cheat day or not?? help..

Options
pennyp00
pennyp00 Posts: 8 Member
I started the lower carb lifestyle on Monday along with going back on my metphormin. The first three days were really hard with headached and tummy troubles. I drank about two cokes a day and that has been hard. Today I found la croix flavored waters and that satisfied my soda need for a bit. But im still having some strong cravings. The last time I lost weight I had a cheat day usually saturday. The problem was that the cheat day became a cheat weekend because I had to finish eating up all the stuff id wanted all week. I've lost quite a bit so far this week but have 70 or so to go. Should I just skip the cheat days for now? I'm having cravings but have fought them off. How do cheat days really work for people with pcos?

Replies

• photo_ford
    Options
    Maybe, don't think of it as a cheat day. Work your craving into your calorie count. If you skip cheat days, you are going to have a hard time controlling the cravings. Everyone deserves a break, even women with PCOS! Just moderate yourself, and don't over do it.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't have cheat days......I do work certain things into my calorie count if I want them....and if it is a high carb item I do extra cardio to help as well
  • pennyp00
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! It's only 2 things I really want and i will work one of them into my plan. They are higher carb and I think I can stay within my carb limits if I'm very diligent about the rest of what I eat today. I do feel great after 5 days of lower carb eating. I feel lighter inside.
  • mtucker823
    mtucker823 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking, what are your carb goals? I am trying to eating low carbs and usually have about 120 a day. I am on metformin and it seems to be working ( this is my first week, I have lost 5 pounds ), but I was wondering if I needed to go lower.
  • pennyp00
    Options
    I am trying to stay under 100 a day. Ive been around 60 everyday with the bulk coming from fruit. I try to eat my fruit early or close to my cardio. I just finished my first week and its working. I am on 1000mg of metformin and that helps me too. I actually lost about 12 this week but I never changed my starting weight but im more motivated to keep going.
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist and I had a long chat about this and she said that giving myself a cheat day was the worst possible thing I could do for myself. I was undoing everything that I had done for my body and confusing my hormones/insulin levels by spiking my blood sugar.

To address your cravings issue: She suggested I start on a meal replacement for breakfast because it tricks me into thinking I am having a milkshake (since I love ice cream/anything sweet and creamy) so I have been drinking Shakeology every morning (as long as I keep total carbs under 30) I can add whatever I like into my shakes. I have made apple pie ones, pumpkin pie, key lime pie, chocolate peanut butter, chocolate and cherries,....everything I have tried is delicious. And since there are so many vitamins and superfoods in Shakeology it fills in the holes in your diet that cause cravings. I never crave anything anymore. Its actually amazing....I have drinking it for a month and I have no cravings, no need for caffeine, increased energy and I have lost 12 lbs. Its a PCOS miracle...lol.

So anyway....feel free to message me if you want more info about it. I became a coach since I love it so much and wanted the discount (i can help you get that discount to if its something you might be interested in) Otherwise, I would say skip the cheat days and definitely cut out the soda asap.