat out of the box, take some out, put on a plate and put the box away. I should take my own advice, I ate a whole bag of Doritos last night haha.
  • Nomiepie
    Nomiepie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    New to this whole group posting forum thing, but I thought I'd reply to this post because snacking is also my weekness! Chucking out everything bad is super important, I thought I could handle this giant lolly jar I kept in my lounge room for kids/guests. And for ages I didn't touch it and then just the other day I went crazy and ate and ate! I got rid of them all and everything else like that, because you aren't always as mentally strong as you thought you were!

I would also recommend drinking heaps of water, keeping your snacks below 150 cals each time, brushing your teeth straight after dinner/meals so you aren't tempted to chow down on the sweets, and just generally liking what your snacks are!!

Choose things that you will enjoy (especially if you have a sweet tooth, like me!) try a low cal hot choccie, a frozen yoghurt (I like bulla brand and they are 79 cals each), or some fruit. For savoury I can't go passed vita wheats with low cal cottage cheese or low cal fetta, or peanut butter with multigrain corn thins (they taste like popcorn, are super low in cals and are so yummy!).

Happy Snacking!
  • stormydaze_02
    stormydaze_02 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I also only keep healthy snacks in the house. I do let myself have some of the foods I enjoy though.

I eat every few hours so I don't get the 'crazy hungries'. I have ready made snacks at home eg. I boil up a few eggs, have raw vegies cut up, tzatki, hommus, yoghurt, etc. If I keep heaps of stuff in the fridge and pantry that I can snack on without feeling guilty I'm usually ok!
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't fight it, I snack whenever I want. But I try to make the snacks raw veges or fruit when possible. Also, since I've started using my fitbit, I find that keeps me busy enough to want to/have time to snack less.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I agree, regular snacks/treats help keep me sane and sticking to my goals, so fit them in to your calories whenever you want to-it's all about calories in, calories out, not necessarily perfectly healthy eating. You've got to be enjoying your new lifestyle if you're any chance of sticking to it long term, so I try not to cut out things entirely.

Also I find it helps to pre-plan and log days the night before or perhaps the morning of the day, that way it's not up to chance like "Oh I'm hungry...oops made a poor choice without thinking about what to have that would leave me satisfied or help reach my goals."

I don't shop hungry, or on my period. Pre organise some healthier snacks that are easy to grab and go if necessary. I also buy only single bars of chocolate, not bags or packets or blocks. Know who YOU are, what your personal goals, challenges, barriers, weaknesses are, and then pen some strategies about what you could do to keep you on track.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    The best way to stop snacking is to actually snack or eat a meal ive found.

Don't get to the point were your too hungry, i always bring my snacks to work as i gym in my lunch break and wont eat until 2pm.

Also i wont have any junk in the house, maybe a block of 90% dark chocolate and some icy poles.

My top snacks lately are laughing cow cheese on rice crackers, Greek yoghourt and tahni mixed together and carrot sticks to dip in, Homemade beef jerky.