What does Hyperthyroid feel like?

Options
krennie8
krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
I have Hashi's hypothyroidism and I think I may be going hyper due to meds that are too high. I went to the doctor yesterday and I swear she thinks I'm a hypochondriac, but I have been having major hot flashes/heat intolerance the past month. Mainly since I started dieting at the end of January. My dosing had been increased in December due to going extreme hypo.

They don't happen in the mornings usually, but start around noon and go on till late in the evening. I'm 27, so I don't think it's menopause. At first I thought it was diet related b/c I seemed to have nausea with it, so I'd eat something. The nausea went away but I still have these hot flashes every single day.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Buckets of sweat pouring off my head, no hunger (& accompanying weight loss), anxiety, palpitations, breathlessness climbing stairs…
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Buckets of sweat pouring off my head, no hunger (& accompanying weight loss), anxiety, palpitations, breathlessness climbing stairs…

Hmm, thanks! Can't say most of the rest fit, though I have lost weight (but I'm dieting) and I already have an anxiety issue so guess I'll have to wait and see.
  • chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was experiencing heavy sweating at night while I slept, hand and internal tremors, very high heartrate, muscle atrophy (think: can't walk up a flight of stairs without being in pain and out of breath), migraines, always hungry/eating (like 3000 calories a day, but still losing weight), and others...

It's easy to tell - get bloodwork done. Your doctor should have done that. If not, you should have requested/demanded it.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the hand tremor!
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Hot flashes, hand tremors, rapid heartrate, arrhythmia, weight loss. I was actually on heart meds for 6 months until we final got my meds right. Now the meds make it hard to lose weight.

My SO is hypothyroid. Together we're a hot mess!
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    what the others said --
    anxious and jittery
    rapid heart rate (scarily so during exercise)
    couldn't sit still

and maybe it was just me, but --
    VERY irritable
  • tigermountain
    Options
    Agreed with the others. It basically feels like hell.

No sleep, anxiety, extremely hot all the time, have to go number 2 all the time (sorry if that's TMI!), extremely irritable (like, it almost destroyed my marriage before I knew what was happening to me), super fast heart rate (my resting heart rate was 100-110bpm), I couldn't open water bottles or walk up stairs very easily due to muscle atrophy.

It was the worst. :(
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the not sleeping!
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    forgot about the irritable and the no sleeping. that's when I know my meds need to be changed. been up since 4am. guess it's time to call my endo!
  • KatJ_NZ
    KatJ_NZ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others. I was irritable, hot (at all times), jittery, unable to concentrate, and struggled to sleep due to a resting heart rate of about 110bpm - felt like I was jogging in my sleep. Basically, it was unpleasant! I sympathise with anyone else dealing with this :flowerforyou: