New

Options
njitaliana
njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
My blood sugar has been high twice, in the prediabetic range.. I want to avoid diabetes, so I'm here to learn.

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Welcome. The single BEST resource I can point you to (and I'd encourage you to read as much as possible) is "Blood Sugar 101" ... you can google it or go to www.bloodsugar101.com for the information.

The next advice I can give depends on what tests were done that you were "high" on ...

If you've been in pre-diabetic range on a fasting blood glucose test (and you're able to) I'd ask for either an HbA1c or a OGGT (oral glucose tolerance test). Either of these tests will give you a much better indication of where you are on the diabetic spectrum than a fasting blood glucose test will.

Honestly I'm disappointed that we still use as diagnostic criteria for diabetes (or pre-diabetes) the fasting tests as it's most-often the LAST symptom to develop. You can have an impaired glucose metabolism for YEARS before your fasting blood glucose starts to show as a symptom. If you can, get an HbA1c or OGGT.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi njitlaiana, Welcome to the Type 2 Diabetes Support Group, nice to meet you!

The bloodsugar101.com site albertabeefy pointed you to, is indeed one of the best online resources available.

You'll quickly find-as already evidenced, the many knowledgeable, supportive and encouraging members of this community eager to share there experience(s) with you in an effort to help, giving us each the additional knowledge we don't stand alone.

Best wishes for your success and good health!
  • diabetesdieter
    diabetesdieter Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!

You've already taken a great step toward health. I wish I had not ignored mine and paid better attention. You can get your blood sugar in check before you develop full blown diabetes! Weight loss and exercise are key. I wish I had paid better attention when diagnosed with gestational diabetes!

Kerri
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Kudos for getting a preventative jump start! A reduced carb diet (not no carb) and daily exercise are key components for managing blood sugars. There's tons of info online and lots of helpful folks here.

It's a lot to wrap your head around at first but it's pretty easy to pick up the key points quickly. It's an ongoing learning process for me. I've been at this since December and am amazed at how much I've learned, but there's still a lot I don't know.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is the key. Learn all you can about diabetes and then make lifestyle adjustments accordingly. You're already way ahead of the people that prefer to just ignore it or do nothing more than take a pill.