First Ultra Marathon

Options
3 days until my first Ultra Marathon...

Any last minute advice?

It's a 32 mile trail run in Moab, Utah consisting of 6, 5.37 mile laps. I know, most people think the whole "lap" thing sounds terrible. But it is actually one of the reasons I chose this race. This way I can easily access all my gear/fuel etc. every 5 miles, and I shouldn't have to worry about getting lost. Plus the added mental benefit of thinking about it as only "6 laps' rather than "32 miles".

So anyways, still feeling pretty nervous. I've done several 20 mile trail runs, and a marathon back in January. I wanted to do a 25 mile trail run, but it didn't work out, but I did do 2 back-to-back long runs 3 weeks ago of 16 and 20 miles. I already know I'm not going to be fast. It's not about fast to me, it's about finishing.

Replies

• TheRunnerDad
    TheRunnerDad Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Don't have an advice except to say have fun!!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    You are ready! That's more than most people do for a 50K race. Sounds like you have a great plan. Now just get out there and have fun. And as my ultra-running buddy Jeff McGonnell (who has run over 100 ultras) likes to say, "Start slowly, then ease off a bit."
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have no advice! Just want to say good luck and I can't wait to hear all about it!!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have volunteered at a couple of loop courses like that, the biggest problem I saw people running into was the ability to give yourself "permission" to stop after x number of loops. The mental toughness to get out there and do all the loops required is for many the hardest part.

Good luck.
  • Sirrunsalot75
    Sirrunsalot75 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Just pace yourself well. Those last few miles will be even harder if you let the excitement get to you and go out too fast. Hydrate well and make sure to replenish your calories regularly based on what you did in training. My favorite aid station snack is potato chips.

Good Luck
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I got nothing. Except...good luck.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I agree with pretty much everyone else...you're ready. Looks like you have done enough training. Just have fun.
  • mish26
    mish26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Just pace yourself well. Those last few miles will be even harder if you let the excitement get to you and go out too fast. Hydrate well and make sure to replenish your calories regularly based on what you did in training. My favorite aid station snack is potato chips.

Good Luck

Agree with all of this. Also, don't stop moving. Even if you're going slow, just keep going. Don't give yourself permission to just stop and rest a little while. That can turn into a long while very easily. Try to get in and out of the aid station(s) as fast as possible. That can kill soooo much time.