Almond meal, Coconut flour & flaxseed meal

Options
kristafb
kristafb Posts: 770 Member
I've been experimenting with each of these ingredients and was wondering how others feel about them on the Keto diet. I made a mug cake yesterday wtih coconut flour (first time using it) and although it was yummy I felt really bloated & was up 1.5 lbs today. Not sure if thats to blame or the cabbage I had for supper but either way I wasn't feeling too spiffy tnis morning.

I haven't found any effect from ALmond Meal and have used it from day 1 and I've been using the flaxseed meal for the last week & have had a bit of a stall, not sure if its related.

Just wondering,overall, if any of you have had any negative effects from any of these. thanks!

Replies

• strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Almond meal and coconut flour are not available to me locally, so I've yet to try either of those. As for flaxseed meal, I've gone through weeks where I've craved the "muffin in a minute" and have used it to aid in my cauliflower crust pizza crust, sprinkled in a salad, etc. I've never had any issues with the flaxseed meal. It's even broke a few stalls for me...guess it's the fiber :)
  • belly718
    belly718 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have used the almond meal (Trader Joes) twice recently. I used it as a flour & bread crumb substitute when I made salmon cake and whiting cake. I really enjoyed the outcome. I had made an almond bread once using the almond flour I got from a health food store. The bread didn't taste right was totally disappointed with that one. I might try again in the future since I'm kinda missing toast with a nut butter lol.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I use all three quite frequently in my diet and have almost never experienced any negative effects.

There was one time when I made Amazing Bread with coconut flour and felt like I ate a brick. I did a bit of reading and I learned that it's likely the fiber content going down with not enough water or anything else to help it along. There's also the possibility of a fructose intolerance, but I think that's less likely. Whatever it was, it was bad enough to make sure I never tried Amazing Bread again. And it's been a while since I've gone near my stores of coconut flour to be perfectly honest.

However, I've not had any other negative experiences, even when consuming very high quantities of fiber in the form of these flours. Maybe try it again, if you think you can handle it, and pair it with plenty of water.