Have you tried to lose weight before through other methods?

Options
kittyneutron
kittyneutron Posts: 160 Member
Today I was just looking at some of the results I've had in the past with my previous weight loss attempt.

I followed the recommended MFP eating plan, which is essentially eating low calorie/low fat and followed that pretty closely for 9 months. My total loss in 9 months was 40 lbs, with an average of 4 lbs per week. Gained back 36 lbs of that over a year :(

Now I've been doing keto for 2 days short of 14 days and lost 8 lbs, and I'm not starving or going to bed hungry. Pretty excited about that! It's just so good to feel satiated and have such a stabile blood sugar throughout the day. Also, my skin has cleared up in a major way, which makes me very happy.

Anyone else with past results to share?

Replies

• Avansilee
    Avansilee Posts: 11
    Options
    I've tried traditional dieting dozens of time. I've been overweight all of my life.

I've gone to weight watchers maybe 4 separate times for anything from 3 weeks to 6 months. I've never lost more than 20lbs on the program before falling off the wagon.

My best pre-keto results came from eating normally, and picking up running, actually. Something I hope to pick up again once my knees don't feel like they're on fire from a few minutes of it. I lost 50lbs over 4 months when I was running 5 days a week and living in Japan. But I ate anything I wanted, even had McDonalds and other fast food when I wasn't with my homestay family.

I let my running slide for a lot of reasons, including depression, and ballooned up again. And by ballooned, I mean I gained back what I'd lost, plus another 80lbs or so over the course of 5 years. I hit the gym and the low-cal/low-fat section of my grocery market hard for four months starting in the spring of last year. I lost about 10lbs total, and was constantly starving myself. I fluctuated around there for another month or so - then somehow I stumbled on /r/keto.

I had always sworn that low-carb was not for me. My dad had done atkins and had good results a long time ago when it was the new thing. But I was always a bread fiend. I could sit and eat a half a loaf of bread in a day on my own. Thinking about that made me realize that that wasn't healthy on either side of the low-carb fence, and I was pushing 300lbs - what did I really have to lose?

Since starting keto, I've all but stopped having migraines and muscle cramps. I'm in a better mood, which is saying something for someone with a history of anxiety and depression. It's not even just about the weight loss anymore, though not feeling hungry constantly has made that so much easier. And all this before I have even gotten seriously back into exercise. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a bit, and I feel good enough to start running again!
  • squatduchess24
    Options
    I lost 20-ish pounds a few years ago, my freshman year of college and beginning of sophomore year via caloric restriction, vegetarianism, and running (got up to 5-6 days per week). At the time I thought I was happier that way, but I never felt 'good enough.' I wound up with a knee injury, crying about eating a Reeses more than once, feeling really restricted. I ended up in physical therapy from running too much. It took me a long time, til senior year of college, really, to get into lifting and to even investigate primal/paleo/keto. In terms of eating, I wound up in a horrible binge/restriction cycle where I'd eat healthy for 2-3 days and then just go all out eating horribly. I gained the weight back and then some, though at this point, since I've been lifting, I know some of that is now muscle mass. Recently my binges got even worse, so I thought turning back to keto might be a good idea. I didn't ever commit to it until now. I don't want to end up diabetic, or with rotted teeth from all the sugar.

Sticking to high fat, moderate protein, and then veg/nuts for carb sources really seems to be the way I should go to avoid binge eating behaviors and thoughts. I'm sure that at other points in my life I'll go away from keto (e.g. vacations, parties, whatever) but eating like this seems to feel best for my body.

It's only been 3 days but I feel much better despite a little of the brain fog/keto 'flu.' I haven't had the urge to binge, which hasn't happened in a REALLY long time. I'm thinking it will be okay to not have doughnuts for a while...
  • memorymaze
    Options
    I'm brand new to keto, just started yesterday. In the summer of 2010, I joined Weight Watchers and went from 170 lbs to 140 lbs in about 4 months of solid effort. I maintained that for about a year and then slowly started gaining it back. Over the past couple of years, since moving to another province for grad school, moving in with my boyfriend, I have gained an additional 20 lbs, with my highest weight ever at a little over 190 lbs.

I actually do feel that Weight Watchers did work for me at that time, and I definitely recognize my own sabotage. I literally walked away once I hit lifetime with the attitude of "I don't need this anymore, I got this." and reverted back to old habits quickly. I had never been overweight through high school and most of university, so I sort of had this mentality that it wouldn't happen again.

I'm going to give keto a try. I've seen so many people on reddit have great success with it and it has been inspiring. I am going to Africa this summer for my brother-in-law's wedding, so I'm definitely motivated to get into the 160s by then.