Phone & Weddings...

Options
Cal28
Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
Ok maybe I really should have joined an actual bridal forum, but with less than 7 weeks to go I'm just going to pester you all instead :smile:

So... phones at weddings, what do you all think? I've been Googling but the main thing that comes up is re wedding photos.
However I was more interested in phones at the reception - Very few of my guests actually know anyone and my biggest worry is that they'll all sit there on Facebook.

So what do you think of this? Is it rude?

"We hope we’ve seated you with some pretty nice people; we liked them enough to invite them anyway! Even before a few drinks we hope they’re still more interesting than that cat photo on Facebook.

Cat-with-wedding-shoes1.jpg

We hope you have lots of fun finding out."

Would love peoples thoughts...

Replies

• Luvs_Rage_Phish
    Luvs_Rage_Phish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it's necessary. I'm normally glued to my phone but I rarely do anything on it except take pictures when I'm at a wedding. I think most people know that there is a time and place and a wedding reception is not the same thing as lunch with a best friend.

Also - that could be a good task for some of your bridesmaids - ask them if they see anyone glued to their phone to reach out and strike up a conversation or something like that. designate a few people to be aware of it rather than make people feel awkward if they want to do something on their phone for a moment.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I was wondering whether it was but the last event I went to was awful with everyone glued to their phone! I felt so sorry for the hosts.

Unfortunately I only have one bridesmaid & grooms man (down side of planning a wedding from the other side of the world) but it would be less awkward... hmmm
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Even is you ask nicely-- the people who want to be on their phones will be whether you say something or not. I think you'll just add stress to your day by asking people to get off their phones, because then you'll be upset if they're on them--- they are ignoring your request. Versus, not asking, then they aren't deliberately going against your wishes.
  • winley87
    winley87 Posts: 32
    Options
    I tend to agree with Chuckles. People are probably going to do whatever they want, regardless of what you ask. (Unfair, I know! The bride should always get her way!!) I think the idea about having the bridesmaid/groomsman help out is a great one. Since your party is small, maybe you could ask some other folks to pitch in, like your parents/siblings or other close friends.

Another thing you might consider is putting games on the table to get people interacting with one another and help everyone get to know each other.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I plan on doing this... You can find nice/cute ideas to let your guests know that you don't want them taking photos. I photographer has a book of wedding photos ruied by guests and it was a big wake up call to how many great photos we could miss because guests stepping in, flashes from cameras or phones..
    il_340x270.551121105_88dd.jpg

This is an important read before you decided that you don't care about guest photographers/cell phones!
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bridal-guide/why-you-might-want-to-con_b_3331528.html
  • winley87
    winley87 Posts: 32
    Options
    Holy moly Mandy! Thank you for the article! I think that I will try to request an unplugged ceremony because I don't want all my pictures ruined! Although having it outside at 4:30 should hopefully minimize the use of flash...
  • Bethie8585
    Options
    I worry about the phones too (my wedding is 9 weeks away) but I guess for a little bit different reason. I don't want pictures of my wedding plastered on facebook.

I know friends and family like to do selfies and take photo's but at least for the night I want it to be private? If that makes any sense...I know its something to get over this day and age but would love for it not to be plastered over the internet ha.
  • Laur005
    Laur005 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can gently suggest an unplugged wedding (no phones), but some guests are offended by it and some will do it anyway. If your biggest concern is them not knowing anyone, maybe you can put an ice breaker on the table to help them get to know each other? One wedding I went to had a mad-libs type thing where we filled in words about the bride and groom - it was a fun way to get everyone talking! But you're always going to have those people who can't put their phone down and there isn't too much you can do about it.