3-23-14

Options
FocusKimFocus
FocusKimFocus Posts: 124 Member
Happy Sunday. I'm back! Week 6, Day 2 done.

OK - so its only been 3-4 days, but feels like a very long time. I finally got around to running at 7pm Sat night - almost didn't happen - just a busy few days. I'm hoping to do Week 6, Day 3 today.

Maree - sounds like we have the same app, though I am a few days behind you.

Great job everyone! I can't believe how many of us are closing in on the end of the app. Does anyone have plans to do an actual 5k or a virtual one soon?

Replies

• maree142
    maree142 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi Kim
    Yep, I am getting a bit obsessive about working on the app, and also staying on the treadmill at least until 4km at the same time. I think at the end of week 7 I will try and ensure that I do 5k each time. That is, I will walk until the app ends, and then keep walking until I have done either the 4 k, but I will do it till 5k.
    I have been thinking of doing a parkrun end of April. They are all 5ks, I think. What about you Kim?
  • aprilh47
    aprilh47 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    my 5ks booked for 1st june. race for life.
    starting on week 5, next.
    day 3 0f week 4 completed today. had to guess my calories my app has stopped working.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday my fellow runners :drinker:

Well to answer the run vs virtual run question....No, no plans here to at this point to run one at this time.

Dunno bout you guys but I've been running solo and running outside (I have read that those running indoors on the treadmill might have an adjustment when running outdoors), so if you guys are planning a real/virtual run, and you run inside now, do plan on some extra practice time before the big event.

Well today was Week 8 Day 3, my last official day using the Zen Labs C25K Free app...the next button on the app is the "Run". Which yes, I do plan on doing.

Today ended just as it began, with the free app NOT posting the run to MFP :sad: Glad I don't count on the calories burned to eat back, sigh. I was way passed annoyed. The stupid ad is right where you would post to MFP and it's not the first time it's done that to me, just majorly peeved it was today.

The last run was 30 minutes. It got better as I moseyed along, in the beginning I was oddly winded. Guessing as time went on, the hypoxia from lack of air (lol) got to my brain and I started breathing on autopilot or something.

A few tips....Tic Tacs or Lifesavers for when all you mouthbreathers get dry mouth.,,, Wear comfy tidy whities that do NOT ride up to give you wedgies along your run. Bring cold water (I leave mine in the car so i'm not running with it since I can't run & drink, am just not good at multi tasking...lucky I am able to run & breathe!!)....Do not drink a lot of liquids before you run, your kidneys will thank you (unless there are porta potties along the route & you actually do stop on your runs)...Note the time you start and try to find things along the route to keep from you looking at the time, watching the time makes the time seem like it's going backwards, lol. If you are winded, run slower, even slower than slow. I wish I had a running buddy as they say you should be able to carry on a conversation and I felt stupid enough as is just trying to run, let alone converse with myself as I was running, lol

I truly had a blast doing this. I started just for the heck of it, to see if I could do the program, w/o repeating a week, w/o stopping during a run. I really do not think these programs are truly for the couch potato, at least not the kinda spud I started out as. LOL
    I did a few weeks of short intevals (walk/run) before I even found out about the C25K program and I'm grateful I did as it prepared me somewhat for what was to come.

I'll be checking in to see how you guys are coming along & will post when I do run (have the one left on the app to do this week and then who knows ??) :flowerforyou:
  • mel521
    mel521 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, airangel! Good tips!

I'm scheduled for 2 runs. The first is April 26. I should finish c25k on the 19th. My second one is May 31. I am concerned about the switch from running on the treadmill to running outside. Right now I'm focusing on finishing this program indoors since that's how I started. I hope once I finish, I'll be able to get out more to run to improve before my second 5k.
  • FocusKimFocus
    FocusKimFocus Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I took the day off today.

Airangel - cOnGraAtS!! I'm not sure I could run 30 minutes in southern AZ right now. I'm loving my ~40deg F weather up here in the mountains. I do like your tips. I'm glad to have good scenery to keep me occupied, so I haven't been tempted to look at the time.

Mel & Maree - I personally find treadmill running much harder to do - so hopefully you'll be able to make the transition easily. I do think there are some subtle muscle usage differences between treadmill and outside, but probably not significant for 5k type distances.

I haven't signed up for a race, but am considering starting a race as a fundraiser for the non-profit org that I work for. Once upon a time I was the local event coordinator, which included race directing a 5k/10k and a separate half marathon race. I live in a very rural area, so the races were never very big ... but I'm having fun trying to come up with a new race idea.

I'll be back to running tomorrow.
  • DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Fabulous news, Airangel! You go, girl. It was a rest day for me today and yesterday, but I'm looking forward to getting out there tomorrow.

My first planned 5k is April 12! There will be thousands of participants, so I suspect we'll be spending some time walking and shuffling. I'm going with my 2 daughters, and I've got a sneaky suspicion I'm fitter than they are.
  • maree142
    maree142 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I snuck back into the gym and did Week 7, day 2 (no rest day, which is a bit naughty), I wanted to keep getting used to the distance.
    Week 7,day 3, jumps up to 25 min run, so I wanted to well and truly have mastered that.

Deb, your run is coming up pretty soon.

Thanks for all the other comments. Keep on running! M
  • mel521
    mel521 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Kim, you saying that about the transition makes me feel better! Thanks!

Deb, my younger sister is running with me and I feel like I may have to slow down for her. Good luck on your run!