Running in the Rain

Options

Replies

• TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Don't mind running in the rain - except that I wear glasses, and I bleedin' hate not being able to see properly either because I have to leave them at home, or because they don't have windscreen/windshield wipers on them!
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Love running in the rain. Basically will run in almost any weather. Not a fan of thunderstorms, -30 degree or colder temps or morning runs as the snow melts due to the thin sheets of ice that I do not always notice when it is still dark out.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I don't love it, and it isn't the rain part I hate it's the stuff that sometimes comes with it like winds so strong that the rain feels like shards of glass cutting into you.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the rain as long as it's not too windy, but I won't ever scrap a planned run for rain (maybe adjust the start time). This being San Diego, there's a good chance it will clear up in an hour, and an even better chance that the boardwalk and running paths will be super empty. San Diegans don't know how to do rain.
    ...Advice I give to new runners when asked:
    Run in the rain, and running clothes have the underwear built in.

Accurate and brilliant!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    The only weather that is guaranteed to keep me inside is freezing rain or a thunderstorm. Other than that you can have an enjoyable run in pretty much any weather if you're dressed properly.
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Wish I could post something here, but I'm in Southern California :)
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options

Haha!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Oh. I love the rain in SoCal
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    In south Louisiana, we get more rain (over 70 inches per year) than most places in the U.S.A. If you are serious in your training/hobby, you’ll have to eventually face dealing with it. I run and bike in the rain, cold, heat, wind, sleet, fog, even hurricanes! It doesn't bother me very much, you just have to dress the part and take caution.

Running in a down pour is quite liberating or cycling in thunderstorms with a 40mph tailwind/downdraft is like nothing else!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Don't mind running in the rain - except that I wear glasses, and I bleedin' hate not being able to see properly either because I have to leave them at home, or because they don't have windscreen/windshield wipers on them!

This. I can't see in the rain. I cannot leave my glasses at home (very bad vision) and cannot wear contacts (sjogren's) and don't qualify for corrective surgery.

I also can't stand being cold (even with synthroid and normal thyroid now I am always cold), so rain and cold kills me.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much it is raining, I live in a low lying area, so it doesn't take much rain for the streets to start flooding. If it isn't a hard rain, I love it.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain, but i hate how i spend all winter training in poop rainy conditions for spring races where its always really hot and then i cant pb because i've been training in another climate....
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm Irish if I didn't run in the rain I wouldn't run at all :)

Not a huge fan of the wind though .
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Rain doesn't bother me. You know what weather I dislike the most to run in? Wind. I hate running when it's really windy. It just plain sucks. I do it anyway of course, but I hate it.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Yeah, very true. I just take them off. Everything becomes a huge blur, but it's better than having rain on my glasses which irritates my OCD. :o)
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Yeah, very true. I just take them off. Everything becomes a huge blur, but it's better than having rain on my glasses which irritates my OCD. :o)

Totally agree! I have daily disposable contacts that I only ever wear for races and long runs. (Well, and roller coasters and the beach) I can't stand not being able to see while I'm running!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options

Totally agree! I have daily disposable contacts that I only ever wear for races and long runs. (Well, and roller coasters and the beach) I can't stand not being able to see while I'm running!

I LOVE that you used roller coasters as an actual activity that would require contact lenses.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Love love love running in rain ....
  • julesdoc23
    julesdoc23 Posts: 3
    Options
    I really like running in the rain. To be honest, being from Britain the last couple of warm weekends have really been tough. I've gotten so used to running in the cold and rain that the slightest bit of warmth and I don't know how to cope!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain, but i hate how i spend all winter training in poop rainy conditions for spring races where its always really hot and then i cant pb because i've been training in another climate....

Classic runner problem.