Amping Up Calorie Burn

Options
I was wondering, for those of you looking to increase calorie burn in your practice, do you ever pick up the pace of your flow? Or maybe break up your practice with some ab work or jumping jacks or just shaking your *kitten* for a minute or two? Sometimes, I increase my speed by double, and I inevitably end up sliding around in my own sweat. I also do lots of *kitten*-shaking and other cardio moves, and it makes all the difference in the world. This may not be the best idea for beginners, or for those looking for a more meditative or restorative practice, but I find it really works for me. Just thought I'd ask if anyone else is into high-speed yoga or yogic booty shakin'.

Replies

• hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would go down well in my yoga class!

I don't do yoga at home very often but if I did I would probably stick to yoga and go get my booty shaking at some zumba classes or go for a run. For me yoga has to be yoga. Although I don't mind bodybalance which is pilates and t'ai chi fused with mainly yoga. But other wise it has to be pure-ish.

For you, do whatever suits you! It doesn't matter, as long as you enjoy it :)

Namaste
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Can't say I do anything like that. If I did that in class, I wouldn't plan on coming back :laugh:

I don't really worry about the calorie burn of yoga. It's not why I practice. Like hellsbells said, if you want calorie burn, do cardio.

That being said, it's not that unusual for me to do ab work or arm work in my home practice. They are yoga poses, but they are poses that build heat and strength.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I like my yoga to just be yoga. I did a Jillian Michaels Yoga Burn type video once, and i HATED it.

I've found with my daily practice, I really don't need to worry about the calorie burn.