Recipes- let's share!

Options
I made these brownies today and they are to die for!! I used dried plums instead of dates because that is what Aldi had. Used vegetable oil instead of olive. Only had 1/4 c almonds so I used an extra 1/4 c of the dried plums. Also used bittersweet chocolate instead of unsweetened :)

Recipe tool gave me 173 calories per serving (9 servings)

http://www.health.com/health/m/recipe/0,,504000
00133014,00.html

I have more I will share too! Share yours!

Replies

• dani_ban
    dani_ban Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    wow! thanks for sharing maybe over the weekend I might try to make these.

Right now my big thing is a breakfast burrito: tortilla, eggs, turkey bacon, tomato, spinach and half a slice of cheese. It is so good and low on calories.
  • cmann1988
    cmann1988 Posts: 38
    Options
    I will have to try that Dani! Here is my favorite meatloaf recipe. I've used it for a couple of years now. It is so moist & yummy. As long as you use lean beef, it is pretty healthy. You could probably even use ground turkey!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/old-fashioned-meat-loaf-aka-basic-meatloaf-recipe.html
  • cmann1988
    Options
    Found another great recipe and tried it today! I had 2 extra ripe bananas so needed something to take care of those. The recipe says it will yield 9 servings but I measured out in 1/3 cup servings like it said and I only got 6. I replaced canola oil with coconut oil, fat free milk with soy milk, and quick cooking oats with old fashioned rolled. Also, I added 2 tablespoons of milled flax seed, and sprinkled a total of 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips over the top of the 6 muffins. I plugged into the MFP recipe tool, it came out to just over 200 calories per muffin. I had 1/2 of one for a snack and shared 1/2 with my 4 year old. They were awesome!! He loved them too! I will be making another batch of these and freezing for quick before-work breakfasts.

http://www.health.com/health/recipe/0,,10000001615470,00.html
  • cortycrazy
    cortycrazy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Not much of a recipe but lately I've been wanting grilled peaches and vanilla frozen yogurt. SO GOOD.
  • ecu_jules
    ecu_jules Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    One of our favorite low carb meals are stuffed peppers.

1-1.5lbs ground turkey or lean beef
    Taco seasoning pack
    Rotel tomatos
    1\2 cup water
    3-4 Peppers (any color, but I like Red and poblano)
    Olive oil
    Shredded cheese

Wash and hollow out peppers. I cut peppers in half to make two "bowls".
    Brush each pepper with olive oil and bake at 400 for about 15-20 minutes while you cook meat.
    Brown meat, add Rotel (undrained)
    Add water and taco seasoning
    Sauteed for a few minutes until taco sauce thickens
    Remove peppers from oven. Scoop mixture into peppers and cover with shredded cheese.
    Bake until cheese is melted and begins to brown
    Top with sour cream,salsa,guacamole as desired

Tips:
    The number of peppers you use depends on their size. If you used 3 decent sized bell peppers you have 6 stuffed peppers. Poblano peppers are my favorite and they are not always big enough to cut in half so I just lay them on the side and take a piece off the top.

Really yummy cheese (like trader joes cheddar or jack) that you shred yourself makes them awesome, but bagged SC works too

Sometimes I add a can of rinsed black beans to mixture, but then its not low carb.
  • cmann1988
    Options
    I just bought a few peppers!! Will have to try this sometime this week...
  • cmann1988
    Options
    That sounds AMAZING!! I love froyo with pretty much anything :)
  • cmann1988
    Options
    Found a new favorite side dish!! From Ina Garten @ Food Network:

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
    3 tablespoons good olive oil
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly. Sprinkle with more kosher salt ( I like these salty like French fries), and serve immediately.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-brussels-sprouts-recipe2.print.html#?oc=linkback
  • cmann1988
    Options
    Just wanted to post my other recipes in the body of this post since I'm not sure the links worked properly. Here is the first one:

Fudgy Flourless Brownies

Prep Time: 15 Cook Time: 30
    Yield: Yield: 9 brownies (serving size: 1 brownie)
    Ingredients
    1/2 cup sliced almonds
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup packed pitted Medjool dates
    1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 large egg whites
    2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips, optional
    Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 325ºF. Line an 8-inch square pan with foil, allowing a 1-inch overhang. Coat with cooking spray.

2. In a food processor, blend almonds, cocoa, sugar, chocolate, baking soda and salt until ground. Pulse in dates, almond milk, oil and vanilla until a smooth paste forms.

3. Beat egg whites until medium peaks form. Stir in one-third of almond mixture, then fold in remaining mixture. Spread in baking pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips, if desired.

4. Bake until a toothpick inserted 1 inch from edge comes out almost clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack.

Source: health.com
  • cmann1988
    Options
    Here is the meatloaf. I made this tonight. Skipped the brown sugar in the topping and made 8 servings :)

Old-Fashioned Meat Loaf- A.K.A 'Basic' Meat Loaf
    Total Time:
    1 hr 10 min
    Prep:
    10 min
    Cook:
    1 hr

Ingredients
    1 pound ground beef
    1 1/4 teaspoons salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    8 ounces canned diced tomatoes with juice
    1/4 cup quick-cooking oats

Topping:
    1/3 cup ketchup
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon prepared mustard

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Mix all meatloaf ingredients well and place in a baking dish. Shape into a loaf.

Topping:

Mix ingredients for topping and spread on loaf. Bake for 1 hour.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/old-fashioned-meat-loaf-aka-basic-meatloaf-recipe.print.html?oc=linkback
  • ebrady913
    ebrady913 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So a friend gave us this service when LO was born and we've been using the recipes from the cookbook when we run out of meals- it's really nice since the recipes are only for 2 servings so we can easily split it in half.

Here's the link to the cookbook (which is free to use)

One of DH's favorite things is French Onion Soup and they have a vegetarian version (I can't eat beef) so we're making that for dinner tonight!

http://www.blueapron.com/cookbook
  • cmann1988
    Options
    Thanks ebrady! I meant to check that out when you mentioned it before but I'm definitely looking at it now. Looks awesome. Will definitely be adding a few of these into our mealtimes :)
  • usmc_wife_va
    usmc_wife_va Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Flourless muffins using oatmeal. Mine didn't come out so great since I didn't blend it enough but they're just the right amount of sweetness.

http://www.welltraveledwife.com/2012/09/oatmeal-banana-breakfast-muffins.html?m=1