any carbnite/carb backloaders here?

Hi :) I have question regarding carb backloading but thought I would see first if there are many people who follow this approach or if people in this group mainly stick to 100% keto at all times.

Replies

• EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    I think what you're calling carb nite most call cheat days, I prefer to call it a reward day :p There's quite a few who have stated they do cheat days on occasion, but I don't think it's once a week. I'm thinking of doing a reward day in March sometime, and maybe once very other month or whatever after that. Science aside, I think rewarding yourself once in a while is a good thing; for me, I'm hoping it'll help me stay on track life-long if I know I can enjoy some carb-y naughtiness now and then.

One thing I don't agree with, in regard to this "carb backloading" idea, is that your muscles require carbs for energy. I'm pretty certain muscles use what your organs use - glucose. Glucose comes from fat as well as carbs (and protein as well, actually), it's just that carbs are an easy glucose source whereas glucose from fat takes a bit more energy to create. I can see why athletes would want to use carbs to refuel quickly, but non-athletes rarely need an easy source of glucose.
  • I don't know anything about carb backloading, but I tried the carb nite thing for a bit and honestly I didn't like it. It would always take 2-3 days for me to get back down (losing the water weight, etc.) after a carb nite and therefore didn't feel like I was making any progress and was instead just going back and forth. I found it much easier to just stick to Keto 100% of the time.

Not to say I won't have a cheat maybe every couple of months or so. But honestly, I've just found ways to make good I miss Keto style.
  • huneydrop
    huneydrop Posts: 84
    I stay in keto all year with the following exceptions:

My birthday weekend ;)
    3 night trips to vegas (twice a year max)
    Christmas

I am not perfect the rest of the time but if I "cheat" it is rare and it is a meal, not a whole day or anything like that.

I have not tried the carb nite/backloading thing, I too feel it would just mess with me the rest of the week and don't see the point really, I am doing just fine on keto and I am pretty strict with my macros 75/5/20. On Saturdays and Sundays I lighten up a bit and allow myself to go to 60/5/35. Aren't I naughty???
  • On Saturdays and Sundays I lighten up a bit and allow myself to go to 60/5/35. Aren't I naughty???

Watch out, we got a badass over here.
  • mccandlessmom
    mccandlessmom Posts: 21 Member
    On Saturdays and Sundays I lighten up a bit and allow myself to go to 60/5/35. Aren't I naughty???

Watch out, we got a badass over here.

I wish MFP had like buttons. :)
  • Carb Nite Solution (written in 2005) is quite out-of-date, according to Kiefer himself:

Carb Back Loading is the most updated protocol.