Crossfit and IF

Options
AllanMisner
AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
I'm curious if anyone in this group is also doing Intermittent Fasting. I'm do my CF WODs at 5am MWF. My IF is eating in a window from 12 - 7pm.

My reason for all this is to cut fat and maintain muscle mass. I'd like to drop 8 - 10lbs of fat by mid-May.

Thoughts?

Replies

• ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    You need fuel to perform. If you think you can do enough at the gym while following this eating program then go for it. But if you're dragging *kitten* at the gym with no energy because you're not eating then what's the point??
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    You need fuel to perform. If you think you can do enough at the gym while following this eating program then go for it. But if you're dragging *kitten* at the gym with no energy because you're not eating then what's the point??

I completely agree with you. I will be looking to see how I progress and if I don't see myself getting better, I'll re-evaluate.
  • NCSteveVH
    NCSteveVH Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if anyone in this group is also doing Intermittent Fasting. I'm do my CF WODs at 5am MWF. My IF is eating in a window from 12 - 7pm.

My reason for all this is to cut fat and maintain muscle mass. I'd like to drop 8 - 10lbs of fat by mid-May.

Thoughts?

I also do my CF class/WOD at 5:30 am during the week and I followed a 16:8 IF protocol until I reached my goal weight and BF%. Not saying I recommend this for everyone, but for me, I would either have some coffee and/or a pre-workout powder before my CF class. Both together were under 50 cals so it didn't mess with my IF. Whether this was just a placebo effect or not, it seemed to get me through my WODs feeling energized while keeping with my IF protocol.

Good luck with your fat loss goal!
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used to work out first thing in the morning and I NEVER ate before my WOD. I have done IF and am currently following a ketogenic diet. Sometimes I do IF, sometimes I don't.

I had my fat tested in a bodpod back in May and then again in August. At that time I was doing a lot of IF and quite frankly, experimenting with a few different ways of dieting. Most of them include watching my carbs in some form and keeping my healthy fats high. My bodpod results were great! I gained 4#s on the scale, but I dropped 5% of fat, lost 6.5# of fat and gained 10.5# of muscle.

Some of the things that I have found that help are using Coconut Oil or MCT oil in my evening protein drinks and I take BCAAs before and after my workouts.

I should also say that I lift heavy and it hasn't seemed to affect my progress at all.

I don't believe in 'starvation mode' or a lot of that old school 'dieting thoughts,' but that's jmo. I read a lot on Leangains, CarbNight, Carb Backloading, and there is a good forum on keto on bodybuilding.com. I am also trying to lose 10# of fat by May...Girls weekend in Cabo :)

Good luck and keep us posted on how it's going!
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thinking about starting this. I workout MWF 6am and some running on Saturday. I'm thinking I'm going to do BCAAs before and after my workouts and then eat from 11am-7pm.