Marathon training and calf tightness

Options
KristiRTT
KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
Hello all, I just finished week 5 of an 18 week marathon training plan with a long run of 12 miles. I have been spending most of my time on the treadmill because the snow and ice has been dangerous outside, but took this long run outside and did some intense hills. My calves yesterday felt very tight for the first 2 or 3 miles, as I continued to run they seemed to relax and I was able to finish my run with no discomfort. Obviously a few hours later my legs were tired from this run, but I put on my compression sleeves and put my legs up for the rest of the day. I will be doing some yoga and weights as my cross training today and then Monday is a scheduled rest day.

My question is, is this tightness normal, or does it sound like I need to stretch more? I know I am hydrating enough all week, but maybe I need more electrolytes during my run? So far I have no increased my weekly mileage beyond where my pre-training base has been. I could just be overthinking everything, next week is a cutback week in the training program, so maybe I just need a little more rest. But any insight is appreciated!

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a foam roller. It saved my calves from the tightness.
  • KristiRTT
    Options
    I was thinking about getting one, but Ive never tried it! But I think it might be time!
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Those is an old adage that says "running a marathon is easy if you can survive the training." I second the foam roll, especially for your IT bands. A foam roll is, in my experience, "OK" for the calves, but you can do some different things. Take a look at this routine http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/feet-first-put-best-foot-forward which will hit your feet and Achilles, and subsequently your calves
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    My question is, is this tightness normal, or does it sound like I need to stretch more?
    Research over the last few years has moved runners (and others, perhaps) away from static stretching as it's been seen to cause damage to muscles and reduces power output.
    I have read comments from well-experienced posters that they stretch after running but what I've read over the past few years has convinced me that there's little value.
    I know I am hydrating enough all week, but maybe I need more electrolytes during my run?
    In a word, no.

MFP'rs love to drink water and GatorAide loves to get folks to pony up at the supermarket but our species is well suited to lose many pounds of water (with concomitant loss of electrolytes) before we need water, much less additional electrolytes.

I'm not arguing that we shouldn't cary water when running under demanding conditions but, unless you're doing lots and lots of miles in high temps, our body does fine with a water deficit. Multiple studies show that the folks who lose the most water during a marathon, for example, are those who have consistently lost the most water, for example.

My profile picture shows me running (a Half) with a water backpack and, under some conditions, I still run with water. In my training runs, which only last up to about 2 hours, I've found that drink no more that 24 ounces, even as temps hit the 80º mark.

[/quote]
    So far I have no[t] increased my weekly mileage beyond where my pre-training base has been. I could just be overthinking everything, next week is a cutback week in the training program, so maybe I just need a little more rest. But any insight is appreciated!
    [/quote]
    If your calves are "tight" that's an indication that you're putting a lot of stress on them and that they are recovering (that's how we get stronger). A lot of people use a foam roller and research indicates that, similar to massage, a foam roller can speed recovery.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I use a knobby foam roller, household rolling pin, and a dense foam ball. Between those three, I have no more calf tightness. At a minimum, try a rolling pin. I either do it myself or if I'm lucky, my son will roll them when I lay down - I challenge him to do it as hard as he can haha :)
  • legallyblonde916
    legallyblonde916 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm Queen Tight Calves.

Foam Rollers are okay, but what you really need is a Trigger Point Starter Kit, or if you're not able to be that spendy, a tennis ball and a yoga block.

One of the best investments I've ever made: http://www.tptherapy.com/Starter-Set_2.html

Here's a set of videos from my local Fleet Feet with instructional videos on how to use it (first three videos - you can sub in a ball and block): http://www.fleetfeetsacramento.com/videos/trigger-point-therapy

Also, make sure you're properly hydrated, and pre-salt if you're a salty sweater.
  • KristiRTT
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions, I finished week 6
    of our training plan this morning and my legs felt amazing! I took an extra day off this week, due to a schedule conflict and that seemed to help a lot. I haven't gotten a foam roller yet, I think I am just going to use my rolling pin for now. But I'm just happy to run like normal again. This week coming up is a serious increase in mileage from this last step down week, but I am feeling good about it! Next Saturday will be 14 miles which will be the farthest I have ever ran since I have only done 13.1 up to this point!
  • tfonz10
    tfonz10 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Google "The Stick," it will change your life!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of stretching postworkout and use my foam roller after any hilly or long run.

But I also have started taking a yoga class. I have found (YMMV) that I feel much better after my hot yoga class. I do my long runs on Sundays and a hot yoga class on Mondays. I had a nagging PF like pain in my foot that has gotten much better thanks to to the yoga. I am still probably the least flexible person in the class (curse you tight hamstrings!!) but it is making a difference!
  • Colorado_Joni
    Colorado_Joni Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had the same probably early on during my marathon training, and my foam roller saved the day!
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I am going through calf tightness right now. I have been running for two years and never had to stretch at all.

Once my mileage got up to 35 - 40 mpw, my calves started to get progressively tighter.

This week I started stretching before (lightly) and after (pretty heavily) my runs, as well as doing calf exercises, foam rolling my calves at least 2 - 3 days a week and wearing calf sleeves for any run of 5K or more.

So far I can feel things starting to loosen up... not back to normal yet, but getting better.

I've dropped my training mileage back to the 20 - 25 mpw for now. My marathon isn't until november, so this is just base building. The lower mileage now won't really hurt, but aggravating a calf/achilles injury into a bout of PF WOULD significantly set me back.