Keto Planning Ideas? (Cancer)

Options
KETO & LCHF FRIENDS: Doctor has agreed I should go back on Keto along with some meds to keep my blood sugar down (my body seems to turn protein into glucose so even strict Keto shows my blood glucose in the high-normal range, and it is very low when I'm actually consuming starches and sugars). I don't like feeling like I *have* to do the diet. I think I do much better when it's my choice because I'm very disciplined by nature, so...as I'm preparing mentally, emotionally, and getting rid of the starchy, sugary things in my house, I've been letting my sweet tooth and cravings get the best of me. I have to plan this out. I'm a planner type.

I'm making a master grocery and meals list, and I need your help. Sweets are the very worst for me - when I did Keto for 7 months last year, I consumed lots of sugar alcohols which I now think is no good in the case of cancer (and I'm allergic to chocolate, don't do pork nor much flax seeds) so I need lots of easy, go-to ideas for sweets to get started. I don't mind sucralose and stevia. I know once I'm on it and in the groove, it's no problem - the longer you're away from sugars and starches, the less you even want them.

Here's my list so far, and please add to it to help me get prepared.

Make crunchy almonds with braggs
Make sweet pecans (I have a great recipe for this using Just Like Sugar)
Free-range eggs - keep boiled, make quiches
Make SF jello
Make cheese pizza crusts
Free-range, organic meats and cheeses
Mushrooms - for meat and cheese stuffings
Celery - for dips, soups, etc
Make kale chips
Make coconut oil fat bombs (ideas here, too)

When I get really sick from chemo, I like either oatmeal, banana or mashed potatoes as they are easy to eat and digest - any ideas for replacements? I'll try cauliflower faux-tatoes again.

Anybody using actual meters to test blood? I need to get one as the Ketostix are not nearly as precise for purposes of cancer. I know D'Agostino recommends Precision Extra Meter, but if anyone has personal experience with meter(s) and/or the strips at lower costs, please share.

If anyone else is dealing with advanced cancer, please feel free to shoot me a note and friend request (whether or not you're doing a special diet). Thank you for any input! Love and hugs to all!!

One last note, if you're not into Keto or LCHF, please do not attack me, my post or anyone else here. I am working with a doctor. Thank you!

Replies

• rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm very new to this (been doing keto for 4 weeks). Decided to get a monitor and found a nova max plus which was free when you bought two boxes of strips for $20 a piece. Look up nova cares.com.
  • Mele1973
    Mele1973 Posts: 27
    Options
    Hey, yes, thank you! That site has a list of all the various meters and compares them, too. Great! Do you know if yours reads BHB acid levels? I was told this is absolutely the only way to really know your levels of Ketosis. I don't fully understand it all, but since you have a meter, maybe you do?
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I Breathe I'm Hungry has a great keto meal planner. May be able to get some ideas there.

Bulletproof coffee is an easy way to get your fat (12 oz coffee with 1-2 tbsp unsalted, grass-fed butter + 1 tbsp coconut oil or MCT oil+ unsweetened cocoa + sweetener to taste). Mix in a blender, or use an Aerolatte.

I also really like the Fat Fast Cookbook by Dana Carpender. I've never done a Fat Fast, but I like enough of the recipes to use them as supplements for my everyday keto eats. Given your sensitivity to protein, these higher fat recipes might be a good option. Ham and Cheese Egg Cups, and Boursin Stuffed Mushrooms are a couple of favorites.

I have the Precision Xtra blood tester. We get the test strips from a Canadian website - Universal Drugstore.

My favorite mashed cauliflower recipe is:
    Cut up head of cauliflower
    Boil 10 min with 2-3 cloves of peeled garlic.
    Drain
    Add to food processor with 2 oz cream cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 2 oz heavy cream, 2 tbsp butter, 1 tsp lite salt.
    process thoroughly until smooth.

Another favorite recipe is Coconut Custard. I think this one would be a good sub for your bananas and mashed potatoes.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/998710-spectacular-keto-coconut-custard?hl=Coconut+custard#posts-17105686

I also like scrambled eggs when I'm not feeling well.

Maybe also some homemade chicken broth or homemade chicken soup?
    For chicken broth, I've used the Alton Brown recipe. I use 2 roasted chickens that you get at the grocery store and strip off the meat. Use the carcasses to make the broth on day 1. Then, day 2, use the broth that you made and the chicken meat to make soup. Add some diced onion, diced celery, and 1-2 cups chopped spinach. (Lots of recipes for chicken soup out there). There's definitely something soothing about soup though.

Sending positive and healing thoughts your way!
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Hi Mele, :flowerforyou:

Thanks for sharing your plan! I am on the HFLC way of eating...and a sugarholic. Since being on the HFLC way of eating, I have eaten 1 serving of dried mangos to quench my sweet tooth, and have kept my carbs at 60 to 80. I am influenced by the Grain Brain book.

