Concealed Carry Holsters

Options
2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    And these types of responses (yours and mine) are why we can't have nice things.

It seems that my response didn't come across as measured and moderate as I intended it. Merely trying to point out that it's not as simple an answer as a Google search.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If the OP had asked for recommendations for a method to carry GU and water no one would have felt the need to debate the necessity of carrying those things while running.

Well...that depends... :smile:

Let's keep this on topic. It's not a debate about gun control or ones "need" to carry.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    In the middle of the summer this last year, a lady running was stabbed when running at a popular jogging path. (It was not filled with people that day) At that point, the semi secluded city park that I run at was completely off limits even though the stabbing didn't occur in our city.

I do miss that park too. Dirt path, 1.5 miles around, water to look at, but just not worth the risk anymore. Sometimes I was the ONLY runner out there.

It's just too secluded.

I"m all for legal gun ownership, and am getting ready to go through the steps to carry legally concealed.

That all said, I think if I am running on heavily traveled streets, which I do all the time since the above mentioned stabbing), I don't feel the "need" to carry while running.

Now, if I was trail running, that would be a different story. Or if I ran in a rural setting, I'd carry as well.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    My apologies to the OP, I agree with Carson, there should not be a debate. I think the above mentioned advice about the integrated compression/holster would be the best option.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    If the OP had asked for recommendations for a method to carry GU and water no one would have felt the need to debate the necessity of carrying those things while running.

:laugh: I thought about that right after I posted it.
    Let's keep this on topic. It's not a debate about gun control or ones "need" to carry.

Agreed. Sorry.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

True that! If someone asked about how to carry several pounds of Gu or water, we absolutely would debate with him or her whether they need to carry that much weight. I think I've participated in a thread about carrying a lot of water recently.

And on that note.... why are we carrying while running? Because if it's for self defense, I agree that pepper spray is a better option, since running + shooting is not very easy.

If you must run and shoot, you're going to want one of these:
    http://www.altiusguns.com/biathalon.php

I'm only half joking, but you can refer to any info about biathlon regarding how hard it is to hit any target when your heart rate is up that high, and your hands are swollen from exertion.

Nice thing about pepper spray is that you don't have to have perfect aim for it to be effective, AND, if your hands are swollen and your dexterity is down, you can't accidentally shoot yourself.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

True that! If someone asked about how to carry several pounds of Gu or water, we absolutely would debate with him or her whether they need to carry that much weight. I think I've participated in a thread about carrying a lot of water recently.

And on that note.... why are we carrying while running? Because if it's for self defense, I agree that pepper spray is a better option, since running + shooting is not very easy.

I'm only half joking, but you can refer to any info about biathlon regarding how hard it is to hit any target when your heart rate is up that high, and your hands are swollen from exertion.

Nice thing about pepper spray is that you don't have to have perfect aim for it to be effective, AND, if your hands are swollen and your dexterity is down, you can't accidentally shoot yourself.

I would say that during a run where you would be by yourself, i.e., a training run, your heart rate shouldn't be all that high to begin with. Run slow, shoot accurately :)

And for those that would carry, how do you protect yourself from sinkholes? Those could happen too. Swallow you right up. Odds are about the same ;)
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    About a year ago this subject came up on the Marathon Maniac forums and I was stunned by the number of people (mostly women) who are packing heat out on a run. One of the reasons I don't like carrying water is fear of chafing, I can't imagine a holster being any better.
  • SillyC2
    Options

And for those that would carry, how do you protect yourself from sinkholes? Those could happen too. Swallow you right up. Odds are about the same ;)

No, I'm sorry, but assault of female runners NOT rare, I'm afraid. I've had a few narrow misses myself. Once, while not running though, just out walking, a group of men tried to pull my friend and I into a van. They grabbed her but she got away and we both ran. I had a van follow me slowly down the street once. What was that all about? Reported it to the police. And a few months ago, some drunks chased me down the street. They didn't catch me, but were they going to rape me? No clue.

And then there was this one for me:
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/06/12/prime-suspect-in-2004-murder-of-sarah-fox-claims-he-had-psychic-vision-of-real-killer/

This was in MY park until I moved, about six months before the murder. This woman looks just like I did in 2004. The prime suspect used to try to chat me up several times when I ran.

Running is the only time I might even want a gun, but I still think pepper spray is a better option.
  • SillyC2
    Options
    <<Double post, redacted>>
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

The problem with pepper spray is cross contamination is extremely easy. Been there, done that, it is not fun. You can end up in a worst position than you originally were if you are being attacked and you just got a face full of pepper spray.
    Aim doesn't have to be perfect, but getting it in the eyes is most effective. It is affected by wind, rain, proximity, etc. Its also not guaranteed to work on everyone, in particular goal oriented people and sometimes those under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.

This isn't an argument against pepper spray, I'm just a strong believer in knowing how to use your weapons and knowing their short comings. You've got to be prepared.

Just a note - the good thing about using it with animals is you are generally directing it downward which makes it harder to end up with it in your face and animals are much more likely to be deterred just by having the spray in the air. For humans, it is much less effective unless it gets directly in the eyes.
  • SillyC2
    Options

The problem with pepper spray is cross contamination is extremely easy. Been there, done that, it is not fun. You can end up in a worst position than you originally were if you are being attacked and you just got a face full of pepper spray.

I guess, but in a much less bad way than if you shot yourself, or had the gun wrestled out of your swollen hands.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My dad is huge into C&C and an avid gun owner, and he doesn't want me running with a gun. Pretty much no matter how you carry them, they are going to be exposed to sweat which isn't good for them. I also don't feel safe carrying one when I know it's going to bounce around a lot...just seems like a good way to shoot myself in the butt.

I carry two knives instead...one on a chain around my neck and one at my waist. I run in a very rural area by myself...lots of loose dogs and the potential for someone to cause trouble. I've only ever grabbed for one of my knives once, and I was glad it was there.
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If I ever run through Dayton, I will go with nothing less than an RPG and a sword.

Well if you do it go all in & wear a kilt too..
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My Ruger LCP is pretty small & comfortable to carry in the pouch on my hydration belt..

Have to admit that most of the time when I run I'm just carrying pepper spray... dogs n such. There's almost 0 return for someone to mess with a sweaty 6-2, 215# guy wearing just shorts, shoes & a T shirt so my main issue is being chased by those darn dogs that people don't keep on a leash.