Talking Dead: Team Rick

Options

Replies

• aprilyankee
    aprilyankee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I guess it doesn't really matter because we don't have to do them :laugh: , but I won't want to give something I wouldn't do myself. The blender video looks good. I also like the idea of a circut training. Maybe something on a graduating scale, 5 repetitions day one, then double each day. I would be cool to do something from the show, but running throught the woods isn't really feasible for everyone. I love how Daryl makes cocking a crossbow look easy. Its not. That would be a good workout, but again, not feasible for everyone.

So we're getting Abraham! Yaaaaay!
  • christopherphillips1983
    Options
    I got called in to work so I'm just going to roll with Emily's suggestion earlier, as it looks perfectly sound to me.
    1 min jumping jacks; 10 sit ups/roll ups/crunches; 1 min jump rope; 1 min side plank (30 sec each side); 5 burpees.
  • colibri23
    colibri23 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Some people are asking questions regarding the circuit on the other boards. Here are my thoughts:

The circuit should be done 5 times throughout the week, how you break it up is up to you. It would be 10 sit ups OR roll ups OR crunches, not 10 of each (thought that was clear, my bad!). I "jump rope" frequently without a jump rope---just pretend you have one in your hands and make the same motions of jumping over a rope (and the good thing is there's no chance of tripping yourself!). If anyone feels this is too advanced, there are modifications that can be done (side plank on your knees, you can google low impact jumping jacks and see demonstrations, etc). There are most definitely ways to bring this to anyone's fitness level especially because it's a very short circuit (only 5 minutes a day like the other punishments have been), so I would invite people to modify as they feel comfortable while still making it challenging.

I have no idea what Cindy thinks about which this can count towards, strength or cardio, but I would hazard a guess that you can count it towards whichever is more beneficial to you---Cindy has stated before that interval training or something that could be counted as either, such as P90x, can be counted as either.
  • colibri23
    Options
    Obviously if anyone on the team, especially our Chris or Cindy, feels differently about anything I suggested, we can amend what I said! I just felt somewhat responsible for clearing up some of the initial confusion since I was the one who suggested the circuit.
  • aprilyankee
    Options
    I think that sounds great as it is. It reminds me of the workout Michonne does. I like that the workout can be strength or cardio, but I would like to see it as an addition above their set goals (not to be used as a part of reaching their goals). So 5 days at 5 minutes each day would be 25 minutes of circuit training.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Obviously if anyone on the team, especially our Chris or Cindy, feels differently about anything I suggested, we can amend what I said! I just felt somewhat responsible for clearing up some of the initial confusion since I was the one who suggested the circuit.
    The circuit sounds good, although Chris messaged me last night when I asked him about the frequency and he said it would be fine if the teams only did it once. I'm sure some of them will do it oftener and share with eachother. Our captain is not quite as mean as some of the other captains. :laugh: Hopefully they will remember our kindness. :tongue:
  • colibri23
    Options
    The circuit sounds good, although Chris messaged me last night when I asked him about the frequency and he said it would be fine if the teams only did it once. I'm sure some of them will do it oftener and share with eachother. Our captain is not quite as mean as some of the other captains. :laugh: Hopefully they will remember our kindness. :tongue:

Excellent! I'm glad we've got it sorted out, and I think that together we've worked out a very creative punishment. Well done, once again, Team Rick! Looking forward to another smashing week with you all :smile:
  • SaraAlexandre
    SaraAlexandre Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    Creative punishment! Congrats on the win team!
    Options
    Sorry if I was dropping the ball on communication this week; been wrapped up in other things and I've found it's frankly more stressful looking for a new job than it is keeping your old one. I feel like my head is about to explode at my next interview.

Anyway, I've got everyone's reports and Rick managed to not get killed yet this week, so we're looking good!

