Brewer Diet

Options
meggwyn
meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
Anyone heard of or follow this? I have a lot of friends who are into Traditional foods who have followed it. I was into Traditional foods for a while myself (raw milk, grinding my own wheat to make bread, avoiding anything refined, eating healthy fats, etc), but haven't had the time or energy to keep up with it over the past year. I forgot all about the Brewer diet until the other day, so I haven't been following it. It seems like a lot of food, but I wonder if its really the right balance for a healthy pregnancy?

http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/id13.html

Replies

• emny86
    emny86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I followed the Brewer's Diet with my first pregnancy and I did gain a bunch of weight. However I found that the weight came off really easily postpartum.. I didn't have to really exercise or diet at all.. it just melted off. I wonder if gaining weight from healthy eating is the reason why... hm.. This pregnancy I have used elements of the Brewer's diet (whole grains, liver, fresh fruit/veggies, and at least 80g protein/day) but I'm not being too strict. Overall, it's a great pregnancy guideline.. You don't have to follow it word for word. The main thing is to get your protein... That has been shown to reduce the risk of preeclampsia.
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! I think I will also follow elements of it, but not necessarily all of it. (I'm not a liver fan...do you think liverwurst would count?) I've been shooting for lots of protein myself. I had pregnancy induced hbp with my first pregnancy at 41 weeks, and while my 2nd pregnancy was a healthy one, they listed me as pre-E just b/c I had one reading of 130/90 before being induced at 38+4 days. The rest of the readings were normal, but they gave me the label, so I really want to avoid any hbp stuff at all! :)