What have you learned from eating TDEE - % ?

Options
I've been eating TDEE-% and seeing some small successes. I love hearing about success stories but sometimes you don't always hear about what people have learned along the way with eating this particular way. Things they discovered as they began trusting the process.

So with that, share what you've learned. What did you learn about lifting weights, and cardio or what did you learn from going over your daily calorie goal or for that matter what did you learn when you under ate? What did you learn about trusting the process? food Poritions, Or anything else, share what you've learned along the way eating more......educate me! :-)

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'll bite!

Recovery from hard efforts takes longer compared to no deficit.

Improvements in performance takes longer compared to no deficit.

So that means exercise break week is very noticeable.

That means diet break week is very noticeable.

Sadly, even with the breaks, both those take longer than years ago. I have some feeling I may be getting older.

Also noticed that if evening focus after a good lifting workout distracts me from eating enough with what was planned and I miss a decent amount, recovery takes longer. Eating to make up the next day is too late and doesn't help shorten it usually it seems, body could have used the extra food that first night.

Another thing at deficit that isn't as bad at maintenance, missing a planned snack or meal, and while not feeling that hungry after say working past it, the next meal or rest of the evening is horrible adherence, can't seem to stop the hunger then, even though I made up the skipped calories.

When looking at what can be added to finish off the goal for the night, not be concerned with going over a tad, because there's still a deficit. Better then getting stressed with what will hit the calories exactly or be under.
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I learned (close to 2 years ago) that I had destroyed my metabolism through an entire lifetime of low calorie dieting - thinking that the less ate, the faster the weight would come off. I hit a plateau and gained all the weight back (plus more) Every. Single. Time. I thought I was weak and just unable to maintain that lifestyle, rather than realizing that I was trying to live a life that was not sustainable... Each time I went through the same cycle: drop calories down to 1,000, ramp the cardio up to crazy levels, lose lots of weight, plateau, fall off wagon, gain weight back.

Fast forward to learning about EM2WL which has totally changed my life! Cliché, I know, but it's true... I went from maintaining (or even gaining) while eating 1,000 calories a day and trying to burn as many of those off each day as possible to now, where I can comfortably eat 2,100 to 2,200 calories a day and maintain. My exercise now consists of strength training with only minimal cardio (which I hate :-).

I did have to take about a year doing a metabolism re-set. I gradually upped my calories over time, allowing my body to adapt along the way. I went from 100% cardio to probably about 80% strength training 20% cardio now, and that is what has made the biggest difference for me and the shape of my body. Heavy lifting is key, and EM2WL gives your body the fuel it needs!

I try to eat as clean as I can and avoid pre-packaged foods whenever possible. I find by doing this that I am pretty much able to eat as much as I want without the worry of "going over" on calories. I absolutely make sure that I hit my Protein macro each and every day, and plan all of my meals around a protein.

So glad you are seeing some successes! It is definitely not a fast process, but in retrospect it is the best thing I have ever done for myself. Now that I can eat at a comfortable level where I feel satisfied and maintain my weight, I no longer live in fear of gaining it all back (and that is something that used to haunt me...)
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Still kinda intermediate on this, but I wanted to share. It took me several months to "Heal" from the restrictive eating. I was also healing from two heart procedures, so it took me awhile to get to the workouts, and deficits. I have only just begn my first deficit. I also returned to regular workouts about a month and a half ago. Big difference. But what eating this way has done for me so far: I sleep way better, I don't get the shakes and feeling weak in between meals. I no longer binge eat. It has givine me alot of freedom, and I know I am better for it.
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Still kinda intermediate on this, but I wanted to share. It took me several months to "Heal" from the restrictive eating. I was also healing from two heart procedures, so it took me awhile to get to the workouts, and deficits. I have only just begn my first deficit. I also returned to regular workouts about a month and a half ago. Big difference. But what eating this way has done for me so far: I sleep way better, I don't get the shakes and feeling weak in between meals. I no longer binge eat. It has givine me alot of freedom, and I know I am better for it.

