Road Trip Food Suggestions

Options
trimom10
trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
Spring break time is coming up, along with a good old fashioned road trip. You know the one where you drive eight hours a day and do a pit stop for 10 minutes to grab food, use a bathroom, and then back on the freeway. I'm new to the protein/veggie meals, and would like some suggestions on what to order while away from home (especially when it's only Subway, McDonalds, or a gas station for food).

Replies

• newsace
    newsace Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Here's a good post from Mark Sisson with some ideas:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-ways-forage-fast-food-nation

Personally, I tend to go much less "clean" -- beef jerky and nuts from the gas station or a sack of Arby's 5 for $5 (or for $5.95 or $6.95 or whatever they're charging these days) and just eat the roast beef and throw away the buns.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    If you do not pack your food you will get stuck, freeze things that can be eaten room temp and if you can handle cheese and nuts they will keep your fat content high enough to put off hunger pangs. Other than that most places will have salad options but their dressing are always terrible bring some with you.
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Road trips can be navigated but you have to be pretty vigilant. There is a great app called Road Ninja that I grabbed on my last driving trip. It tells you what is coming up at the next exit and in nearby surrounding areas. We were able to find better places to stop that way. However, if you are stuck at gas stations and such, I will order a fast food salad and a chicken (grilled) or hamburger, throw away the bun and add the extra meat to the salad, Ido order the salads with chicken but want the extra protein. If you are lucky enough to come across a WaWa you can get veggies, hard boiled eggs, fruits, cheese (if you eat it). Nuts, jerky, pork rinds, some gas stations have a "healthy" section these days where you can find a better selection of trail mixes etc. Outside of that, bring a cooler stocked with goodies to supplement along the way, and eat really well before you leave and after you get there.

Above all, have a blast!!!
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    We did a road trip this summer (epic really) from Fairbanks, AK to Dayton, OH. For the first leg I always pack stuff, but that can get harder if you're driving for a few days. We would stop at grocery stores too though and just kept our cooler stocked. A lot of stores now have hte already boiled hard boiled eggs from Eggland's Best, those are a great thing to pick up. Stopping at a store vs. a gas station takes a few extra minutes, but is really worth it. If you use them for your bathroom breaks too, it helps to keep the time down. One person shops the other pees, then meets in line to pay and let the other person pee.

food to pack from homw:
    hard boiled eggs, they are safe for a few days, especially if you use a cooler
    home made beef jerky
    bacon, cook a pound or two ahead of time, it'll be fine
    throw together some nuts and extra dark chocolate chunks/chips for trail mix
    sturdy veggies that can handle being out of the fridge- like mini peppers

Restaurants: Jimmy John's, Chipotle, In and Out Burger, Qdoba, Moe's (it's Mexican with grassfed meat...soooo good) Panera from their "hidden" menu, traditional fast food I prefer Wendy's burgers without a bun, just order a triple patty because it costs less that way and you can get a side salad in place of fries with a meal. At Subway you can get any sandwich made into a salad.

Gas stations: A lot of them have hard boiled eggs and fruit now, of course they are a little more money, but worth it if you want to stay clean. Old Wisconsin beef sticks/bites are pretty clean aside from corn syrup solids. Their jerky is also pretty clean. Oberto jerky is cleanish too. Pork rinds with just salt and oil as ingredients. I suggest ordering jerky from clean companies ahead of time and taking it with you. Sometimes they don't have good options in the stores....unless you follow the above advice and stop at grocery stores for your snacks.