Breaking out from too much fat?

Options
Kaitlyn811
Kaitlyn811 Posts: 49 Member
Did anyone else break out after starting a "keto/paleo" hybrid? Is it because of too much fat? I'm pretty much gluten free, wheat free. Maybe dairy? I try to follow the 80/20 rule too, but I'm breaking out pretty bad. Sick of it. Ha. My diary is open, I don't log all the time.

Help?

TIA :)

Replies

• Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I personally never break out. First 2-3 weeks were tough, but after that I never felt need to break from the LCHF diet. Why is it do you want to break out? Lack of choice of foods or cravings?
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I personally never break out. First 2-3 weeks were tough, but after that I never felt need to break from the LCHF diet. Why is it do you want to break out? Lack of choice of foods or cravings?

I think she means her skin is showing blemishes..that kind of a break out, not stopping the diet.

edited to add: No, no breakouts for me. I actually think my skin looks better.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks my skin was awful...I told my husband it was all the CRAP coming out of my body (probably was). Now, no matter how high fat I eat, my skin looks wonderful. I am prone to cystic acne so this was a blessing for me.

It very well could be something you're consistently eating though. Is there some things that you eat nearly every day?
  • kittyneutron
    kittyneutron Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My skin has actually cleared up dramatically. I've only been on it for 9 days, but about a month ago I started breaking out in these weird red bumps that looked awful and would not go away. My boyfriend has even noticed! He has excema which also cleared right up.

Do you usually have a problem with acne? What type of break out is it and where on your face is it? Chin/jawline tends to be hormonal. I do think it's very possible that your skin is purging. I'm a skincare enthusiast so I'd be happy to help if I can get some more info!
  • LittleMamaVas
    LittleMamaVas Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Chiming in late in case there are others looking through old posts. I'm one week into Keto and I am also breaking out. Not much help in answering the question of wether this will go away, but at least I know its related to the new way of eating. I sure hope it passess!!! based on a couple of the other responses, it sounds like it does.
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    @LittleMamaVas Check your dairy. Some of us have a hard time going keto without including massive amounts of dairy. Even if you are lactose tolerant you can break out from dairy.
    Just check if you added anything "suspicious" like shellfish.

Overall the consensus is that everyone's skin clears up with the high fat.

Good luck!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I haven't actually broken out, but for the first few weeks my skin was oily and felt yuck. I also got "keto rash" I was itchy all the time around my neck, legs, pretty much everywhere. I read somewhere it's an allergic reaction from the fat that is coming out of your pores until you become Keto Adapted. It does eventually settle down.
  • LittleMamaVas
    LittleMamaVas Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Update: I am one month into it now and I can happily say that the acne did go away after about a week. My skin is back to normal, but with less frequent breakouts.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've found that my break outs are almost down to zero on keto. after a 20 year battle, it's the first thing that's worked consistently.
  • mnsesq
    mnsesq Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Day 10 for me with blood ketones in 3+ range and I have two impressive zits around my mouth! I'd love to hear from more people on the length of time it took for their breakouts to pass or what they changed for improvement.
  • SarasKeto4Life
    SarasKeto4Life Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am 30-something days in Keto and am finding myself with more breakouts. But a week before I started on Keto, I had my Mirena removed, also stopped breastfeeding, and started using Witch Hazel has my primary face astringent. I really don't know if it's just too many changes, but I'm keeping my eye out for when these chin and forehead bumps subside.