Winning the Battle of the Mind - Discuss

Options
Some of the things I have learned while being on IP program, is more positive self talk.

What kind of affirmations, intentions, or self-imposed "rules" help you get through your temptations and encourage you to reach your goal?

Replies

• lisamy1088
    lisamy1088 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am learning this adventure is more than about losing weight. Even though clothes are fitting better and people are noticing the weight loss, I still see myself as having so far to go and have a distorted view of how people see me. It is time to start working on my self-image as well as the outside image.
  • ChampagneHrglss
    ChampagneHrglss Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am learning this adventure is more than about losing weight. Even though clothes are fitting better and people are noticing the weight loss, I still see myself as having so far to go and have a distorted view of how people see me. It is time to start working on my self-image as well as the outside image.

I actually started going to a therapist once a month because of issues like that. I still see a very distorted reflection in the mirror and while it's way better than it used to be, I still have a messed up view of myself. If that's an option for you, it can be very helpful. My therapist talks a lot about figuring out what your triggers are for periods of self-loathing - like, when you find yourself in that zone where you hate everything about your reflection or whatever thing you're hating yourself for at the moment, try to stop in your tracks and retrace your thought pattern to find out what started the thought process in the first place. Identifying the things that trigger you negatively can help you learn how to overcome them. :)
  • jan5500
    jan5500 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Great topic. I just finished reading "The Power of Habits". We have so many automatic habits and thoughts that got us to this point. Understanding the power of habit and how to analyze our own trigger points goes a long way toward healing/retraining ourselves.

Goals put into practice and repeated often enough become habits - even exercising. When I was in a particularly difficult (mentally) part of this weight loss process, I set small mental goals for myself for the day or week. When negative thought crept in, I had a plan for counteracting them such as reading a book, going for a walk, getting outside with my dog for a few minutes - anything that would keep my mind occupied in a happy, positive way.

Anyone who has been on a diet before has heard the "learning healthy habits" or "changing lifestyle" clichés. We really do need to incorporate new, healthy eating and thinking habits to stop the yo-yo patterns.
  • pammee44
    pammee44 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome topic!

My husband and I love the IP program because it is about more than just weight loss, we are learning a lot about the foods out there as well as ourselves.

our coaches made us create an affirmation mirror on our bathroom mirror. Well i went a little overboard and put up not only my goals which was part of the assignment, but I put a bunch of positive sayings and quotes i found on the internet and look at them all every morning and evening while getting ready for work and then again for bed.

It's amazing how the mind can play games with your mental focus and attitude.
  • ChampagneHrglss
    ChampagneHrglss Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have Smaug's daily affirmation on my mirror - "I am fire. I am death!"
  • QueenOSpades
    QueenOSpades Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have Smaug's daily affirmation on my mirror - "I am fire. I am death!"

Now that right there is powerful and very bad a** of you. I like it :)