Foods to avoid

Options
CrisEBTrue
CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
I didn't see another topic like this, so... thought I'd jump in and start one.
We've all seen "light" foods, and "sugar free" stuff aimed at diabetics.

Some are helpful and some---well. Not So Much.

I found this article about Stevia online and thought I'd share.

In brief.. read your labels. If one of the first ingredients is Dextrose.. RUN.
You might as well drink high fructose corn syrup.

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2013/04/25/stevia-food-babe-investigates/

I have had some personal experience with things like this.
For example.. Crystal Light.
I though.. OK. I will try this.. no sugar, right?

Within 10 minutes of drinking it, I developed a horrible, brain-squeezing headache.
I felt giddy and confused (ok more than usual), I was lightheaded and panicky.

Duh. Whatever "artificial sweetener" they put in this junk had a worse effect on me than if I had
actually eaten a Midnight Milky Way bar. Seriously.

I stay away from "lite" mayonnaise, salad dressings. etc.
They're worse than the regular product they are meant to replace...I can tell within minutes
of eating something if it is full of fake fat or other additives. And trust me. I used to eat ANYTHING.

What bogus products have you found that we should avoid?

Replies

• genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Thanks for bringing up the topic! I don't have much to add but I agree we MUST get used to reading what is in the food we buy. There a lot of hidden sugars and preservatives. Although I rarely eat bread now, I read the most interesting article on bread (here's the link: http://foodbabe.com/2014/02/24/healthiest-bread-on-the-market/) We cannot trust the food industry to be honest! They are only out for profit. We need to just learn to watch what we put in our bodies.

:smile:
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    It's also good to keep in mind though that something which affects you negatively may not bother another person one bit, so there's really not an "avoid at all cost" list which applies to everyone. It must be personalized to the individual.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I stay away from "lite" mayonnaise, salad dressings. etc.
    They're worse than the regular product they are meant to replace...I can tell within minutes
    of eating something if it is full of fake fat or other additives. And trust me. I used to eat ANYTHING.

Most light or reduced-fat/sugar/sodium products just have less of the whatever they're touting, but always always check the ingredient label, and compare it to the regular product. Not everything will be better, but you will find a lot of good products out there.

Crystal Light doesn't bother me, and it helped me and my husband (who gave up soda completely) go from regular soda to diet, and then to just water (most of the time). A good transition if you can tolerate the product.

I mostly do not purchase anything labeled sugar-free, as the sweetness is often replaced with sugar alcohol, which bothers my stomach badly even in moderate doses. I find Splenda to be the best sugar sub for myself, no reactions to it that I've noticed.

My number 1 avoidance is trans-fat, or anything with "partially hydrogenated" in the label. I make very few exceptions for it.
  • 123_lac
    123_lac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Crystal Light does the same thing to me. I will have the most painful headache after drinking it. I haven't drank one in years and will never drink one again it was so bad.
  • 123_lac
    123_lac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I avoid any of the sugar free candies or products with sugar alcohol because they cause my blood glucose to spike. A couple pieces of "sugar free" candy supposedly with "2 net carbs" will raise mine to nearly 200. I just avoid them now.
  • Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Our hospital has a diabetic class taught by a registered diabetic instructor and a Registered dietitian. The first group class was two hours of instruction on reading food labels. I noticed that my local park district has a free class on the same subject. I pay attention to the food labels on every thing we buy. But I highly recommend attending a class like this if it is available.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid any foods, I grew up on lite, sugar free & the like (and of course got fat but not blaming those foodstuffs for causing it, lol). I do eat everything in moderation since I began this journey 652 days ago. I have not had any negative issues from artificial/lite/sugar free/sugar alcohols etc...as another commented, some people are more sensitive to ingredients than others, YMMV.
  • diabetesdieter
    diabetesdieter Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I have had some personal experience with things like this.
    For example.. Crystal Light.
    I though.. OK. I will try this.. no sugar, right?

Within 10 minutes of drinking it, I developed a horrible, brain-squeezing headache.
    I felt giddy and confused (ok more than usual), I was lightheaded and panicky.

Duh. Whatever "artificial sweetener" they put in this junk had a worse effect on me than if I had
    actually eaten a Midnight Milky Way bar. Seriously.

Aspartame in diet drinks can cause your brain to react adversely. Many migraines are caused by artificial sweeteners.
  • Keeleelee55
    Keeleelee55 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I too am trying to do without bread, is there anything you've used as a substitute that has helped? I have always been a big sandwich person and it's very very hard doing without. I've been trying pita pockets but it seems any bread raises my BS.
  • kathicooks
    kathicooks Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    keeleelee, have you tried scrambling a raw egg with a little shredded cheese and then pouring it into a pan and letting it cook into a small omelette? Use that as a sandwich wrap. Another option is to google cauliflower breadsticks. I used the recipe on ifoodreal.com. if you follow the instructions including pan size, these will be REALLY thin. instead of cutting them into small breadsticks, cut them into larger squares. You can use these as wraps, or cover with pizza toppings and put back into the oven for carb-friendly pizza.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I too am trying to do without bread, is there anything you've used as a substitute that has helped? I have always been a big sandwich person and it's very very hard doing without. I've been trying pita pockets but it seems any bread raises my BS.
    Google "oopsie rolls" ...

Or just go here: http://yourlighterside.com/2009/05/gluten-free-low-carb-buns-aka-oopsie-rolls/

Less than 1g of carbohydrate per roll...
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I like Mission Carb Balance tortilla wraps. They have 13gm fiber, 5gm protein and 6 NET carbs.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Crystal Light doesn't bother me
    Me neither. I throw a little in my Greek yogurt on a regular basis.
  • theocine
    theocine Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been trying drink flavored waters and have found several brands that are 0 calories but 5 - 7 g Carbs! I'm not sure how this could be true. But it highlights the importance of reading the labels. I'm also trying to reduce the amount of artificial sweeteners.

Other than that, I just decided that I will only eat carbs that I REALLY like. If it tastes good, it takes less to satisfy my cravings.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options

I use Joseph's flatbread. Only 14 carbs (and 6 of them are fiber)for an entire slice and it is a big square.. Tastes good too.

http://www6.netrition.com/josephs_bakery_lavash_bread.html
  • sandign
    sandign Posts: 56
    Options
    I use the Ezekial Prophet Pocket and normally cut it in half. Make a gratsandwishand actually does not spike me if I eat only half. I also found someUDI Millet and Chia bread that is gluten free and tastes pretty good. Not as heavy as most gluten free breads. Actually used 2 slices for a burger the other day.

I find that bread of most any kind will spike me. Especially white or even wheat.
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating bread, it's the only way I can keep my BS under 170. While I I love all those things that raise my BS I stopped eating them.