Hip thrust bruises

Options
JKDLady
JKDLady Posts: 131 Member
So, I started week 9 of the first program in SC this week. My first exercise was the hip thrust with a barbell. Since it was my first time, I decided only to use the barbell. I was able to do three sets of 20, but it was a little uncomfortable and awkward. I woke up the next morning to find two beautiful bruises on either hip. I wonder if I placed the bar in the correct spot. I'm not sure how sore I will be when I repeat this exercise on Thursday, but I'm going to try.

Does anyone know if this is normal?

Replies

• Bugsgettingfit
    Bugsgettingfit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten to adding the barbell to my hip thrusts yet, but when I started hoop dancing, I got mad bruises on my hips, and they went away with more 'use'. The same thing happened to different areas of my body when I was just beginning as well. I think it is the body's way of warming up to an exercise, pressure, or movement.

I would check out this blogpost: http://itrainthereforeieat.com/tag/barbell-hip-thrust/ and maybe try a pad next time! In that blogpost, she says to use a rolled up yoga mat.

Hope that helps!
  • krispy1982
    krispy1982 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My hips hurt way before my butt does and I'm looking for a solution too. I think I'm going to try pieces of pool noodle or that foam pipe insulation and see how that works. Thanks bugs, I'll check out that post too!
  • JKDLady
    JKDLady Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I ended up putting a towel under the bar which helped. I do think it will get better with time.

Thanks for the link.