How long did it take to get your dose right?

Options
msthang444
msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
I am on the 2nd level of meds. Started my levothyroxine at .025, now at .05. Go back in 6 weeks. In the 6 weeks that I was on the .025 my numbers went UP. How many different dosages did you have to try before they got it right?

Replies

• abvickrey
    abvickrey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for me, it took my doctors 4 years to get my dosage right. I was going to the doctor every 3 months for blood work and adjustments in my medication. Just recently (this past year) they didn't have to change my medication for the first time ever -- and now I only have to go into the doctor once every 6 months (such a relief). Different people react to different medications in different ways (whoa... that was a lot of "differents" - ha!) but for me, a combination of medications worked best. I'm now on 60MG of Armour Thyroid and 50MCG of Levothyroxine. GOOD LUCK!
  • msthang444
    Options
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was lucky, I started on 75mcg, but it was increased to 150mcg after 1 month. That put me right in "normal" range (top end of normal, but normal all the same.) It still took an extra 2 months for everything to fall into place, i.e. the depression and brain fog to go away, temperature to stabilize, etc.

I don't think most doctors would double the dose like that, I would imagine most would gradually increase the dose like your dr. is doing.

Even though i count myself lucky it took only a short time, i still had the WORST side effects from the rapid increase. Worst headache imaginable that lasted for 3 days, lost most of my hair at the front of my head, and on my arms and legs, no period for 2 months, and terrible palpitations.
  • benzenering
    benzenering Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    3x for me...started at 25, then 50, stabilized at 75 mcg.
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    I'm on my 5th dose increase in a little over a year (25ug to 100ug synthroid now). Still not quite right, and I suspect it will be some back and forth for a while yet til my thyroid gives up entirely and I'm on a full replacement dose.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in the summer of 2012, and my Synthroid dosage has been increased every 3 months since. Last month, I finally persuaded my endocrinogist to lower my Synthroid from 88mcg to 75mcg and prescribe Cytomel. (My T4 & TSH are "normal," but my T3 is low.)

I'm still fatigued & hungry, so I expect the Cytomel will be increased every three months.
  • RandiDM
    RandiDM Posts: 12
    Options
    The first year after being diagnosed with Hashi's, my endo increased my Synthroid dose four times. On the fifth time, I went to someone else and got prescribed Armour. I now take 30mg in the morning and 30mg at night, but my t3 is low, so I'm thinking I may have to add Cytomel. I cannot take Levothyroxine, it makes me deathly ill. So four years in, and still trying!
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Stabilized after a year. Then after two pregnancies and weight gain, had to play with the dosage again. Since I started working on weight loss weight three years ago, my dosage is constantly being adjusted. My current dosage I've only been on for six months, but it feels right.
  • walk757
    walk757 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Started out with Synthroid which made me feel horrible. New Dr put me on Armour. It took about a year to regulate. I now take 60 mg in the morning and 15 mg at night. I really have to watch what I eat. Now back to counting calories, decided it will be lifelong. Love MFP!
  • autotek
    autotek Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    so far 2 years on 75 m of thyroxine
    i was never checked when i was younger
    going for blood work this week again to check my levels
    i was 6.87 hyper
  • CreekFisher
    CreekFisher Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Was Hyper until after 1st child born, Dx essential hypothyroidism after 2nd child which basically means, I burned it out from 30yrs of being hyperactive.
    I started on natural thyroid in 1977, on a fairly high dose until I left Critical Care Nursing where I was working 50-60 hours/week. Dr decreased dose twice, had to increase it again, but I still took an extra occasionally. Natural thyroid can vary in potency and decays if not stored correctly.
    Switched to Synthroid about 1985. Upped the dose once, did better.
    Then dose was dropped when I turned 68. Age caught up with me.
    I learned to deal with the ups and downs that come with changes in stress, sleep, types of food eaten.

Don't expect to be perfect, it's a lifelong process. You can learn to go with the ups and downs. On a bad day, get the necessaries done, then find a good book or something quiet to do until your body is again level. Be sure to take advantage of the high energy days.
  • playfultippy
    playfultippy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed 8 weeks ago with Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism. My TSH was 43 when i was diagnosed, and was started on 100mcg of levothyroxine. After 6 weeks, I went back and my TSH was down to 6.6, and my T3 and T4 are now in the "normal" range. My dose was increased to 150mcg, and I am two weeks into this. I am finally starting to feel better. Also, my dry skin as improved dramatically.

Here's to hoping we all feel better!!!

P.S. I just joined this group today, so hello to all!!
  • suejenfb
    suejenfb Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just joined this group today, it's nice to have other people to talk to about thyroid issues. I have Hashimoto's, I was diagnosed in 2008, my Dr put me on Levothyroxin and told me I was at the right level. I was still having symptoms and went to an Endocrinologist who finally put me on the right dose. A few years ago I started getting symptoms again and my Endo put me on a extra 1/2 pill one day a week which made a huge difference. I've recently lost 42 pounds and I'm off the 1/2 pill.
  • msthang444
    Options
    Hi. I just joined this group today, it's nice to have other people to talk to about thyroid issues. I have Hashimoto's, I was diagnosed in 2008, my Dr put me on Levothyroxin and told me I was at the right level. I was still having symptoms and went to an Endocrinologist who finally put me on the right dose. A few years ago I started getting symptoms again and my Endo put me on a extra 1/2 pill one day a week which made a huge difference. I've recently lost 42 pounds and I'm off the 1/2 pill.

That's awesome. I'm so frustrated with loosing 1/2 lb every two weeks.