Welcome!

Options
3Gr8kids
3Gr8kids Posts: 15 Member
Thanks for joining! Please introduce yourself and tell us about your journey to follow 80-10-10 way of eating or how you are a friend of someone following 80-10-10! For more information, read Dr. Douglas Graham’s book “The 80/10/10 Diet”

I look forward to reading your posts!

Replies

• 3Gr8kids
    Options
    I have been following 80-10-10 low fat, raw vegan way of eating for just over a month now. I read Dr. Graham's 80-10-10 book in November and initially planned to follow his program for a 30 day period to detox from my addiction to refined sugar. But at the end of the first month, I felt so amazing that I decided to continue this way of eating since my body is responding very well. The first month I shed 11.3 lbs effortlessly. With the exception of the 3rd day, I haven't felt deprived nor craved any refined sugar. I believe this is due to the large amount of fruit I am eating daily which fuels my cells with plenty of fructose. Most of all, I am amazed by how alive I feel. I have more energy at 40, then I did in my 20's.

For the past 2 years, I have been eating 70-80% raw, high-fat foods. This resulted in little weightloss without a lot of energy. For me, its not really about an ideal body weight per se, although my desired weight is around 130 lbs (I'm currently 145 lbs) rather I am more interested in achieving vibrant health and living a more balanced life devoid of food addictions to unhealthy foods. And for the first time in my life, I believe the energy I am experiencing on 80-10-10 is finally leading me in that direction.

Pam (3Gr8kids) (Group moderator)
  • danikanoodles
    danikanoodles Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Pam, what a great story! I love hearing success stories. Glad you are feeling so alive!

I've been following 80/10/10 for about a year now. I became interested in raw foods when I was about 18(23 now) when I was a vegetarian. My first raw food book was high fat gourmet and called for all sorts of things I never heard of and couldn't afford. It got me real discouraged so I never proceeded. January 23rd of 2011 I became vegan and started learning more about raw foods. I started with just smoothies for breakfast. Lunch was high-carb cooked and dinner usually was something high in fat and cooked. I started slowly transitioning to becoming full raw. I started learning about 80/10/10. My hardest part to get past was the protein. I was doing heavy weight lifting and filling up on vegan protein powders and quinoa after a session but once I ditched that and went raw and kept my protein 10% or under I've had a lot more success in my body building. Who would have thought! It's all about how you train :) Before all of this I was on all sorts of medications for all sorts of problems. Still working on getting a couple under control but it's only been forward from there. I now coach vegans and raw vegans, teach yoga and have a big garden with hopes of moving to Hawaii this year to have a beautiful fruitopia <3

I love this lifestyle!
  • 3Gr8kids
    Options
    Hi Rawvine!
    Wow, your story is inspirational too! I cannot wait to hear about your Fruitopia…it sounds lovely! I would LOVE to do that. I haven’t been to Oahu in 19 years but I can still smell the Hawaii air ;) What kind of fruit are you planning to grow? My heart is drawn towards the tropics.

If you have time, please share some of your favorite recipes. I am really into juicing but I know that Dr. Graham doesn’t really support this practice since the fiber is not intact. I find juicing resonates with my spirit and I love waking up to a fresh juice with orange, grapefruit, ginger and a dash of cayenne! I’m hoping soon to feel that way about smoothies too but I just haven’t found one yet that I can’t wait to have every morning.
    I look forward to hearing about your adventure ;)
    Pam (3Gr8kids)
  • danikanoodles
    Options
    Ooops just seeing this post now.

I want to grow a large variety of fruits, Mainly mango, peaches, bananas & dates. Lots of tropical and exotics too! For now I have just a little fig tree and lemon tree. Hoping to grab a few peach trees this spring .

I don't do much juicing but I do really like fresh squeezed orange juice with the pulp. Haven't had that in a while...oooo now I want some! I'm doing a research paper on fasting so i might do a little juice fast leading into a short water fast as part of my research. Got to have that first hand experience. I think juice fasts are okay once in a while short term and for health not just weight loss. Ginger is super yum! I add that to juices once in a while but I really love it as a tea just hot water and steeped ginger. Not truly raw but my one little thing.

You must have had a great time in Oahu! I've never been to Hawaii yet but it's going to be lovely.
  • milesvictors
    milesvictors Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% raw on the 80 10 10 right now, as money can be tight with this much fruit (I'm a bigger guy - 225 lbs - so thats a lot of bananas! :) ) but stick to raw fruit until mid-afternoon when I take in something like steamed potatotes or rice to make up the calorie difference, then a cooked vegan HCLF vegan dinner with the family. Feeling great! Nice to be a part of the group.
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just joined this group today. I'm hoping it will be another good tool for me as I ease into the raw 80/10/10 lifestyle. I am a practising vegan for about five years now and a vegetarian prior for another 6-7. I follow the 5:2 WOE and use MFP to help log my calories. I am also now at maintenance. I have been investigating going "raw" for several months now and this week I have just committed to doing sort of an 80%-20% break using the raw/cooked approach. I'm very keen right now and have acquired a host of recipes for the green smoothies, all of which sound fabulous and so versatile you literally could eat a different meal every day for years and not repeat one. Ironically, I threw one together for my supper the other evening that I made up myself and I have now had it four times! LOL. I do plan to move past that though. I am so happy I found this group here because in some respects, I feel I have come home.
  • danikanoodles
    Options
    Welcome! Awesome to see another fellow 80/10/10er!
  • greenstar888
    greenstar888 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I am striving for 80/10/10 and follow a vegan diet. I tried 801010 last year but made a lot of rookie mistakes so now I am doing something that's a cross between nutritarian and 801010. My goal is to be 80% raw. I am also throwing in a few "fast"/low cal days to keep the scales moving down. This gives me the freedom to have a high calorie intake most of the time and makes me feel like I can sustain this rate until I reach my GW.

Would love to have more 801010 friends to keep each other motivated!

Happy logging!
    Greens
    (P.S. Hi Perrin!)
  • Rawvine
    Rawvine Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I can't remember what I shared....did I mention Hawaii? Lol!
  • Rawvine
    Rawvine Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Rawvine!
    Wow, your story is inspirational too! I cannot wait to hear about your Fruitopia…it sounds lovely! I would LOVE to do that. I haven’t been to Oahu in 19 years but I can still smell the Hawaii air ;) What kind of fruit are you planning to grow? My heart is drawn towards the tropics.

If you have time, please share some of your favorite recipes. I am really into juicing but I know that Dr. Graham doesn’t really support this practice since the fiber is not intact. I find juicing resonates with my spirit and I love waking up to a fresh juice with orange, grapefruit, ginger and a dash of cayenne! I’m hoping soon to feel that way about smoothies too but I just haven’t found one yet that I can’t wait to have every morning.
    I look forward to hearing about your adventure ;)
    Pam (3Gr8kids)
  • SMontgomery82
    SMontgomery82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Sarah. I'm a married, stay at home mom to 3 boys and I home school. I am REALLY new to eating 80/10/10. I tried 80/10/10 last fall and felt amazing and as my body began to heal and feel better for some reason I decided that since I was feeling better I could add things back in here and there...well fast forward a few month and now I feel all yucky and unhealthy again and am struggling with candidia and constipation again...which were the reasons I started 80/10/10 to begin with...This time I'm determined to get all the info I can and learn as much as I can so I can really stick with this since this way of eating is the only way that makes my body function properly and makes me feel soooo good. Its nice to meet you all :)