Flaxseed Meal - keto friendly ?

Options
Recently I've been eating SOOO much flaxseed meal (mixed with almond milk and equal)

Is it too good to be true that it's zero carbs !? And if so, can I eat as much as I have, given I stay within my calorie limits each day ? I have a crazy sweet tooth and this is the only thing I've found that satisfies it

Replies

• strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I eat it all the time. It's never knocked me out of ketosis...matter of fact, it's helped me break stalls. Very high fiber and versatile :)
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    It's not zero carb, but 4/5 of its carbs are in the form of fiber. Be sure to drink plenty of water, though, at the same meal as you eat flaxseed meal, or you could get constipated.
  • blablues
    blablues Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's not zero net carbs, but it is very low because it's very high in fiber. I use flax seed meal for pizza crust and crackers and I love it. :)
  • djthom2
    djthom2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Recently I've been eating SOOO much flaxseed meal (mixed with almond milk and equal)

Is it too good to be true that it's zero carbs !? And if so, can I eat as much as I have, given I stay within my calorie limits each day ? I have a crazy sweet tooth and this is the only thing I've found that satisfies it

Sounds interesting, what do you make with it?
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I use flaxseed meal to make my "protein bread" which is a variation on the 'oopsie rolls' or similar. 1 ounce of cream cheese/ 1 egg/1 tbsp flaxseed meal & a bit of salt, blended & cooked in a muffin top pan (makes 2) Great for sandwiches or burgers or even the occasional PB sandwich :)
  • djthom2
    djthom2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I use flaxseed meal to make my "protein bread" which is a variation on the 'oopsie rolls' or similar. 1 ounce of cream cheese/ 1 egg/1 tbsp flaxseed meal & a bit of salt, blended & cooked in a muffin top pan (makes 2) Great for sandwiches or burgers or even the occasional PB sandwich :)

Thanks, I'll have to try that :)
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I use it to make muffins, flax "bread" and flax porridge. It's one of those little keto secrets we should all know about.
  • Mele1973
    Mele1973 Posts: 27
    Options

Sorta' seems like nobody has directly addressed your specific questions, and not that I'm an expert, but I'll give it a go.

People have mentioned it is not zero carb, so you will have to make some slight adjustments in your diary if you're eating tons of it. But, yes, I think that being said you *can* eat as much as you like if you're staying within your macro and caloric goals.

Personally, my GI tract can't take it for some reason. I end up doubled over in severe pain when I eat any flax-anything. Sadly. :(

I have a crazy sweet tooth, too - so are you just adding the almond milk to make it into a pudding-type consistency, or is it more like a drink? It's great you can handle all that fiber so well! Kudos to you!
  • ninanew
    ninanew Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a question for those who use flaxseed meal: Do you find you prefer "Golden" flaxseed meal over "Regular" aka "Brown" flaxseed meal? Is there any discernible difference in flavor or texture or any other quality between the two?

• FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I sometimes add it to BPC (1 tbsp) and it makes it like a thickened, hot cereal drink.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have a question for those who use flaxseed meal: Do you find you prefer "Golden" flaxseed meal over "Regular" aka "Brown" flaxseed meal? Is there any discernible difference in flavor or texture or any other quality between the two?

I have tried both, and the taste difference isn't enough to justify my spending more on the golden flaxseed. Not to mention that I can find the regular locally.
  • whoknowsame
    Options

Sorta' seems like nobody has directly addressed your specific questions, and not that I'm an expert, but I'll give it a go.

People have mentioned it is not zero carb, so you will have to make some slight adjustments in your diary if you're eating tons of it. But, yes, I think that being said you *can* eat as much as you like if you're staying within your macro and caloric goals.

Personally, my GI tract can't take it for some reason. I end up doubled over in severe pain when I eat any flax-anything. Sadly. :(

I have a crazy sweet tooth, too - so are you just adding the almond milk to make it into a pudding-type consistency, or is it more like a drink? It's great you can handle all that fiber so well! Kudos to you!

Thank you !!!
  • tamio9
    tamio9 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I tried Flax meal for the 1st time the other night and go soooo sick to my stomach the next day I could barley walk.. is that normal for the 1st time??
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I haven't had an issue with it, in fact its helped me keep things "moving" which I have issue with eating low carb.
  • tamio9
    tamio9 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It defiantly got things moving, which was a issue I was also dealing with, but I didn't need things to move quite that much... and the craps were horrible. I also maybe thought it was the sausage I used, I have had issues with that kind of sausage before but nothing like that.
    Thanks for replying...

Have a great day!