...get my husband to understand that I wont turn into hulk

Options
So this is my 3rd week lifting, sent hubby a pic and he says "stop ur muscle building", i told him womens bodies are different, i won't bulk up, i'm not gonna turn into hulk lol. He's all worried, but i told him to research it (plus he's pretty new to lifting too, 6 weeks). Have any of you had the same reaction? Plus how can I show him how awesome lifting is for women? I guess with my results :)

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    1. do you take steroids or performance enhancing drugs?
    2. do you have the testosterone levels of a man?
    3. are you devoting every waking hour for =years= to achieving the 'hulk' look with hours in the gym and an incredibly controlled diet?

if the answer to those questions is 'no' then you won't turn into the hulk.

have a look at some bodybuilding women's blogs etc - you will see the amount of dedication they put in to achieving their look (and while drugs are widespread they are not ubiquitous).

you have to spend a long long long time doing this and be at a ridiculously low body fat % (for the muscles to show through).

I've been lifting a year and you wouldn't know it to look at me. my husband does zero lifting and can pin me down to tickle me without even thinking about it. the hormones in our bodies are not conducive to being the hulk...
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    strength of the hulk yes but body of a fine *kitten* fit lady :love:
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    My family is actually getting worried because I'm "building traps" and "losing too much weight" (while I still stand around 35% body fat and honestly haven't gotten any "bigger" in the past couple months. At all.) So I know how you feel. I think a part of it is in their heads.

Somehow I think people feel bad about not looking good at the moment and they fear you changing means they have to change too. At the end of the day though, you gotta do what makes you happy, even if they seem to think you'll get bulky - you won't. Maybe they won't like the changes in your body anyway (some people are just like that, what can I say?), but if YOU do, then remember that first and foremost you're doing it for YOU.

But really, the biggest side effect you should be expecting from lifting is more confidence. And that makes a lady sexy. So maybe you could use that to convince him everythings fine! ;)
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I was gonna link to the thread hwillmott linked to. If he's a visual sort of guy, that should do it! :smile:

My hubby was a little weird about me lifting, when I first started. He never really said anything, just kept trying to show me things on the machines. I sent him an email explaining StrongLifts to him, why I wanted to do it and telling him all the benefits for women, with links to articles included. That, along with him seeing I was serious about lifting, seemed to do the trick.

Last night, he told me he was looking at pictures from our cruise last October, and he could tell how much weight I'd lost since then. I had news for him - I haven't lost any weight, just lots of inches. My hard work is obviously paying off!
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Explain to him how much more stamina & energy you will have in the bedroom! :laugh: That should do it!
  • Jady777
    Jady777 Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks ladies! For the info and knowing that I'm not the only one. My mom stayed over my house yesterday and I did my lifting this morning, she was all worried I was going to look like a "manly women" lol. I'll show him the pics in the link and tell him some more info on lifting for women, hopefully he'll stop worrying about it and encourages me more (he has giving me compliments though on how my booty looks more lifted lol).
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    My husband thougt the same thing. Just give it time. After a couple of months he'll see you're not turning into the incredible hulk and will actually enjoy the changes to your bod. :)
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    My husband was the same but he saw that I wasn't stopping so he has kind of put a lid on it. though now when i try to get him into lifting he says he'll lift for strength but he doesn't want big muscles :huh: I honestly didn't know what to say at first. a girl saying this I know how to approach... my husband?.. all I could think to say was "it takes years and a lot of dedication to build huge muscles hunny, how about you lift until you start to fill like your getting too big?"

I'd love it if he had big muscles hopefully he'll change his mind.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    <<
    totally bulky :wink: :laugh: (but excuse the dodgy hair lol)

My husband was a little worried to begin with, but now he's more than totally ok with it. He bought me a door frame pullup bar and counts reps for me :flowerforyou:
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    My husband started to be uneasy even when I was doing p90x 2 yrs ago, and seen me doing push up by the dozens. I do not think he was/ is worries about me turning into hulk. He is more concerned about his role in our life as the strong parent. Althgough he is skinny fat nerdy guy who has no intention to ever do any lifting, he likes to be the " strong daddy" for the kids. The can lift up both kids at the same time and the kids love it and giggle so much when he does that. The other day I picked up both kids the way he does, and he was shocked that I can do that and he didn't like it at all.
    I decided to avoid such actions when he is around. I even make him open jars and stuff like that. Or when we go out as a family , I let him carry the heavy stuff like the bags or our 25lb toddler. It makes him feel strong and important, so why not.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My husband helped me get all my weights, squat rack and bench at various garage sales. Then he finished a room in our basement for me to lift weights. He has always been supportive of my journey.