Our team's averages this week were 325.2 minutes of cardio and 156 minutes of strength training, and everyone was within their personal quotas. While that's far from bad (we're still well over the weekly minimums on both counts), we did have a big drop-off in cardio from last week (464 minutes) and the week before (391.6). I figure it's also worth pointing out that our strength training average has actually dropped every week since the competition started; it's gone from 186 to 96.25 (an outlier due to the fact that I was very sick and didn't include myself) to 176 to 164 to 156. Granted, that's probably more on me than anyone else since I always log more strength training than all four of you combined, but still.

I'm not actually complaining since, as I said, we're still making at least our minimums each week. I just wanted to mention this now to prevent a motivational collapse in the coming weeks. Remember, our team is by far the smallest in the Advanced bracket; we each have a significantly bigger impact on our team's averages than the guys in Team Daryl or Team Michonne (both of which have 12 people to our 5). If anyone's having issues with motivation or some other problem, let us know! I can't speak for each of you, but I'll happily do some extra cardio to help cover someone else having a busy week.
  • aprilyankee
    Options
    I know this week was my lowest cardio & strength week yet, by far. Anyone else? I assumed I was the only one.... Mid challenge slump? For me I actually got 2 puppies (fostering) 2 weeks ago and they have monopolized my time/energy. Freaking adorable but massively time consuming. Worse than having a baby, at least babies have diapers. Off to new homes yesterday! So excited, they are staying together and keeping their names. Full house clean this week, carpets to shampoo!

I would say I've plateaued but I don't think so. I think my level of effort has contributed to my lack of results. Had a few good weeks and got cocky :laugh: So far I've had a great start to this week. I will probably finish my minimums today and the rest of the week will be all gravy. As anyone completed their weekly goals in one day? I'm going to have to try that some time...
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    Team Daryl has decided on this week's punishment exercise, the Spartan Bow. 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVyvF2B3CIo
    If this is too difficult for your current level, you can do basic lunges instead. Please complete this exercise 30 times per leg, 4 times this week. 
  • colibri23
    Options
    That definitely looks challenging! I'm kind of nervous to try it, but on the other hand I enjoy trying out new exercises to see what my body can do.

April--That sounds adorable!! I'm infinitely glad that the puppies went to their "forever home" together. Happy endings involving cute animals always get me. As far as mid challenge slump, I think it's quite common. I've been in a few different challenges, and it always seems like the midway point is when people drop off or slow down their efforts a bit. The good news is that "those who stay will be champions" (can you tell I'm from Michigan? lol). It seems like you, and everyone on this team, are the type of person who may see themselves getting a little lax in their efforts but instead of giving up it you just get the motivation to fight harder. I think being part of a small team is also beneficial in this way---I feel like since we're so tight-knit we have that extra motivation to work hard. There's no hiding in the back, and we all know that our effort matters! Besides, chasing around and cleaning up after two puppies means that you definitely didn't take it too easy this past week :laugh:

Chris-- how goes the job hunt? I know how stressful that can be! Keep your chin up.
  • aprilyankee
    Options
    The exercise looks interesting. I looks like a basic one legged squat. I don't know what the purpose of the arm movement is, if only to bend down to engage the abs. I have horrible balance so it will be a challenge for me just to stand on one leg, let alone try the arm movement thing. I do love trying a new exercise though!

Another week of no Rick. Hopefully he'll show up in the next. Or at least Abraham. Daryl's is definitely kicking butt this season.

I'm up to 315 minutes of cardio and 125 minutes of strength this week (thru Wed) thus far. Who's got me beat?
    Options
    Another week without any sign of Rick or Abraham. Yay! But hey, one team just got taken out entirely, so I suppose it could be worse.

Anyway, I've compiled your reports for the previous week. All in all it's quite good; our averages are up considerably from last week's low points. Our final averages are 358.75 minutes of cardio, 182.5 minutes of strength training, and everyone was within their goals. That's a nice jump up from last week's 325 cardio and 156 strength training! Also, congrats to Emily on also completing a 5K yesterday morning in addition to her normal cardio for the week.
    Chris-- how goes the job hunt? I know how stressful that can be! Keep your chin up.

