Do you still count calories w/clean eating?

Options
raynarayne
raynarayne Posts: 15 Member
I'm trying to get back on track to lose weight. I did Atkins but I failed at that my problem is I get very overwhelmed with counting carbs and figuring all that stuff out. I have read many clean eating blogs and a lot of the people say they don't found calories. I do plan on weighing my food but I'm just curious if anyone has just not counted calories eating this way and still lost weight? I'm embarrassed to say I have 100+ lbs to lose so I hope me eating this way will not only help me lose the weight but make me feel better..more energy.
Thanks!

Replies

• watermelonsugar_
    Options
    If you're looking to lose weight, calorie counting is a very helpful tool - however if you've got 100+ pounds to lose, you've got some warm up room!

Eat all the veggies in the world, go easy on starchy fruits and veggies. Careful with the oils, and weight out 4-6oz of meat per serving! Once you get in the swing of things, you can start to write down what you eat in a day, and later on add in calorie counting.

I find easing into things keeps food and eating enjoyable.
  • raynarayne
    Options
    Thanks, I appreciate the advice. It is all so confusing for me and I'm scared ill get overwhelmed and just quit which I don't want to do!
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think counting calories in the beginning is a good way to learn what everything contains. That way you can start making "smarter" choices. So I have learned that some of my homemade dips are different. If I am needing more carbs or protein I will pick one over another because I now know understand the nutritional breakdown better. I also think that by tracking I am learning to find more balance in what I eat. So if I am getting high in my carbs for the day I might chose to have a side of broccoli instead of a sweet potato.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I think if you are in weight loss mode, then yes, counting calories is important. As the previous poster said, it is a good way to learn what everything contains. And it is possible to overeat, even when eating clean. Some fruits and starchy veggies are fairly high in calories, so though they aren't bad for you, they may at some point, hinder your weight loss. So I think it's a good idea to have an idea of how many calories are in the foods you are eating.

And start with small changes, so you aren't overwhelmed. Just eat more veggies and lean proteins. Slowly wean out the processed foods with healthier, more natural options. Work some of your favorite foods in to your calorie plan for the day until you find alternatives for them or are willing to eat less of it. That way you don't feel deprived and feel like it isn't worth it.

As someone who has been in your shoes, remember that you are in this for the long haul. So any change you make in regards to eating or exercise, make sure it's a change you can live with for life.

Good luck and remember to find the fun along your weight loss journey! :flowerforyou:
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options

And start with small changes, so you aren't overwhelmed. Just eat more veggies and lean proteins. Slowly wean out the processed foods with healthier, more natural options. Work some of your favorite foods in to your calorie plan for the day until you find alternatives for them or are willing to eat less of it. That way you don't feel deprived and feel like it isn't worth it.

As someone who has been in your shoes, remember that you are in this for the long haul. So any change you make in regards to eating or exercise, make sure it's a change you can live with for life.

Good luck and remember to find the fun along your weight loss journey!

This 100%. I first started making changes in July 2012. One week I cut back on diet coke, the next week I cut back on coffee, then another week I cut out soft drink all together. Some months I've counted calories and other months I haven't. Currently I'm not. I'm focusing mainly on eating good quality food, protein from various sources, fruits and veg. I do eat processed food but very limited and that's more food like Greek yoghurt and hummus.

If something doesn't work for you, don't give up just try something else it's worth it. ????????
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Counting calories works best for me (although I don't always do it!)

I find it is amazing how much food I can eat when I am eating "intuitively" (basically sometimes double what I should to be losing/maintaining weight). I know intuitive eating works great for some people, and I wish it worked for me. Unfortunately for me, "intuitively" I just want to be a fat-*kitten*. :-0

Counting calories is pretty much the only thing that keeps me accountable.
  • raynarayne
    Options
    Thanks everyone. You all have been very helpful :-)