That is some awesome progress! I also no longer have the urge to binge - when you aren't starving your body, those carvings seem to go away over time.... Well done!!
  • 4Lab
    4Lab Posts: 20
    Options
    I wanna be like you guys when I grow up! Way to go and thanks so much for the experiential advice!
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for one month, and have just completed my first week eating at TDEE-20%. The first 3 weeks I lost about 4 lbs. This past week on TDEE -% I've lost 3.4 lbs and 3 inches from hip/waist.

I haven't severely restricted my calories in the past, I've always lost healthfully, so I didn't need to do a reset.

I have no cravings, and I don't feel the need to binge anymore. I'm eating the proper amount of protein now(don't eat meat, always ate too many carbs) so I think that's part of it. I've also lost my craving for diet Pepsi... I've been a 5-6 can/day drinker for 20+ years.

I have done mainly cardio in the past, but am now starting to lift. I'm aiming to reverse these 2 activities as I go, because I have large muscles already, but I'd like to see a lot more definition.
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for one month, and have just completed my first week eating at TDEE-20%. The first 3 weeks I lost about 4 lbs. This past week on TDEE -% I've lost 3.4 lbs and 3 inches from hip/waist.

I haven't severely restricted my calories in the past, I've always lost healthfully, so I didn't need to do a reset.

I have no cravings, and I don't feel the need to binge anymore. I'm eating the proper amount of protein now(don't eat meat, always ate too many carbs) so I think that's part of it. I've also lost my craving for diet Pepsi... I've been a 5-6 can/day drinker for 20+ years.

I have done mainly cardio in the past, but am now starting to lift. I'm aiming to reverse these 2 activities as I go, because I have large muscles already, but I'd like to see a lot more definition.

Way to go!!!
  • heybales
    Options

Congrats for accepting what could be a challenge to doing it a more sustainable reasonable way, by choice. Rather than slowness being thrust on you.
  • Smeltzer2
    Smeltzer2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I eas on tdee and was not eating back my exercise calories. I was not losing at akk, but have kept 75 lbs off for ten years from asking God to make a normal eater out of me. I did that on April 10, 2003 and the next day did not binge at all and gave up all candy, cake, pies, cookies, ice cream, and pizza. Only ate at meal time. When coming on mfp i started with their goaks, than went to tdee iminus 20 percent calories. I went back the other day ti MFP goals and am not eating back my exercise calories. Stopped all the foods that I had put back into my food plan. I dont want to be skinny i at 71 want to be fit. I jump, dance, run on jy Mimi trampoline and ride bike, dance, and golf. I had an eating disorder for 54 years and God cured it. I ate every 15 minutes near the end of the disorder but before was oueging, Ra taking kaxitives, starving back and forth. I am ehealthier about food than I have ever been. About time i am 71. From age 9 to 60 was way out of wack eregarding food.
  • janemcd67
    janemcd67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi, Do you think you notice those types of things even with a small deficit, of say 5 - 10%? I am super hungry now after doing a heavy lifting session yesterday. I planned out and pre-logged my dinner but I am afraid I could still be hungry after. Actually I am afraid it is unwise to cut at all. I feel like it might be better to eat to appetite both on the lifting day and the one after (I only lift once/week to allow for recovery).

Background: I recently did a reset for 6 weeks, gained 10 pounds, and leveled out with what I think my TDEE must be ~2400 calories. Now I am thinking of cutting by 5 - 10%. I also tried your worksheet yesterday and it gave me a TDEE of 2400 provided I slightly exaggerated the cardio I am doing, but I think that might really be my TDEE at my current slightly lower cardio level, given that I have stabilized my weight eating about that amount.

Jane.
  • heybales
    Options
    Hi, Do you think you notice those types of things even with a small deficit, of say 5 - 10%? I am super hungry now after doing a heavy lifting session yesterday. I planned out and pre-logged my dinner but I am afraid I could still be hungry after. Actually I am afraid it is unwise to cut at all. I feel like it might be better to eat to appetite both on the lifting day and the one after (I only lift once/week to allow for recovery).

