What tool do you use to make Zoodles?

Options
Jenny_Rose77
Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
Hi! Forgive me if this is a very basic question and has been asked before, but what do you guys use to make zoodles (zucchini noodles). I am just getting started with Paleo, and loving things that I make with spaghetti quash, but would like to branch out. I read some reviews on Amazon for different things, but I'm looking for something relatively easy to use and clean and that I won't cut myself with.

Links to a specific item very much appreciated. Thanks!!

Replies

• EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love zoodles and make it often. I use an OXO hand-held julienne peeler. If I have a lot to do, then I'll use a Swissmar mandoline slicer. The hand-held is nice because the zoodles are always the right size and thickness. With the mandoline and changing the blades, they're either too thin or too thick. If you're worried about cutting yourself, I'd suggest a hand-held.

Welcome to the Paleo lifestyle :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm using a julienne peeler too.. I have a zillion attachments for my Kitchen Aid mixer but it's more work to dig it out and install the attachments than just doing it manually. For some big shredding jobs I will dig out the food processor but it's a pain too. I've thought about buying a spiralizer but I think my spending on kitchen gadgets has just gone too far. I'm learning to make do with what I have. (I wish my mandolin had changeable blades; guess I could've bought a better one.)

Oh and I do cut myself. All the time. Just took off a big piece of flesh from my hand with the mandolin two days ago. At least with the manual tools my injuries are not life threatening. I think my fear of electronic cutting devices and power tools is justified. :ohwell:
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I got mine on amazon too but a different one from the last poster. It comes with 3 different blades and is pretty easy to clean. it goes on sale a lot, right now it's $45 but I kept a watch on it for a few months and got it for $18 (if you don't mind waiting). I love the thing, I have spiralized everything that you can spiralize!!

http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-A4982799-Tri-Blade/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395101543&sr=8-1&keywords=spiralizer
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Options
    Thanks for the leads! I think I'm going to order the Cuisavour. Yum, zoodles! :-)
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I was using my OXO mandolin, but recently purchased the Paderno spiral slicer.

If you get a mandolin, absolutely invest in the anti-cut glove. It is such a skin saver!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Options
    After going back and reading reviews, I ended up getting the Paderno. I'm excited to make zoodles. Now I just need to find the space to store this gadget!
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Mine is still sitting on the counter next to the sink. We have no space...lol