Your 2014 Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanibug7426
    shanibug7426 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My biggest goal for this year is to ride the STP (Seattle to Portland) in 1 day. This is my third year riding in this event, however, the last two years I road it as a 2 day ride. I'm very excited to meet this goal and to see what other biking challenges I can give myself. I'm contemplating the Ride Around Puget Sound, RSVP and/or RHAPSODY ridges but haven't decided on those yet. Some smaller rides I'll participate in for sure are Flying Wheels, Seattle Bike 'n Brews and Chilly Hilly.

Looking forward to hearing about everyone else's goals!
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    My cycling goal for 2014 is to complete the "Gong" charity ride in October.
    It is in support of MS and goes from Sydney to Wollongong (South of Sydney). The short course is 58km, whilst the long course is 90km.
    I am new to distance cycling and "new" to cycling as well ( I couldnt ride for 7years AT ALL!) so I am aiming low - to finish the short course :)
  • composite
    composite Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This was my list at the start of the year. These are all mountain bike routes/events/races.

There ‘n’ Back (DONE)
    Cannock Chase Winter Classic
    Two Ton ‘O Gravel (200 miles)
    Erlestoke Twelve (12 hour)
    Insomnia (12 hour)
    Manx 100 (100 miles)
    TORQ in your SLEEP (12 hour)
    Isle of Man End-to-End
    Dusk till dawn (12 hour)
    Hell of the West
    BareBones200 (200km)

Lakeland200 (200miles)
    South Downs Way (maybe the double) (100/200 miles)
    Trans Cambrian Way (maybe double) (100/200 miles)
    Welsh C2C (**** load of miles. :p )
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    As a rank amateur, beginner biker, my goals are
    Ride the indoor bike thru the winter
    at least 4 25 mile rides in the spring and 1 50 or metric century mile by end of season.
    Plan was work on form, strength and technique, then speed.

But then best laid plans..... Will have to see what 5 weeks of radiation treatment for breast cancer does to training. Hopefully won't pooch it too much! Oncologist and I are in " negotiations"... anybody have experience with this and riding?

so maybe goals are just get back on the bike and put some miles on the tires! I got a cat eye bike computer for Christmas and craving to give it a spin.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    .... Will have to see what 5 weeks of radiation treatment for breast cancer does to training. Hopefully won't pooch it too much! Oncologist and I are in " negotiations"... anybody have experience with this and riding?

so maybe goals are just get back on the bike and put some miles on the tires! I got a cat eye bike computer for Christmas and craving to give it a spin.

No experience to impart, other than follow the medico's advice - and of course to wish you all the best with the treatment and ensuing recovery. :smile:
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi okcat4, Good on you for staying with your fitness journey through cancer treatment. Yes, many of my patients have had cancer, and they have taken many different approaches to fitness and wellness.

I honestly think Chris Kesser says it well when he says no matter what you do food wise, if you don;t get enough sleep , or you are stressed, you will promote weight gain and reduce immune function.

Exercise that doesn;t raise your heart rate too high or impact negatively of wounds is good for you .. as long as you get plenty of sleep and your stress levels are low. Exercise in itself can lower stress and increase happy homrones which improve overall health and healing.

Go gently.. never overdo it because of the negative impact on your immune system - which you want working at its best for you - Good luck
  • budkid
    budkid Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Main goal for the year is a century(100 mile) ride every month and ride at least 5000 miles for the year.

Good luck to everyone and their 2014 goals!!!!
  • JediCounsil
    JediCounsil Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My goals for the past two years has been to complete two centuries each summer, usually in august. 2013 I did the more flat century at 16mph and the hillier on at around 13mph avg.

Goals:
    Lose 40 lbs
    increase average speed to 17-18mph over 100 miles
    Try to be better on the hills (increase speed on hills)

Optional goal (I have not worked out the logistics yet):
    Do a cross-country ride, possibly ride across PA and attend my HS reunion.
  • Fredhatfield2
    Fredhatfield2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'd like to do an organized ride in the future, but this year I definitely want to do a century ride: organized or on my own.
  • cyclistphil
    cyclistphil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My goals for the year are to win the state points championship for the road series. Its my last year before I move to the over 35 category. Also starting to get into some mountain biking and hoping to draw for Leadville. also probably a few 12 and 24 hour MTB races. Hopefully the season pans out like I plan.
  • okcat4
    Options
    thanks all. Motivation is hard, very distracted by chocolate and carbs ! LOL! But gradually getting back ion it. You are so motivating!
  • okcat4
    Options
    many thanks. are you related to my onc dr? She says the same thing! HA! I do feel better, sleep better, eat better when I get riding ( indoor or out). Just gotta get back to regular, even just 30 minutes or a block or two at a time.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My goals for the year are to win the state points championship for the road series. Its my last year before I move to the over 35 category. Also starting to get into some mountain biking and hoping to draw for Leadville. also probably a few 12 and 24 hour MTB races. Hopefully the season pans out like I plan.

The trick for getting into Leadville is to volunteer at some of the events the year before, a good 2 days worth of work, that's how my husband got in twice. Or there are a lot of qualifiers these days.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    Apparently my goal for 2014 is to do my first MTB race. Just decided this yesterday. I'd also like to commute to work occasionally and just get better in general.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,199 Member
    Options
    Busyrae - Good for you! Have you picked one yet?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    Busyrae - Good for you! Have you picked one yet?

Yeah. It's at the park that's right by my house that I've ridden probably 50 times. That's why I'm doing it. I'm very familiar with the terrain, I know where the passing areas are, can easily do the climbs, there's pretty much no technical so I'll be good. And there's 20 miles option, which is why better than the 50 to 100s my husband usually does.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    ]

Yeah. It's at the park that's right by my house that I've ridden probably 50 times. That's why I'm doing it. I'm very familiar with the terrain, I know where the passing areas are, can easily do the climbs, there's pretty much no technical so I'll be good. And there's 20 miles option, which is why better than the 50 to 100s my husband usually does.

Holy smokes! 100 miles on a mountain bike? Tell your husband he is an ANIMAL!!! Like the Muppet Animal! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I thought I was doing good to get 40 on a mountain bike. That pretty well toasted my legs and I can do 100 on my road bike. I applaud you for even the 20 mile option. That is not an easy task. When is the race?
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Challenge to myself is to get through all the surgeries this year so I can possibly ride my bike in 2015. My original goal was to try to ride this year but too much pain and swelling in right foot from last year's surgeries prevents me from doing so.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Wow, that foot in your profile pic looks painful. Hope that heals quicker than expected. :smile:
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Wow, that foot in your profile pic looks painful. Hope that heals quicker than expected. :smile:

^Thanks :)

Currently at 8 months and healing is now at a snail's pace. Pain every day whenever I place weight on the foot but I still manage to keep moving and stay in shape. I really do miss my bike especially with spring in the air.