Background: I recently did a reset for 6 weeks, gained 10 pounds, and leveled out with what I think my TDEE must be ~2400 calories. Now I am thinking of cutting by 5 - 10%. I also tried your worksheet yesterday and it gave me a TDEE of 2400 provided I slightly exaggerated the cardio I am doing, but I think that might really be my TDEE at my current slightly lower cardio level, given that I have stabilized my weight eating about that amount.

Jane.

Sounds like good test you did.
    As you are closer to maintenance eating, your workouts can have more of an impact, and you can do more in them, requiring body to do more repair from them, which requires more calories, repeat cycle.

Indeed, during that cycle, you'll have to decide what is most important, faster but reasonable fat and weight loss, or would you rather have performance on the bar?

It can be tough decision. Otherwise eat at maintenance, and the fat loss will be slowest as body slowly improves. Men in a study had 3.5 lb loss of fat in 16 weeks, while weight stayed the same, of course eating at maintenance. Mighty slow, hence the reason cut/bulk cycles are used - it's faster.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/778012-potential-muscle-gain-lifting-and-metabolism-improvement
  • heybales
    Options
    I eas on tdee and was not eating back my exercise calories. I was not losing at akk, but have kept 75 lbs off for ten years from asking God to make a normal eater out of me. I did that on April 10, 2003 and the next day did not binge at all and gave up all candy, cake, pies, cookies, ice cream, and pizza. Only ate at meal time. When coming on mfp i started with their goaks, than went to tdee iminus 20 percent calories. I went back the other day ti MFP goals and am not eating back my exercise calories. Stopped all the foods that I had put back into my food plan. I dont want to be skinny i at 71 want to be fit. I jump, dance, run on jy Mimi trampoline and ride bike, dance, and golf. I had an eating disorder for 54 years and God cured it. I ate every 15 minutes near the end of the disorder but before was oueging, Ra taking kaxitives, starving back and forth. I am ehealthier about food than I have ever been. About time i am 71. From age 9 to 60 was way out of wack eregarding food.

I would suggest with so little to lose, and your body in disease state meaning under more stress - don't skip eating back your exercise calories and creating an even bigger deficit.

This is not the time to add more stress with bigger deficit, you need to fuel those workouts, plus to help encourage only fat loss. This is not the time to risk any muscle mass loss, you'd be hard pressed to get that back.
  • janemcd67
    janemcd67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Jane.

Sounds like good test you did.
    As you are closer to maintenance eating, your workouts can have more of an impact, and you can do more in them, requiring body to do more repair from them, which requires more calories, repeat cycle.

Indeed, during that cycle, you'll have to decide what is most important, faster but reasonable fat and weight loss, or would you rather have performance on the bar?

It can be tough decision. Otherwise eat at maintenance, and the fat loss will be slowest as body slowly improves. Men in a study had 3.5 lb loss of fat in 16 weeks, while weight stayed the same, of course eating at maintenance. Mighty slow, hence the reason cut/bulk cycles are used - it's faster.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/778012-potential-muscle-gain-lifting-and-metabolism-improvement

Oh Hi, That is interesting. I have decided that the fat is superficial and that my health is of primary concern. At least I believe that with my head. I have a benign tumor that I would like my body to remove. That is the number one priority, then fat loss, and finally performance at the bar. I figure you cannot heal if you are under-nourished so I am extremely glad to have kicked my metabolism up a notch and to be able to eat a decent amount of food. I care to some degree about the clothes I don't fit however. I love that there is a study showing that the body can improve while eating at maintenance. Here's hoping.
  • gemheath2010
    gemheath2010 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think that through this process i have learnt that there is a reason why the popular diets arent sustainable. I think that i have also learnt that my body needs quite a lot more calories than i realised, and that i can actually enjoy food alot more