I haven't QUITE started spiraling into depression and alcoholism, but I can only go so many months without getting call-backs before it starts making me go insane. Just to add insult to injury, my wife applied to literally one place, got an interview the next day, and was reporting for training the following week. It's like the universe is conspiring to make me feel bad.
  • aprilyankee
    Options
    I haven't QUITE started spiraling into depression and alcoholism, but I can only go so many months without getting call-backs before it starts making me go insane. Just to add insult to injury, my wife applied to literally one place, got an interview the next day, and was reporting for training the following week. It's like the universe is conspiring to make me feel bad.

Yeah, I feel your pain. I see it from the other end because I'm a hiring manager. Just keep in mind that many positions that are posted actually plan to pull from a pool of internal applicants first, they just post the position because they "have" to for equal opportunity purposes. Also some positions are posted to generate interest and there is no actual job. Sometimes companies post positions so their competition thinks they are hiring. Having a few open positions increases stock value. I would say apply a lot, to a lot of different companies. I can't tell you how many hundreds of jobs I applied for that I was perfectly qualified for. It took my 2 years to find my job. My friend found out she was losing her job last week, applied to one job and has already been interviewed and set up with a training schedule. It's really about timing. Just keep at it!
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    Leader board has been updated here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1195194-weekly-leaderboard-and-most-valuable-players
    Glenn and Maggie will be choosing the punishment this week. What's nice is there has been a different winner every week so far. Congrats to all the MVPs and have a great week everyone. Hoping to see some reunions in the next few episodes.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    Punishment has been decided. Glenn and Maggie would like everyone to do a 60 second plank, 3 times this week.
  • aprilyankee
    Options
    Hi all! Hope you're having a good week. I'm car shopping which I HATE. Most of my "walking" has been that. Up to 240 minutes of cardio thus far so will have spare numbers if anyone is short. And I just realized I haven't done my planks yet. I did over 600 minutes of planks last week finishing up an ab challenge. So more planks today, tomorrow and Saturday for me :)
    Options
    I think everybody hates car shopping. Anyone who doesn't is different and strange.

Anyway, I've got your reports and this week's number. Our averages this week were 371.25 minutes of cardio (up 20 minutes from last week) and 171.25 minutes of strength training (down 10 from last week), and, just like every other week, everyone was within their overall goals. Seriously, our team is awesome about meeting our goals.

Personally, I'm excited for next week since the previews indicated that Rick might ACTUALLY do something of consequence! Our team might be relevant again! How exciting!

Also, I made a graph of our weekly progress. You can find it here:
    http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-89322-1395641343.jpg

I didn't have to for any reason, I just felt like it because I like graphs.
  • aprilyankee
    Options
    I think everybody hates car shopping. Anyone who doesn't is different and strange.

Anyway, I've got your reports and this week's number. Our averages this week were 371.25 minutes of cardio (up 20 minutes from last week) and 171.25 minutes of strength training (down 10 from last week), and, just like every other week, everyone was within their overall goals. Seriously, our team is awesome about meeting our goals.

Personally, I'm excited for next week since the previews indicated that Rick might ACTUALLY do something of consequence! Our team might be relevant again! How exciting!

Also, I made a graph of our weekly progress. You can find it here:
    http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-89322-1395641343.jpg

I didn't have to for any reason, I just felt like it because I like graphs.

The graph is awesome, I love graphs! We are a pretty awesome team. Small but mighty.

Car shopping sucks because I'm picky. Why is it so hard to find a manual transmission?

Disappointed again, no Rick. But at least we had Abraham, and looks like he killed a couple zombies, so we shouldn't be completely "pointless" as usual. So excited for those that came together but still ready to see the others. Who else thinks Terminus is going to be worse than Woodbury? I'm curious to see how many people are there. Looks like a nice setup, maybe they can take it over ala Governor style...