You are fighter, and I see you are doing all you can to help yourself. You mentioned on your Profile page how you don't understand the question "Why do you want to get in shape", and your answer "“Being healthy and fit seems like a basic human need”. Because you are fighting cancer you are living each moment to the fullest. For years, I took life for granted. I *love* life, but ate what I wanted cause "I thought I could"...and when I got a heart attack in 2009, I vowed I would take care of myself. Even in the next few years, I "played" with fire by continuing eating junk food. I FINALLY I think I found my niche with LCHF...cause now I have grandchildren "I" want to be mentally and physically healthy.

I just wanted to write to say how much I admire your fight. I cannot offer any advice, but have learned a lot from you. Glad you are a part of this site. Look forward to seeing your continued progress toward your full recovery.

Sending prayers for your continued healing.

Hugs and Smiles,
    Deb
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I believe all the blood testers are measuring the BHB levels.

Phinney and Volek's Art and Science of Low Carb Living; and Art and Science of Low Carb Performance provide good info on nutritional ketosis and testing blood ketones.
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have a fat bomb that I super like. It's fatty and sweet and works when you're needing to up that fat and have something sweet.

8 oz cream cheese
    8 oz butter
    1 cup granular sugar sub (I use Stevia)
    cocoa powder to taste
    cinnamon to taste

bring cheese and butter to room temp
    add remaining ingredients
    mix thoroughly

I line a baking sheet with parchment paper then place little globs of the mixture. Place that in the freezer. When frozen, remove and place in a zip loc bag and freeze.

These are yum!
  • Mele1973
    Options
    kiramaniac - you rock!!! Thank you for such a detailed response. This is exactly what I need! I've added everything to my list, and I'm feeling much better about making the leap as soon as I have the supplies.

So, as far as the meters, I guess it boils down to bottom line cost on the strips - do you think the Canadian supplier is most cost effective (I also have to research shipping because so many places restrict delivery or make it totally unaffordable to Hawaii).

I think you've mentioned that Fat Fast Cookbook before, so I'll be sure to grab that for ideas, too.

Thank you so much!!
  • Mele1973
    Options
    Hi Mele, :flowerforyou:

Thanks for sharing your plan! I am on the HFLC way of eating...and a sugarholic. Since being on the HFLC way of eating, I have eaten 1 serving of dried mangos to quench my sweet tooth, and have kept my carbs at 60 to 80. I am influenced by the Grain Brain book.

You are fighter, and I see you are doing all you can to help yourself. You mentioned on your Profile page how you don't understand the question "Why do you want to get in shape", and your answer "“Being healthy and fit seems like a basic human need”. Because you are fighting cancer you are living each moment to the fullest. For years, I took life for granted. I *love* life, but ate what I wanted cause "I thought I could"...and when I got a heart attack in 2009, I vowed I would take care of myself. Even in the next few years, I "played" with fire by continuing eating junk food. I FINALLY I think I found my niche with LCHF...cause now I have grandchildren "I" want to be mentally and physically healthy.

I just wanted to write to say how much I admire your fight. I cannot offer any advice, but have learned a lot from you. Glad you are a part of this site. Look forward to seeing your continued progress toward your full recovery.

Sending prayers for your continued healing.

Hugs and Smiles,
    Deb

Hi Deb,

Thanks for reaching out. I so wish I could control myself with things like dried mangos in small portions, but no such luck for me - I'm an extremist, all-or-nothing kinda' gal, but mmmmmmmmmm, those are SO delicious!!! I seriously can eat half a Costco bag in one sitting, easily!

Thank you for your kind words - I can't really take credit for being a "fighter" to be honest, but I can certainly see that YOU are, and I thank you for sharing with me what you're going through as well.

HFLC is really great in so many ways. Among other things, I noticed it significantly stabilizes my moods and thereby allows me to think and process much better with more clarity.

Thank you again for the note, and prayers for you, too! I appreciate all the prayers I can get, and I know they fall on listening, caring ears upstairs! :)

Hugs!
  • Mele1973
    Options
    I have a fat bomb that I super like. It's fatty and sweet and works when you're needing to up that fat and have something sweet.

8 oz cream cheese
    8 oz butter
    1 cup granular sugar sub (I use Stevia)
    cocoa powder to taste
    cinnamon to taste

bring cheese and butter to room temp
    add remaining ingredients
    mix thoroughly

I line a baking sheet with parchment paper then place little globs of the mixture. Place that in the freezer. When frozen, remove and place in a zip loc bag and freeze.

These are yum!

Hi Deborah105,

Awesome recipe which I can easily mix up various flavors - mmmmm - I'm getting excited to start back on this now!!

Thank you very much!!
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions here. I also have heavy whipping cream at home and on the road its been my savior. I just go to starbucks and order and heavy cream latte. I am full and don't have to worry about fat or worry about snacking.
  • Mele1973
    Options
    Great suggestions here. I also have heavy whipping cream at home and on the road its been my savior. I just go to starbucks and order and heavy cream latte. I am full and don't have to worry about fat or worry about snacking.

Hi! Thank you for the input! I had to add organic heavy whipping cream to my list! Yumm!