Marathon training burnout

Options
thepetiterunner
thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
Hi happy runners!

I know I can't be the only one suffering from this, so I thought I'd ask you knowledgeable, friendly people your advice.

I ran my second marathon this past December and had been initially planning on running another in April, but I've been suffering from major mental training burnout. I know physically I'm capable of handling more running, but actually getting myself to *want* to run is an entirely other beast.

How do you guys handle this? Or do you just not plan marathons back to back? I'm running a half in June, but I'd like to try to run a marathon each year. My first marathon was in 2011 and I had the same thing happen right after - my will to run just evaporated.

Anyway, I welcome your thoughts and experiences.

Happy running,

Cathy

Replies

• marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    After I did my first marathon I didn't run for almost two months. After my 54-miler last year I also didn't run again for almost two months (slight improvement in burnout time there! :D) So you are not alone.
    I find that I sometimes just need the mental break. All those sums the whole week trying to figure out how you are going to get the required mileage in for the distance that you want to race. I find that more exhausting than the actual training.

Try setting a new goal. A race that excites you, such as a nice trail race or a doable 10k. Something that isn't too daunting but will be fun to run. If you are lucky to have running partners meet up with them again. I find that I start to miss my running buddies and the only way we ever meet up is when we run.

I hope you get your mojo back soon!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My $.02 - there is NO magic to running 26.2. It's a long way to run, and even longer way to race.

Find whatever distance makes you the happiest. Personally, I love racing half marathons.

Also, you may find you enjoy training runs more than racing.

Now strap on your shoes and find that mojo!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for your replies. I'm starting to get my running mojo back. Buying cute/fun/neat running clothes/gadgets/snacks helps a bit :)

I think the marathon isn't necessarily going to be my favorite distance to race - I think like you, Arc, the half marathon is more "fun", but I do like the challenge and commitment the marathon requires. And I do think I like training more than the actual race. Go figure.

THanks again for your replies. :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I experienced burnout too, and because this and other reasons, I quit running in summer 2011 for 1.5 years (I regret this so much). My advice is to change things up - but don't give it up - if it's what you really like to do.

I swore off of trails and gave them another chance, turns out I just had a bad first one and I love running them.

I did a full marathon well before I was ready, and now I want to do another and am filling my calendar with other stuff to pass the time.

Training is the toughest part!