New Member!

Options
Hello! I just started ADF yesterday. I'm thinking i'll do more of a 4:3 thing so that my fast days are the same each week. Have any of you had real good results with this way of eating? Yesterday was my first fast day (500 calories) and it surprisingly wasn't that hard knowing that I could eat normal today!

Replies

• itbloke
    itbloke Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi Laura,

Firstly welcome to MFP.

I chose the 4:3 plan for the same reasons you have, I have set days each week that I fast and can plan ahead.

I fast on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays which leaves my weekend free and flexible.

I have been doing the 4:3 fast for the last 30 days, and at this point it is much easier to handle than when I first started. Hunger no longer controls me, and I have found that I can't overeat on my feasting days (just soooo full). When I first started I was taking some appetite suppressants to help me through the day, but now I don't feel like I need them (have done a few days without them without any issues)

So far I have lost 8.6kg (about 19 pounds) and am feeling pretty energetic, I had to change my macros a little on my feasting days (increase carbs) to recharge as was feeling a little flat in my third week - with that change the last week has been great!

Approximately 600 calories on my fasting days, I break it up to about 300 for breakfast and 200 for dinner which seems to work well with me, plenty of water and the occasional green tea helps.

And yes, knowing you can eat normal the next day greatly helps to see it through, I even go as far as planning my days ahead so I have something to look forward to.
  • Hello I'm new here first day I'm doing Tuesday Thursdays and Saturdays 4:3:heart:
  • susanaxpto
    susanaxpto Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi!

This is my second week and I am loving it! :)
    I am still thinking about food all day on my fasting days but I have been very good so far :)
    I am also doing 4:3.

ITBLOKE: Thanks for sharing your experience, it really helps the newbies knowing that this is something that really works!
    Congrats on your 8.6kg!
  • susanaxpto
    susanaxpto Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Laura!

How are you finding it so far?
  • StormyDingo
    StormyDingo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been eating this way since around the middle of October . I love it and have lost 27 pounds
  • lisasback25
    Options
    Not quite a new member but trying this fasting thing out. I am eating 0 cals every other day and so far so good. I will keep you posted, first weigh in will be Friday the 6th.:wink:
  • rbyg
    rbyg Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I started adf on june 1 with 400-500 on fasting and within 1200 on feasting days. lets see how it goes.add me
  • krissyboothang
    krissyboothang Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I started ADF June 2nd, I started IF on May 1
    Heres my stats
    189 May 1st
    181 May 31st
    180.5 CW
    150 Goal
    I eat 100-400 cals on DD and 1400-1800 on Up days, if I don't see results then I am willing to increase my UD calorie intake,
    With this method could I possibly hit my goal my the end of 2014..

Thanks
    Oh and today is my Birthday!!!! :happy:
  • RubberBugggy
    RubberBugggy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have been doing ADF for about a week. So far so good. How about every one else?

?
  • londonlemming
    Options
    I've been doing full blown alternate days with no food whatsoever (usually only 2-3 cappuccinos) on DD since Jan and have lost 93 pounds so far...
  • jro003
    jro003 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am just starting ADF today and can't help but think of all the ways I could screw this up! What happens if there's a special event on a scheduled down day? Do you just do two up days in a row, or is there a better way to deal with this? Also, I have read that my body will get used to the down days and not feel too hungry, but I'm honestly worried about being able to concentrate at work. Does it really get easier?? Thanks for the support.
  • StormyDingo
    StormyDingo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Personally I do two up days in a row when there is a special occasion. I feel this is a way of life so it has to be something I will stick with. Some people do double down days to make up for it but I have never felt the need. For me the first two weeks was the hardest then it got easier. I still have some tough down days but not like at first. You do get use to it and even enjoy the down days.
  • jro003
    jro003 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you! That's helpful. :)
  • RubberBugggy
    Options
    There is an Every Other Day Diet facebook page you might find helpful. I have been doing this since June 9. It does get easier. It might help to have a 500 calorie meal plan for the fast days at first.
  • underpsi01
    underpsi01 Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm new to fasting. Started small 10 hours -44 hours of fasting. Gradually working towards it. I feel better. Food taste better. It feels like Christmas when I break a fast. Now I want to try alternate days of fasting. I want to stay low carb. Not sure what my menu should look like on fast days of 500 cal. Doing a lot of research feels like I found a new toy to play with.:bigsmile:
  • RubberBugggy
    Options
    I have been using Dr. Krista Varady's the Every Other Day Diet. She and her colleagues have done most of the research on this. I have been following her book - very straight forward and simple. I am still keeping to all the restrictions I had before - no grains no dairy - because of allergies, - no problem. You should be able to eat the way you want on Feast day.
  • retziegal
    retziegal Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started alternate day fasting (ADF) 4 weeks ago, and I'm down 11.2 lbs. (I do have a LOT to lose, so it may seem like a large loss in a months' span).

My fasting days are 500-600 calories, and it's gotten much easier since the beginning. Week 1 and Week 2 fasting days were kind of tough. By incorporating lean proteins (nonfat Greek yogurt, etc), I can stay a bit more satisfied and energetic. I've upped my water and green tea intake, and that helps a lot too. On my Feast days, I find that I've started to choose healthier options than in the beginning weeks of ADF - and I'm not stuffing myself full as I was in those beginning few weeks. I'm embarrassed to say, my first week of 'Feast' days were extremely indulgent (large amounts of ice cream, burgers, fries etc etc) but I tracked everything on here anyway. The good, the bad, and the ugly!

I still do have some cravings on my Fasting days, but knowing I could have it the very next day is what gets me through.
    So far, I'm liking this a lot.

Good luck!
  • LifesAStage
    Options
    Hi All!

I have been practicing Alternate Day Fasting since September of 2013 along with my husband. We fast on Sundays/Tuesdays/Thursdays and have an "off day" on Friday where we don't count calories. So we do the 4:3 thing.

My parents and several siblings and co workers have just started after seeing how it has helped my husband and I to not only lose weight but become healthier all around.

Feel free to friend request me as I need more fasting buddies! Lately, I've had some health issues that have been attempting to derail me from the plan, but I'm stickin to it! :)

Rachel
  • RubberBugggy
    Options
    I have health issues too to work around. let's be friends.