How much did you pay for it and where ?
Do you like it ?

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    HP Inspiron
    Specs irrelevant :D

I'm installing Windows 7 on it this week. That is how much I like Windows 8.

It's my mother's new laptop, and being able to do anything she's used to doing is an absolute nightmare. Even simple things like importing photos from a camera has been "simplified" and made more awkward and cumbersome because of it.
  • Routerninja
    Options
    Had it, hated it, rolled back to 7. It was a free upgrade with my gaming laptop. (Quad core i7, 16GB RAM)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    HP Pavilion
    Oops.
  • GamerGirly
    GamerGirly Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I7 too.
    It's a love hate relationship. But I will say with the new update to load it on the desktop has saved many mili seconds of stress!!!
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My work laptop has it. My personal gaming computer has it. It's fast as heck... I'm an engineer so I am using CAD all day long and it just roars along. I think people don't like it because it is different. I started on a pc with 3.1 when 4MB of RAM was amazing. So I guess I'm use to change. Meh... to each his/her own :bigsmile:

BTW... I don't even have the update that supposedly brought back the start button.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I have no issues with it. It's a new interace. Little known fact that if click on the desktop icon, you get your classic desktop view again. But you can also buy programs that give you the classic view from the start up.

Sorry. I have self built AMD FX 9370 on an ASUS M5A99FX motherboard with 16GB of RAM.
  • brewji
    brewji Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Intel i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz
    16GB ram
    Radeon 7950

I'd rather use Vista and get kicked in the nuts than stay with windows 8.
    I went back to windows 7 within the week I got my PC.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Win8 is frankly limiting and frustrating, even more so for "power users".

The only positive things you will hear about it are: "It's OK now that they have the start to desktop option" or "Hey, I can swap to the desktop by clicking here you see...".
    Which makes you wonder what the point of having the "app view" thing in the first place is if the only thing everyone is trying to do is run away from this view.

I'm sure it's great if you have a touchscreen, but who would want to stare at a screen full of finger prints anyway? That'd annoy me for sure.
  • timodawson
    timodawson Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    HP Probook 4530s
    Intel Core i3 @ 2.30GHz
    4GB RAM
    Windows 8.1 64bit

I think I paid around $550 for the laptop but that was 18 months ago or so. I may be in the minority but I like Windows 8. It runs fast, easy to find apps/settings just by typing. Handles Photoshop and Lightroom just fine.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Dunno. It's on our new laptop and I hate it.
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used for XP for 12 years and intend to get that much life out of Windows 7.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Win8 is frankly limiting and frustrating, even more so for "power users".

The only positive things you will hear about it are: "It's OK now that they have the start to desktop option" or "Hey, I can swap to the desktop by clicking here you see...".
    Which makes you wonder what the point of having the "app view" thing in the first place is if the only thing everyone is trying to do is run away from this view.
    ^^^ this. i5 @ 3.40Ghz, GTX 770, 8GB ram.

huge dislike :explode:

edit: my husband and i built this computer. it was pricey...
  • NyssaDuck
    NyssaDuck Posts: 50
    Options
    Windows 8 is perfectly fine, I've come to quite like it. It's the same Windows as 7 to be honest, with a slightly different Start system (tiles instead of a menu). I can see it would be frustrating for people who work on the computer ("power users" like myself with web design/development, though it doesn't bother me now). It took some getting used to, but after a couple of days, use was fluent. I have a touch screen but don't bother using it, and I very rarely need to use the tile interface.

It's worth just dealing with it for the system performance increase (paired with an SSD as well).

Built the computer myself, but specs:
    AMD FX-8350
    8GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Windows 8.1 64-bit

Wasn't too expensive, but I had some parts already.