Best marathon training plan and why?

Hi! Just curious what plans have been successful for others. I'm currently training for my first marathon. I have completed three half marathons, (will have completed five before my full), and two 20-miler training runs (will complete at least 1-2 more before my full; one being a fully supported & timed running club run). I run 40+ mpw usually 5-7 days/week. I do resistance training and yoga as cross training. Thanks in advance for your experiences and suggestions. Oh, and my goal is just to finish, anything quicker than 6 hours will just be icing on the ????????

Replies

• KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    this is a pretty good survey: http://fellrnr.com/wiki/A_Comparison_of_Marathon_Training_Plans

imho, there is no right answer for this...
  • KeithAngilly
    I have not used it, but I also think the programs provided in the Brain Training for Runners book are really well thought out.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    I think you have to segregate newbie plans from experience runner plans (not in a bad way).

For a first timer without meaningful racing experience at all distances from 5K to marathon, something like Pftiz just doesn't really help. If you don't know your 5K pace, from your 10K pace and your half marathon pace, then you can't really benefit from all the workouts.

FWIW - I generally send new runners to Higdon (but suggest they get some extra 20s if possible)

More experience runners, I like Pfitzinger

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Marathoning-Edition-Peter-Pfitzinger/dp/0736074600

Like with all things, we each need to figure out what works best for us (we are each a study with a sample size of one).
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    I know that everyone is different for sure! I just wanted some suggestions to research in more depth, since there are only 12 billion results on google ???????? thank you! I will look into your suggestions. I am using a Higdon plan now.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Jeff Galloway's marathon training plan has worked very well for me. See JeffGalloway.com for details. He's also on Twitter, Facebook, etc. Otherwise, I've tried kind of an ad hoc "full throttle" marathon plan but that has caused burnout/injury. Jeff has two editions of a running book that I have read, plus a marathon training book that I still consider my "running" Bible, and a new trail running book.

Why Galloway? Run:walk works well for asthmatics like me and I tend to push too hard in training at times, resulting in injury. I haven't tried Higdon's method or others really. The walk breaks also allow your heart rate to drop a bit and give you a slight break. It allows me to run longer than I would be able to if I ran without walk breaks. It conserves energy.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Not sure if there is a best program, just a bunch of good ones that you can tailor to meet your needs. Hal HIgdon has some good ones.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    I like Hal Higdon because it is so easy to modify them to fit your needs.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Thanks everyone! ????
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    The best? Not to sound snarky, but...

One that is personally designed specifically for you by your coach that is intimately familiar with your training.

Everything else should just be used as a guideline or framework for you to use to build a training program that works for you.
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    I've used Hal Higdon's Novice plan several times in the past (but I'm by no means a speedy runner - my marathon PR to-date is a 4:06). I'm going to start training again this fall for a New Year's Eve marathon and I'm going to try a program I read about in Runner's World called "Run Less, Run Faster". Good luck!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    I'm going to try a program I read about in Runner's World called "Run Less, Run Faster". Good luck!

I wouldn't do that. It works best for older Runners that have already logged a lot of miles on their legs. You need that time on your feet to make sure that the tendons, ligaments and bone have the strength to get through the distance.
  • KeithAngilly
    I've used Hal Higdon's Novice plan several times in the past (but I'm by no means a speedy runner - my marathon PR to-date is a 4:06). I'm going to start training again this fall for a New Year's Eve marathon and I'm going to try a program I read about in Runner's World called "Run Less, Run Faster". Good luck!

I have had pretty good luck with that plan. If you can run a 4:06, then you can use the plan for sure. PM or friend me, if you like.

RLRF is not well received in forum land. It is what it is.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    this is a pretty good survey: http://fellrnr.com/wiki/A_Comparison_of_Marathon_Training_Plans

imho, there is no right answer for this...

Exactly what I was going to suggest!