70 is the new 60...or even 50

Options
BobbieInCA
BobbieInCA Posts: 102 Member
Just found this group. I am a happy, healthy 73, at my goal weight thanks to MFP and my friends here. I love the encouragement I get on the site, enjoy passing it on, and I keep an open diary. It will be fun to be able to reach more people though this forum. Happy Springtime! (Yes, it's coming...really.)

Replies

• CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hi; it's nice to "meet" you and hear about your success!!!

I'm looking forward to success here as well... =)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    Like the title of the thread very much.

Welcome, we are a good group. Feel free to add me as a friend if you need more of them :flowerforyou:
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    70 is the new 50, lol, love it! My daughter gave me some face cream 2 weeks ago and it made me look so much better, and feel so much better, I said I would have to be careful else the authorities would take away my senior bus pass! I will be 73 next week.

Time for a new application of face cream!!!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching your goal weight.

I’m almost there (age, not goal weight). I’ll be 70 in August. When I was in my 20’s and 30’s, I considered 70 as the official age of old age. In my early 60’s, I felt my body (although fat) and mind were still in my 40’s to 50’s. In my late 60’, because of several years of ill health, my body felt like I was in my 80's, and my mind felt even older. This year started out very healthy for me and my body is back in my 60’s and I feel that my mind is back in my 50’s and I have a real zest for life again. My goal for my 70’s is to get in as good health as I was in my 20’s..

It’s springtime in Northern California. My rhododendrons and azaleas are all in bloom, and my roses are getting nice long stems. I just hope we don’t get a cold snap. Don’t want the flowers to freeze.

Chuck
  • Mom0819
    Mom0819 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    70 is the new 50, lol, love it! My daughter gave me some face cream 2 weeks ago and it made me look so much better, and feel so much better, I said I would have to be careful else the authorities would take away my senior bus pass! I will be 73 next week.

What brand of face cream? i could use some!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,707 Member
    Options
    Life has gotten better and better with age. I love my husband of 20+ years. Have a good job, good health, good friends and family. A wonderful home in a vacation setting. And lovely kitty-babies, nieces, nephews, grand-nieces and grand-nephews.

And I'm wiser. It is so nice to understand life better and appreciate it more...

I feel my age (which is 61), but of course, 61 feels like 40. And why shouldn't it? My health is better now than it was then. And I've always been "young at heart." So what's the difference?

:laugh:
  • retirehappy
    Options

What brand of face cream? i could use some!

^^^^^ This, I could use some too!!
  • retirehappy
    Options

It’s springtime in Northern California. My rhododendrons and azaleas are all in bloom, and my roses are getting nice long stems. I just hope we don’t get a cold snap. Don’t want the flowers to freeze.

Chuck

OH this sounds so lovely right now. My husband and I were just discussing when to start seedlings in the house. On the Front Range of Colorado putting anything out in the ground before Mother's Day is asking for dead plants.

We have a lone rhododendron in the backyard that we thought had died, but last autumn it put out a few leaves and they have managed to stay alive even in the sub zero weeks we had this winter.

Just bring on the Springtime and Summer I am so over Winter Wonderland.:glasses:
  • gspieler
    gspieler Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Love the topic. Yes, we are staying younger longer. Isn't it wonderful.

You are very clever and fun. So glad to have found you on the site.
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Apparently I need to move to the left coast. Here in central Indiana we are bracing for yet another "polar vortex". Last week the temps reached the low 60s, by Wednesday it is supposed to be zero again with wind chills below zero. That being said, at 63 I figure I must be in the new 40s!! Works for me. Just pick an age you like and stick with it and the early 40s/late 30s were pretty good as far as I am concerned. When I compare notes with my peers and friends I feel pretty blessed. Those things I want to fix, e.g., lose some weight/inches are within my control. When compared to those who have had heart attacks, diabetes, cancer, Alzheimers (the list goes on), I feel pretty great at just being 15 pounds and a couple of inches from my goal.
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Chuck..your post made me smile.......about being 60 and 70 and the body being elsewhere and the mind..... great post!

I am 62 but still think I am 28...(maybe I have dementia! ) ....... Today is Spring in the UK too...lovely sunny day which has made me do hours of long overdue housework....... even had windows open.....I am sure it's a one off day and we have more wind and rain on the way - but it made me happy....as do all your posts on here........ :bigsmile:

Jean
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Love this thread. I have spent basically my entire adult life in the home health industry and I truly believe that the age you feel is a reflection of your health status - both physical and mental. Would you believe that I had one long term patient who is now 104, still lives alone, and is the caregiver for her daughter? She also continues to crochet doilies (sp? remember those???) that she sells in church sales. She starts her day with her exercise routine and that includes breathing exercises that she does with an incentive spriometer that she got during a hospital stay!

I think the things thing that I noted over the years about patients who aged the best were that they exercised - especially walking. Walking is good for so many things and particularly balance, and many of them also maintained gardens of vegetables or flowers. They ate most of their meals at home and ate real food, not processed gunk, in quantities to maintain a body weight that was not obese, and they had a positive attitude and things they were interested in! They were in church groups or had hobbies, but in any event stayed INVOLVED with life.

Just a couple of observations from many years of home health nursing.
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    It is funny, but I have never really thought about my age. I have always felt like "I was just here". If that makes any sense. But of course my body has felt very old with the pain of the spine and then this hip stuff. I have had a knee replacement and just 2 1/2 weeks ago a hip done. What I love about being "older" is the attitude I now have. I don't care if I go out without make up on, I don't care if someone does not like me (that is their choice) and I DO NOT change me to be what I think another person wants me to be. I am ME and that is good.

And as GLH said, no diabetes, no heart problems, great blood pressure etc. So even with the body damage, I am in great health!

This is a great topic, I am so glad you all are feeling young, because we all are.

Now with that being said, get on over to your local playground and swing, go down the slide and have a fun day.
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    i had such a good time in 'the sixties', i'm determined to have a good time in MY sixties. But maybe a little different :wink:

My wonderful mother will turn 95 this week - now needs a walker all the time but she is still living on her own in the home she and my dad built almost 40 years ago. I want to grow up to be just like her - her faculties still very sharp, and her sense of humor often 'shocks' the 30 year old grandkids LOL

Wonderful to read about all your great attitudes and successes!
  • kathyf590
    Options
    One of my guilty pleasures, at 65, is feeling superior to all the "kids" - mostly 30-40 yrs olds- in our family who aren't in as good a shape as I am. I have been blessed with overall good health and no serious chronic illnesses. ( I don't count my cancer bout, since so far I'm 3 years cancer free.) Although, it certainly is challanging- see my last blog- my gut tells me that you have to keep moving to keep going. Even my rheumatologist agrees that it's a delicate balance to keep exercising while avoiding injuring yourself.
    My hat's off to our group- we can still rock it!:drinker:
  • Gemini61454
    Gemini61454 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I did just join this group last week. I will be 60 this summer. I would like to lose a few pounds then maintain weight. I've been gaining and losing the same 15-20 pounds since my 20's. Several years back I started to walk daily, at least five days per week at least 30 minutes per day. I'm proud to say that I still do that! I have done hatha yoga in the past (+5 years ago) and fell out of the habit. I've been intermittently trying to return to doing it, at least once per week and working my way up.

I do love to cook and eat and I am admittedly, a huge sugar lover :) It is a constant challenge to abstain. I also have inherited the mean cholesterol gene from my Dad's side, but also his crave for nutritional information and supplementation :) He lived to be 92!

You all sound like a fun and supportive group here. I look forward to checking in often. You all have a great day :)