Wedding make up

Options
Cal28
Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
As someone who tends to only ever wear eyeliner and nothing else trying to sort my (DIY) wedding make up has been interesting!

Thanks to Google I currently have:

Smashbox photo finish primer
Make Up Forever HD Foundation
Elf Translucent powder
Elf Mist & Set
Illamasque Climax lippy
My usual Mac Liquidlast eyeliner.

What have I missed? Are any of you wearing fake eyelashes?
I'm so clueless...

Replies

• princesslucylou86
    Options
    Im hoping to get eyelash extensions but if not ill be getting fake eyelashes! apparently you need a little white sparkle underneath your eyes...so ive been told but im clueless too!! xxx
  • Cal28
    Options
    So relieved it's not just me! :smile: Maybe someone else will be able to guide us.
    Hmm lash extensions...? My friend just mentioned those, never even knew they existed!
  • Luvs_Rage_Phish
    Luvs_Rage_Phish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my own makeup too. There are lots of GREAT tutorials online for traditional wedding makeup.

If you don't have it yet I'd recommend some sort of blush and bronzer to contour your face and some eye shadow - I don't think these were on your list. You want to wear more a little makeup than is normal for you if you are planning on a lot of pictures.

I'd recommend going to a makeup counter in a department store or Saphora and having them do you makeup to show you what to do - often they are free and you can get some good tips. Also if you go the eyelash extension route make sure you go to someone good so you don't look like you have tarantula eyes - I've seen it. And if you go the fake eyelash route I'd spring for the nicer ones at the MAC counter or something like that. The drug-store ones are great but you might want to have a little higher quality for your wedding.
  • Cal28
    Options
    I was looking at Mac. Are the separate ones better than the full length ones?

Unfortunately we're 3 1/2 hours drive away from any 'real' make-up stores (like Mac etc) joys of living in the country!

This might be a super dumb question but if you do Fake Lashes do you still need mascara?

What colour eyeshadow are you going with?

Our photographer is a photojournalist so we won't have too many posed photos but I'm still a bit worried!
  • Luvs_Rage_Phish
    Options
    I was looking at Mac. Are the separate ones better than the full length ones?

Unfortunately we're 3 1/2 hours drive away from any 'real' make-up stores (like Mac etc) joys of living in the country!

This might be a super dumb question but if you do Fake Lashes do you still need mascara?

What colour eyeshadow are you going with?

Our photographer is a photojournalist so we won't have too many posed photos but I'm still a bit worried!

I think I'm going to go with the full ones rather than the separate ones. I think I'll be more successful doing those in a way that looks right. Either way I'd recommend buying a few and practicing. Don't want your first time trying them out to be that morning.

I personally think it looks better to do a swipe or two of mascara after you have the lashes on so that they can blend in with each other more. Again - I'm sure there are a lot of youtube tutorials that'll reference fake eyelashes - and I'm sure everyone has a different opinion.

I think I'm going to go with light highlight color under my brow and in the inner bottom corner of my lid and then a couple shades of brown for the crease. Keep it natural looking.
  • ElvisBaby88
    ElvisBaby88 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I just did my make-up trial and learned a lot! I am paying someone to do my makeup...it is something I am paying for something I really wanted!

Some tips I learned: Deff use a primer the day of, deff try some contouring (it really looks great), deff do the fake lashes and add just a little mascara to them, and MOST important...fill in your eyebrows...it makes a huge difference in pictures- my makeup artist likes a powder option versus a pencil (more realistic) when filling in your brows. Hope some of this helps :)
  • Cal28
    Options
    Definitely! I've got Smashbox Primer but I'm just not seeing the benefit... What's it meant to do?! lol.
    Work have organised a hen do for me in Australia which is very sweet so might try some full eyelashes out then! Thanks ladies x
  • Luvs_Rage_Phish
    Options
    I've got Smashbox Primer but I'm just not seeing the benefit... What's it meant to do?!

Think of it like primer on your walls before you paint... makes everything go on smoother and stay in place.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I've got Smashbox Primer but I'm just not seeing the benefit... What's it meant to do?!

Think of it like primer on your walls before you paint... makes everything go on smoother and stay in place.

Yep. I have oily skin and always got a bad crease from eye makeup. I started using Urban Decay Primer potion and it's amazing how my eye make up stays perfect all day. No creases, no smeared eye liner. I will NEVER wear eye make up without it again!!
  • Bethie8585
    Options
    I'm going for my trial the day of my wedding shower April 27th, one of the spluges I'm allowing myself on a tight budget because when I do my makeup it tends to fade after awhile (I even spent $$ on the expensive bare minerals stuff and by the end of the day I look l could play the lead in "Night of the Living Dead' lol)

I'm hoping it turns out well theres doing Airbrush makeup??? Has anyone had this before?
  • Cal28
    Options
    I've just bought Maybelline colour tattoo eyeshadow, there aren't many colours but boy does it stay put!! No creases, nothing! I've only had it a week so still playing at how to wear it best but in terms of duration I'm really impressed.

Mght also have a look at the Urban decay eye primer though, thanks!

Aww my hair trial is the day of my hen do! :-) Seen lots of great news about airbrush makeup, let us know how you get on. Sure you'll be beautiful!

Its all getting exciting! 36 days to go.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I've just bought Maybelline colour tattoo eyeshadow, there aren't many colours but boy does it stay put!! No creases, nothing! I've only had it a week so still playing at how to wear it best but in terms of duration I'm really impressed.

Mght also have a look at the Urban decay eye primer though, thanks!

Aww my hair trial is the day of my hen do! :-) Seen lots of great news about airbrush makeup, let us know how you get on. Sure you'll be beautiful!

Its all getting exciting! 36 days to go.

Seriously, you won't regret it. It's $15 for the trial size and $20 for the full size. I have both but have been using the trial size for 2 months and still plenty left.

Literally, I have always had make up melt off my face within hours. The primer makes my eye make up look as perfect as when I put it on, even 12 hours later.