Rowing - Introduce Yourself...

Options

Replies

• gj1802
    gj1802 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My Ranking ID on the C2 website is 998027.
    Feel free to add me.

Thanks
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    1st row for me today for the World ERG Challenge.
    Rowed just over 13,000m in 1hr which for me is quite an achievement considering my 1st row in January I was done after 10mins!!:happy:
    Hopefully I'll improve throughout the challenge.
    Good luck and happy rowing to everyone on the team.:happy:

Holy wow!! That is an awesome row. Niiice :drinker:
  • IsaTexDesigner
    IsaTexDesigner Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    How does everyone row for more than 2 hours(half marathon) without getting butt/joint pain? Near the 20k mark, I have to quit not because of endurance, but because of a sore butt and joints. I want to complete the c2 marathon but cant get past the 20k mark. I did 25k a few weeks ago and ended up in so much joint pain I could barely walk. I wear a knee brace but its hardly helping. As much as I love to row(only kind of cardio I truly love), Im considering trying a new sport because I cant seem to progress.
  • sunship
    sunship Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    How does everyone row for more than 2 hours(half marathon) without getting butt/joint pain? Near the 20k mark, I have to quit not because of endurance, but because of a sore butt and joints. I want to complete the c2 marathon but cant get past the 20k mark. I did 25k a few weeks ago and ended up in so much joint pain I could barely walk. I wear a knee brace but its hardly helping. As much as I love to row(only kind of cardio I truly love), Im considering trying a new sport because I cant seem to progress.

I use a gel pad on the bottom, and then sit on a folded towel, like 4-5" high -- and replace the towel after every row.

it works -- :)

the more you row, the more butt fat you lose, and the more it hurts -- :|

for a while, i even sold the pads on ebay, but got tired of running to the post office -- :)

if there's interest, i can get more -- they ended up being $25 total, delivered -- no big deal, but they work.
  • robinrows
    robinrows Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Tried the gel pad today for the half marathon - actually more uncomfortable than no pad - I guess I still have a bit of butt fat to lose :)
  • ctperdant
    Options
    Got a Concept2 at home a week ago and am loving it! Just did my first 30 min and rowed 5440m. Looking forward to talking to others who row!
  • izu87
    izu87 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I just got a much less fancy rower machine than the Concept ones, but I think it will do the trick. My aim is to lose weight while toning down. Plan is to use the rower every morning for workouts up to 20-30 minutes, once I build up my stamina, and this to be my addition to my daily workouts after work.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    hi,just started rowing in october by recommendation of trainer.
    loving it so far,have set up a general challenge for november and am hoping one of the regulars here will be organising the upcoming concept c2 100k charity challenge from 27th nov.
    have joined the mfp group on c2 also,my ranking id is 1021879.
  • aam117
    aam117 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    hello, just found this group (why do they make it so difficult to search groups?) and excited to make some "rowing friends" on MFP. i started out rowing when i was 14 and continued through my first two years of college. then some nagging injury and lack of time got me out of it. several times i attempted to motivate myself to use my model C as an adult, but it took a long time to get rid of the "evil erg" mindset. i think i may have finally succeeded. :smile: my ranking number on the C2 logbook is 725081
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Feel free to join the MFP Friends group on C2 as well. We may not post often in the group but we are fairly active.
  • aam117
    aam117 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    thanks! where do i find that group? or is just when there is a team challenge?
  • Bud_
    Bud_ Posts: 116 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone :)

Used to row a lot in gyms on Concepts but now have a Fluid Rower (E316) at home and love it! I try to row about 5 days a week (60mins - around 13km at level 6) and have recently decided to work towards completing a marathon. Have done 2 half marathons in the last couple of weeks (1hr 39m) and all was well, although I may need to pad the seat a little more for the full distance!.

I know I may be a little out of 'the club' by not using a Concept 2 but my Fluid Rower is perfect for me and I think the level 6 equates quite well.

Look forward to being an active group member
    B)

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Welcome
  • Bud_
    Bud_ Posts: 116 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks 20yearsyounger :)

I forgot to add... everyone, please feel free to send me a FR as it would be great to have more direct links with other rowers. I have an open diary and log everything! No need for a message and I do comment and use the like button!!

Almost halfway to my goal at present and loving MFP
    B)
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Bud_ wrote: »
    Thanks 20yearsyounger :)

I forgot to add... everyone, please feel free to send me a FR as it would be great to have more direct links with other rowers. I have an open diary and log everything! No need for a message and I do comment and use the like button!!

Almost halfway to my goal at present and loving MFP
    B)

welcome aboard too,belatedly.
    fr sent.

• Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Does anyone still use this group? Took me a while to find it but thought I'd join.

I row in a women's coxed VIII 3x a week plus 1x ergs in Cambridge, UK.

I'm also a Crossfitter which I do 3x per week.
  • solarfish
    solarfish Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd say hi. I just started incorporating rowing back into my exercise regime, looking for a bit of variety in the cardio department to go along with weights, core and intervals. I have been on this latest exercise kick for about 3 months having previously lost 50 lbs during a 'get myself fit' effort in 2012. I'm 47 and probably 20lbs heavier than I would like to be but 50 lbs lighter than I was from my mid 20s to mid 40s.

I like to have a goal to work towards, so for rowing I am aiming to complete a marathon by the end of September. The furthest I have rowed so far is 12.6km in an hour this morning! I created a post in this group in case others want to follow/join in my challenge and I'll update my progress there, it should be two rows a week for the next 3 months. At home I am using a WaterRower but I have to travel occasionally and will seek out a C2 or similar to try to keep going with the schedule when I'm not at home.
  • mrspeterson
    mrspeterson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Bud_, Inkratlet, and Solarfish! I have been remiss in my rowing group manners (and MFP in general) the past few months, but it's great to have newcomers! To be honest, there is less activity here than in our timelines. We have a team of about 20 regulars that compete in the C2 team challenges, and we encourage each other in our varied other activities as well. There is a Fall team challenge which runs btw Sept 15 and October 15 and rowing chatter usually picks up during those. I encourage everyone to friend me and to join the "MFPFriends" team on C2: http://log.concept2.com/log_team.asp and join the Fall Challenge!
  • msunat97
    msunat97 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Hi. I use the concept2 at my local gym. I'm recovering from wrist surgery, but plan to start again as soon as I'm released. I like to break up my rowing by rowing for 500m & then knocking out pushups & crunches. I repeat for 5-10 cycles.
  • Doublemeasure
    Doublemeasure Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey mrspeterson, Dave and Alston, just found this group! Should have told me! I am in now!

Brief history, I am 57 and in September 2014 I was 139.5 kilos and ridiculously heavy! Some friends at work told me about MFP and I started to log all my food, after losing 10/15 kilos I decided to go back to the gym! The gym had 2 erg's and I decided to have a go! (Dabbled at it before!) Over the last year, I have lost 36 kilos and competed in the British Rowing Indoor Competition in the Velodrome in London on the 12th Dec 2015. I got 4th in the 2000m and the gold in the 500m (I was the only competitor in my age group!) I was pleased with my times for a first time at an event like this! I will be competing in London and other competitions next winter as I am hooked!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.