New to primal - advice please

Options
Hi

I am starting primal and looking for friends and also what peoples daily menus are like?

What do you eat on a daily basis? Also will be aiming for 1600 cals is this enough or better to aim for more - will keep carbs under 50 as I have 80lbs to lose

Thanks

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    If you have 80 pounds to lose it is possible that you need more calories than that. I made the mistake of starting out at 1600 with 90 pounds to lose and yes I lost well for awhile but now I am REALLY struggling because all that long term under-eating made my body more efficient and resist burning fat. Granted, 164 is better than 241, but I was hoping to lose another 10 pounds before I was finished.

Regardless, I LOVE this lifestyle and the health problems I have resolved are many (look under "Success Stories").

I am ketogenic Primal/Paleo (I eat a bit of dairy but I don't think it's "healthy") so you might find my macros and diet in-line with what you are doing. Of course, I am not perfect. Last year I raised my carbs to 10%, persisted with it despite continual struggles, and am now trying hard to get back on track with 5% carbs.

PS: I hope your MFP name doesn't sum up your overall mentality. Primal/Paleo must be about health, not being "thin", or it's a fail. imo.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Welcome, feel free to add me as a friend if you need more.
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am starting primal and looking for friends and also what peoples daily menus are like?

What do you eat on a daily basis? Also will be aiming for 1600 cals is this enough or better to aim for more - will keep carbs under 50 as I have 80lbs to lose

Thanks

I do hope that you stick with Paleo as it's more of a change in lifestyle than a "diet." Despite how much it is criticized, it works for people hoping to make healthier choices in their meal planning. You'll lose weight especially with keeping carbs low but I suggest aiming for 1800 calories. Do you plan to exercise as well?
  • gottobethin2014
    Options
    Yes I exercise about 5 times a week and I always net 1200
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am pretty new to Paleo as well, and I also would love to make friends with people who have long been at it so I could get a glimpse of their diaries. (So to anyone who doesn't mind teaching a newbie, I'd love if you reach out and add me.)

I would say to the OP that I think your calories sound kind of low to me. I am 5'9. Right now I'm a little under 170, and I'd like to get to 150. It says for me to lose a pound a week, I should eat 1900. But I notice the past few weeks when I eat between 2200-2500 I am still losing weight. (That is with no cardio besides a lot of walking around and chasing my toddler.) I know there is a debate about whether or not "a calorie is a calorie," but I think when you eat super clean, you can eat a bit more.

Feel free to look at my diary. (But please ignore yesterday. I was very ill, and needed a tried and true nassau killer=saltines.). I think it's a good starting point, but by no means do I think it's model Paleo!

Good luck! :-)
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a huge advocate of the primal lifestyle. currently I follow 80/20 primal/WAPF (ancestral or traditional foods) but more and more I am eating solely primal, I just feel better that way! My diary is open and I am always looking for more supportive (read: active) friends!

I think you will find great success with a primal lifestyle but you absolutely have to stick with it because it can be hard in the beginning. I do agree that you may want to look at eating more calories than 1600 but, ease into this and experiment with what works for you. I am absolutely open to answering any questions or pointing you in a direction to get answers if I can't help :)
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Add me!
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I've yoyo'd from low cal to Paleo and I always come back to Paleo because it works best for my body and mind. I agree with sticking with it because I've screwed up my system by going back and forth. I'm still struggling with upping my cals because I've been brainwashed about cals in and cals out. You'll find great support here, and welcome to the group!
  • newtro925
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am new to the primal life style and any advice, suggestions and ideas can help.