sunship Posts: 59 Member
how exciting --

we're clocked in at 410,857 meters --

-- ranked #18 -- :)

go TEAM go -- :)

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    If you look at the standings for virtual teams with 6-20 members we're # 2!
  • robinrows
    robinrows Posts: 57 Member
    Better still - look at the average metres rowed - we're 8th overall.

Interestingly looking at the individual standings the leader has rowed 92K a day. And I thought Eric was a bit mad (in a nice way!).

By my reckoning that is 5-6 hours on the rower a day. And I thought I had too much spare time!
  • sunship

Interestingly looking at the individual standings the leader has rowed 92K a day. And I thought Eric was a bit mad (in a nice way!).

By my reckoning that is 5-6 hours on the rower a day. And I thought I had too much spare time!

I actually was speaking to someone at C2 today about a non-related topic, and mentioned to her that NOBODY can have rowed 300K meters in 3 days -- and that maybe there was a decimal point error somewhere. She thanked me and said she'd look in to it --

-- fangs retreat -- ;)
  • robinrows
    Well, I didn't want to cast doubt........
  • sunship
    Well, I didn't want to cast doubt........

haha - i DO -- that's just im-possible -- :)
  • sunship
    i am now officially perplexed by this event.

it seems like a LOT of teams are doing a LOT of rowing -- is this always the case?

i wanted us to keep in the top 20, but it seems pretty darned hard --
  • BrianSharpe
    Last team challenge it was the same thing.....there seem to be some teams who have members that row extraordinary distances each month. Of course, you can manually enter your metres which leaves some of the results open to questions (even though anyone who fudges their numbers is only cheating him or herself, it's not like there are cash prizes!)
  • robinrows
    Well, as a team we're over the 1 million metres, well done all.
  • robinrows
    I was thinking about some of the distances rowed.

Some of the distances seem very high and at first seem impossible, but then I considered how much rowing I have done.

I am not fit - quite overweight and getting thinner but not fit. I have managed to row at least 10K a day.

So based on this, a fitty may be able to row a lot more a day, say 20K, 30K.

Only a theory.
  • BrianSharpe
    I was thinking about some of the distances rowed.

Some of the distances seem very high and at first seem impossible, but then I considered how much rowing I have done.

I am not fit - quite overweight and getting thinner but not fit. I have managed to row at least 10K a day.

So based on this, a fitty may be able to row a lot more a day, say 20K, 30K.

Only a theory.

Some of them are doable for sure....if you look at the annual meters honor board there are a number of rowers logging in excess of 30,000m daily for the whole season. I couldn't imagine rowing 40,000m per day......
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Just found this thread. ...

Hi everyone. Took a day off from the team event yesterday but will make my contribution to the overall total today.

Despite it all, a brilliant effort for the team you guys! I'm so impressed -- you totally motivate me to keep at it, so thank you very much. I've seen amazing gains in my endurance over the last 30 days and have lost some body fat--big win for me--and I love reading everyone's posts on their walls.
  • sunship
    I couldn't imagine rowing 40,000m per day......

if only i could find the time...
  • BrianSharpe
    I couldn't help but notice that our members' average metres for the World Erg Challnnege was almost double the first place team's, the difference is that they have over 300 members!
  • sunship
    almost there -- :)

make sure to get your rows before the days is done!
  • fitandfortyish
    I'm in....annnnnnd done!! Happy dance

Although I really dropped off since April 1, so my apologies to the team.
  • mrspeterson
    mrspeterson Posts: 54 Member
    There's an great story here about the awesome 71 year old woman who rowed 2 million meters (an yet finished second!) in the challenge: http://wwmt.com/shared/news/features/top-stories/stories/wwmt_-71yearold-parchment-woman-rows-85k-meters-day-19825.shtml#.U1EeQ-ZdXlX

Great job everybody!
  • robinrows
    Some of the distances rowed are amazing, the story mentioned above is inspiring and demoralising in one. Inspiring because you think if she can do so can I (although 7 + hours on the rower a day is heading towards/has reached and passed the insane!), but demoralising because just as you think your own distances are impressive (in your own mind) you then read a 71 year old is thrashing you!
  • robinrows
    Anyone aiming to do the marathon challenge? I am. 1/2 marathon is not a problem, but have not managed a full marathon as I seem to get quite bad ankle pain around 21K. I have a good opportunity in May as I am on a 3 day training course (cheap hotel, no gym, so will go for long walks in the evening) so plan to train hard before the course, rest for 3 days and then attempt the full marathon.
  • fitandfortyish
    I think C2 has a 21k challenge for June 21...I had toyed with attempting it....but truthfully I can only see myself being able to do it in 2 parts; a 10k early in the day and then an 11k later on. Some how I can't see being able to mentally push through the entire distance at one time.
  • BrianSharpe
    Anyone aiming to do the marathon challenge? I am. 1/2 marathon is not a problem, but have not managed a full marathon as I seem to get quite bad ankle pain around 21K. I have a good opportunity in May as I am on a 3 day training course (cheap hotel, no gym, so will go for long walks in the evening) so plan to train hard before the course, rest for 3 days and then attempt the full marathon.

I plan on doing a half and if I'm feeling really crazy might try a full (that's a lot of rowing!)