What's your regime look like?

Options
Guinivere
Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
Hi folks,

I'm getting a bit tired of reading about some of these fad diets, and I do include Weight Watchers, Slimming World, Slimfast, Cambridge, Dukan, Jenny Craig, F-plan, Atkins, 5:2, Paleo, Juicing etc etc

I don't like labels and stereotypes either, and I know that a lot of people have devised their own experiments and methodologies that work for them.

I would be more interested to hear about people's experiences whilst finding what works for them, e.g. Cutting out sugar or gluten

Conducting food trials to see what effects certain foods have on their workouts. If this sounds interesting to you or you'd like to share, please do so here :happy:

Replies

• xSexyWafflesx
    xSexyWafflesx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    All I've done is quit eating meat, for the most part (I eat it at ONE meal a day, because I'm low on iron and fatigued otherwise), and I cut dairy cuz it was making me sick cuz I have no gallbladder. I try my best not to eat candy or anything that isn't natural, though I have a few things I can't pass up... I also cut soda out and only drink it on the occassional pizza night and in moderation when I do drink it. And, since doing all this, I've lost about 50 pounds. Though, some of that was baby weight, as I had my son 8 months ago. But, not a whole lot of it was baby weight.
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    I cut out most meat except for fish and i completely cut out soda and candy. It's hard but i already feel better since i did.
  • kmorring2014
    kmorring2014 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When my son was a month old I cut out dairy since it was giving him awful reflux and found that it has made a huge difference in my health. My son will be 16 months old this week and I have lost 115 pounds since he was born.

The only products I eat from animals are eggs and fish.

I try not to eat processed foods as well.
  • gdjester1
    gdjester1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have completly cut out was Soda. The last time I had one was this last Superbowl weekend and I had a few Diet Dr. Peppers. I ended up gaining back 6 lbs over the weekend. Never again.

Other than soda I eat whatever I want. I just make sure not to overeat it. Things that are really high in calories such as pizzas from big chains stores (Pizza Hut, Pappa Johns, Dominoes, etc.) I only eat once in a great while now. I try not to ever eat anything from most fast food resturants either but I will if there is no other options.

I've always been a big lover of ice cream. I used to eat a big bowl of it every night. now I only eat it on special occasions and have substituted my nightly cravings of it with popsicles. One popsicle is way better for me than a big bowl of ice cream and I'm still getting my sugar fix.

I now track all my colories and hit the gym 5 to 6 times a week. I'm down almost 60lbs since the beginning of December so I must be doing something right.
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want, though I gave up soy with an elimination diet and it seemed to help with my bloated feelings. I don't think soy is bad, just that my body didn't react to it well. I let myself have free reign on Sundays, and try to plan my foods ahead of time, though I've been having a difficult time with that recently. I have a category for MFP called "Out of Control" Eating, which is when I'm stressed out and know I should stop. Sometimes this is a second helping when I know I wasn't really hungry, sometimes, like today, it's when I eat my daughter's leftovers and have candy I've been keeping for other times (yes, I'm doing okay having candy in the house MOST days). It helps to go through and see I ate 500 calories because I wasn't thinking about it. I try to make sure I have tea before I give in to these cravings.

I love the idea of this group. I really am trying to change how I eat for good. And get over the guilt of not being "perfect" all the time.
  • Guinivere
    Options
    So great to see other experimenters here. I'm a great believer that each and everyone of us should do these experiments to find what works with our unique physiology, lifestyle, age, gender, genetics and energy needs.
    There simply doesn't exist a "one size fits all".

Love too that this is shaping up to be a really positive sharing group. No bashing. No arguments, just sharing ideas and experiences and info and success.

It's kind of what I hoped MFP would be as a whole but I can appreciate that we all come from different walks of life and see the world in different ways. I hope we can continue to stay so positive and supportive.
  • Guinivere
    Options
    Also having hit a recent four month long plateau and read your replies I might try to swap a lot of the meat I eat for different fish and drop dairy apart from eggs and see if that helps my scales move a little...
  • timetravelforfitness
    Options
    ... dairy apart from eggs and see if that helps my scales move a little...

Totally off topic, but my husband and I are constantly at odds over whether eggs are dairy, I'm glad you come down on my side. ;)
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    thank you for starting this group. I am tired of diets, and working hard to figure out what works best for my body. I am 64 and will lose about 50 lbs this year (trying to be affirmative :) I do Leslie Sansone workouts, so nothing crazy but a good workout nonetheless. I recently got her strength training dvd, but need to build up to that more slowly, as I found it very hard to do without alot of hurting. And I do not believe I have to hurt to be healthy. My greatest challenge has been doing well for a week or so then falling. I do not expect to be perfect, but I do need to build more consistency in my eating well. Thank you all for being here. Together WE CAN!
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I just make small changes and substitutions to my lifestyle for easier acceptance. I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 last February, and have been working on everything from there. I started out trying the Atkins thing for a while just to get my carb cravings under control. I have made too many changes to list, and those baby steps are helping me get to my goal. Joining MFP was one of those baby steps. I decided it was time to lose some weight, and happened here looking up some calories on something I was eating one day.
  • kmorring2014
    Options
    I have been "stuck" since Thanksgiving....until last week where I finally seemed to get my head back on straight. I turn 31 next week and really just want to be a healthy example for my son (and any other kiddos that I might have). My biggest hurdle right now is exercise and not snacking or drinking crap (soda, coffee with dairy free creamer, etc) at work....gotta figure those out next. Suggestions?
  • timetravelforfitness
    Options
    I have been "stuck" since Thanksgiving....until last week where I finally seemed to get my head back on straight. I turn 31 next week and really just want to be a healthy example for my son (and any other kiddos that I might have). My biggest hurdle right now is exercise and not snacking or drinking crap (soda, coffee with dairy free creamer, etc) at work....gotta figure those out next. Suggestions?

Focusing on what I *can* have seems to help sometimes. I'm trying to get back into it, but I set some snacks up ahead of time, and keep a tea bag in the kitchen (I really like Yogi's Apple Snack Tea, even without sweetener or milk), or I offer myself a choice of two things. I find that the times I want crap are the times I'm most feeling like a child. So having things already set up the way I need them to be, by the "me" that can act like an adult (usually in the morning or right before bed), I don't need to think as much. But I'm still fighting. I hope other people have some great ideas.
  • kmorring2014
    Options

Focusing on what I *can* have seems to help sometimes. I'm trying to get back into it, but I set some snacks up ahead of time, and keep a tea bag in the kitchen (I really like Yogi's Apple Snack Tea, even without sweetener or milk), or I offer myself a choice of two things. I find that the times I want crap are the times I'm most feeling like a child. So having things already set up the way I need them to be, by the "me" that can act like an adult (usually in the morning or right before bed), I don't need to think as much. But I'm still fighting. I hope other people have some great ideas.

Thanks! That helps! :) And I love most tea (never have used creamer or sugar in it - just straight up).
  • Guinivere
    Options
    Planning really helps me, I make batches of food on Sundays that last all week. I have control over the ingredients and really only make food I love to eat. It's my own version of fast food! As long as I eat enough good fats and protein I don't crave carbs. I've just discovered Mindfulness too which is a new a tool to help me handle my busy life and take back control over my emotional eating.